Breaking: we aren’t getting shyt / student loan forgiveness blocked. (Supreme Court ruling)

King Jove

King Of †he Gawds
Daps
Reppin
[redacted]
The opposition doesn’t vote with the Dems on 3 major bills.

You don’t get those 3 major bills without Manchin having his seat

That’s not opposition
You don't get progressive legislation when you vote to gut every progression legislation

Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., delivered a serious blow to ongoing Senate negotiations for a Democratic budget package, telling Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., on Thursday that he will not support a bill that includes climate or tax provisions — leaving slimmed-down legislation focused on health care.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
2016: The gift that keep on giving :wow:
:snoop:

shyt is so sad breh. I saw a thread today with someone asking why Biden can't just shut down the supreme Court rulings tryna make this about dems being weak.

People who don't understand how the country run have all the loud opinions.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
At what point are the people who go hard in the paint towards black "bothsiders" going to have smoke for non-black people who have higher republican voter rates. Black people even with all our complaining still gonna be blindly voting Democrat at the highest percentages. When are people going to have smoke for the other groups like Asians and Hispanics who never have to sacrifice for the greater good?

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Did it tho? Ppl were already paying these loans, right?

Personally, and this isn't popular, but I don't know how to feel. I paid my loan off, but I didn't have a gigantic amount bc my mom had been putting aside for college .

But I did still have to pay back several thousand dollars and this is even after I got laid off from my first post-college job. Those bills didn't stop for me.

So You got ppl who had to get 2nd jobs or side hustles to pay off their loans....and then you got ppl expecting it to just be wiped away for free.

How is it fair for ppl who spent say 30 yrs paying theirs back or got 2nd jobs etc....for some else to get theirs free?

If that's the case, then run me my money back that I paid.

People who've paid off their loans gotta stop saying this. The vast majority of people at all economic levels haven't. Not to mention that the basis of Debt Forgiveness isn't about people "not paying them back".

1. It's about the context in which the loans were given being predatory and without proper consultation on a national scale. Basically federalized sharking. If you combine that with a market in the early to mid 2000's that basically said you can't get gainful employment without a degree and you've created a system where people who can't afford school HAVE to take out loans in order to even get in the door for most gigs. It was systemic exploitation of the working class student.

2. Income hasn't adjusted for the standard of living but the interest rates on loans keep going up. So before too long you have a situation where a large portion of the country is in default. That will decimate credit scores and make it virtually impossible to maintain the current housing market/inventory (the biggest source of wealth in America). If you let that happen, we basically have '08 or worse once boomers die out and their kids can't afford to maintain the homes they own.

3. You just said your folks put money aside for you for schooling. That wasn't true for millions of people. Your entire economic foundation for school was set. Therefore, you didn't have the same burden as many others. If you bought a truck for $50k and paid it off up front, you wouldn't be upset if that same truck got knocked down to $35k with a $5k rebate six months later. You'd just chalk it up to the cost of getting what you want when you wanted it.

You're debt free and that's fantastic. With no sarcasm, that's a great accomplishment. But your circumstance can't apply to the millions of others who bought into a system that told them this was the path to upward mobility.

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
People keep talking about student loans but very little about reducing the cost to go to college, like capping the amount of student loans you can take or the amount schools can charge.

Of course, putting limits on that would probably close at least half the schools in the country to begin with, so...

XannyWarbucks

Superstar
Daps
Did it tho? Ppl were already paying these loans, right?

Personally, and this isn't popular, but I don't know how to feel. I paid my loan off, but I didn't have a gigantic amount bc my mom had been putting aside for college .

But I did still have to pay back several thousand dollars and this is even after I got laid off from my first post-college job. Those bills didn't stop for me.

So You got ppl who had to get 2nd jobs or side hustles to pay off their loans....and then you got ppl expecting it to just be wiped away for free.

How is it fair for ppl who spent say 30 yrs paying theirs back or got 2nd jobs etc....for some else to get theirs free?

If that's the case, then run me my money back that I paid.
I have paid/am paying mine, but I understand it's a bullshyt practice.
I don't owe anywhere near as my friends (less than 5000 left--that I can payoff today). Just because something was unfair to us doesn't mean it should continue. How can we change anything if we say, "well, I paid for it and did it, even though it sucked."

My niece is going to school this year. Unlike when I went to school, I was able to teach her everything about loans and how they work. I didn't have that, and many others don't have that. I was fired from teaching/tutoring because I held SAT Prep and Financial Literacy courses at a school. I don't want the younger generations to have to go through something (that wasn't a huge burden for me-- but a burden nonetheless), all because you and I had to do struggle with it.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
At what point are the people who go hard in the paint towards black "bothsiders" going to have smoke for non-black people who have higher republican voter rates. Black people even with all our complaining still gonna be blindly voting Democrat at the highest percentages. When are people going to have smoke for the other groups like Asians and Hispanics who never have to sacrifice for the greater good?

As one who has Asian and Hispanic friends...they totally have these conversations internally. The concept that they don't vote overwhelmingly democratic is a lie. Statistically almost every minority votes progressive. There just isn't as many of us and them to combat the middle of the country + Florida.
We just constantly underestimate just how many white people there are in this country. Major coastal cities will skew your view on this. But this is changing.

They only kept Texas by the skin of their teeth...TEXAS. If that state were to shift even purple, there's no way conservatives hold the Executive Branch for the foreseeable future.

XannyWarbucks

Superstar
Daps
People keep talking about student loans but very little about reducing the cost to go to college, like capping the amount of student loans you can take or the amount schools can charge.

Of course, putting limits on that would probably close at least half the schools in the country to begin with, so...
I agree with this, but it felt like this was a start in the right generation. The whole system needs to be changed. It's a fukking mess.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
People who've paid off their loans gotta stop saying this. The vast majority of people at all economic levels haven't. Not to mention that the basis of Debt Forgiveness isn't about people "not paying them back".

1. It's about the context in which the loans were given being predatory and without proper consultation on a national scale. Basically federalized sharking. If you combine that with a market in the early to mid 2000's that basically said you can't get gainful employment without a degree and you've created a system where people who can't afford school HAVE to take out loans in order to even get in the door for most gigs. It was systemic exploitation of the working class student.

2. Income hasn't adjusted for the standard of living but the interest rates on loans keep going up. So before too long you have a situation where a large portion of the country is in default. That will decimate credit scores and make it virtually impossible to maintain the current housing market/inventory (the biggest source of wealth in America). If you let that happen, we basically have '08 or worse once boomers die out and their kids can't afford to maintain the homes they own.

3. You just said your folks put money aside for you for schooling. That wasn't true for millions of people. Your entire economic foundation for school was set. Therefore, you didn't have the same burden as many others. If you bought a truck for $50k and paid it off up front, you wouldn't be upset if that same truck got knocked down to $35k with a $5k rebate six months later. You'd just chalk it up to the cost of getting what you want when you wanted it.

You're debt free and that's fantastic. With no sarcasm, that's a great accomplishment. But your circumstance can't apply to the millions of others who bought into a system that told them this was the path to upward mobility.
I appreciate this post.

But I'm not even so much as comparing myself. That's why I stated mine was several thousand, not $40-50k. Even with That being said, I still had to pay mine back while being laid off for an extended period.

My point is, someone who worked a 2nd or 3rd job for 10 years to pay off their $50k loan may not have sympathy for, someone wanting theirs wiped out for free, no matter how you try to explain it to them.