Breaking... Ubisoft Erases your digital games if you don't play them!!!! :wow::wtf: :dahell:

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Let's keep it a buck. Most of these companies are legit, using the "launchers" as a way to farm digi currency. Ubi moving sloppy with the blatant attempts. You got to realize that this is going to be the future. We are buying Trojan horses with good graphics and a community of gamers that are getting fukked over.

Don't be surprised if this becomes the trend as we head into a era of digital gaming over physical. Hence, why they are speeding up the demise of physical gaming. There's more money to be made on the superhighway, than a trip to a local bummed up Gamestop :wow:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Any game that requires you to do some kind of login in-game is immediately sketchy to me.

We all know online support ends eventually for every game and having the whole game locked behind some online service means you can end up in a SFxT/RE5 situation like when Games for Windows Live died and you couldn't boot these games.

This is what i exactly said from day 1 when me and meach started arguing about gamepass and digital downloads years ago here...:francis: These companies got the keys to lock YOUR purchase behind a paywall and it's not a good look...:beli: but as usual meach defending it even now...

Fanservice

Bih call me senpai
Daps
Digital "ownership" is going to be an issue. But convenience trumps all for most:francis:
02z9ltMavb7bZuVr1m6Cxpl-1..v1647016261.jpg

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It doesn't cost that much though, and removing the license seems pointless. Is that actually a major cost for them?
I’m not sure of the cost, but i don’t think any company would be ok with incurring perpetual cost for dormant accounts. even if it’s just a couple dollars if they have thousands or millions of dormant accounts it could ad up fast.
I logged onto my old 360 a few weeks back, and all of my games are there (with the exception of delisted titles). I haven't used the console in years, will they try this shyt on me in a few years? Does that mean they can just erase the thousands of dollars I spent on it?
Microsoft is probably the best at offering advantageous terms for digital customers. They own all the servers so it probably literally cost them $0 to maintain accounts. But even they say they will close an account after 2 years of not being used,

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
This is what i exactly said from day 1 when me and meach started arguing about gamepass and digital downloads years ago here...:francis: These companies got the keys to lock YOUR purchase behind a paywall and it's not a good look...:beli: but as usual meach defending it even now...
it was ignorance then and it’s ignorance now.

They can’t lock you out of games you’ve already purchased and downloaded

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Requiring accounts for games is already lame af, everything that happens afterward is a direct result of that

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Requiring accounts for games is already lame af, everything that happens afterward is a direct result of that
Pretty much all publishers do this. Can’t remember the last AAA game i played that didn’t ask me to create an account or log on before i play.

And this has NOTHING to do with digital vs Physical.

With a closed ubi account you’d have to create a new one to play their games on a disc as well.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I’m not sure of the cost, but i don’t think any company would be ok with incurring perpetual cost for dormant accounts. even if it’s just a couple dollars if they have thousands or millions of dormant accounts it could ad up fast.

Microsoft is probably the best at offering advantageous terms for digital customers. They own all the servers so it probably literally cost them $0 to maintain accounts. But even they say they will close an account after 2 years of not being used,
I hear you, and I often argue against "gamer entitlement" and faulty idealism when it comes to business. But this move by Ubi just seems blatantly anti-consumer and hurting their brand which needs fan goodwill and to rebuild trust.

Maybe they can try to winback those dormant accounts rather than just write them off? Sending emails probably isn't enough, and maybe the address is out of date, not sure of laws but I'm sure we gave them a bunch of data and rights in the TOS? Make that an incentive internally rather than cut during fiscal periods to try and save face...

Just seems short-sighted to worry about server costs and not why folks are abandoning their platform instead...