Breaking... Ubisoft Erases your digital games if you don't play them!!!! :wow::wtf: :dahell:

Software

RIP Future Gohan
Daps
Reppin
Swole Gang
It doesn’t.

I saved my wedding vows in a yahoo email account. Didn’t use the account for years. At some point i wanted to go back and get them, the account was closed and yahoo told me to kick rocks.

If this was a paid service sure, they should keep it. But for free? We are lucky they give us as much time as they do.
Umm not really your account can still exist what the cost is for them is storage of the data associated with your account. Emails are different from games because they are tailored to the individual and unique to you. So 1 gigabyte of email data is gonna be 1 gigabyte for just you. Sometimes companies do have to delete your accounts because of data retention policy changes and lawsuits. If you don't sign in to agree to the new terms of use they purge your data to keep the out of being liable.

Game data is different its shared everyone gets the same copy so a 75 gb game is gonna be kept and shared for everyone. This is ignoring the sharding/replication for availability aspect of it tho which would increase the storage one game would need on servers. All the store fronts need to do is keep account info which is gonna be a bunch of text (that's hopefully encrypted), blob storage for your profile pic if it's custom, and your game licenses info which should also be pretty small.
Then add on top of that a good compression algorithm and they can keep the costs manageable in my view.

Maybe I'm underestimating the size of the info required for storage of basic user inform on a storefront like steam or Xbox but it seems manageable to keep it for a lifetime. If not that long but a substantially long time to go without logging into an account like 15-20 years. I'm not expecting games media like video clips, pictures etc. To last that long but just knowing which games users purchased and can download should.
4 years is way too short of a time period. I've had game consoles I didn't play for 7 years then suddenly logged on and played a game out the blue.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

Inactive Ubisoft accounts, with no PC purchases or active subscriptions tied to them, may be closed in order to comply with data protection laws after long periods of inactivity.

Accounts tied to an active Ubisoft subscription, or PC games that have been purchased from the Ubisoft store, are not eligible for deletion.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Umm not really your account can still exist what the cost is for them is storage of the data associated with your account. Emails are different from games because they are tailored to the individual and unique to you. So 1 gigabyte of email data is gonna be 1 gigabyte for just you. Sometimes companies do have to delete your accounts because of data retention policy changes and lawsuits. If you don't sign in to agree to the new terms of use they purge your data to keep the out of being liable.

Game data is different its shared everyone gets the same copy so a 75 gb game is gonna be kept and shared for everyone. This is ignoring the sharding/replication for availability aspect of it tho which would increase the storage one game would need on servers. All the store fronts need to do is keep account info which is gonna be a bunch of text (that's hopefully encrypted), blob storage for your profile pic if it's custom, and your game licenses info which should also be pretty small.
Then add on top of that a good compression algorithm and they can keep the costs manageable in my view.
I’m not exactly sure if the cost, but i don’t think it’s the responsibility of the company to spend any money on a dormant account. You can argue over how long before an account should be considered “dormant”. But i think 4 years and a couple emails is sufficient time.

Maybe I'm underestimating the size of the info required for storage of basic user inform on a storefront like steam or Xbox but it seems manageable to keep it for a lifetime. If not that long but a substantially long time to go without logging into an account like 15-20 years. I'm not expecting games media like video clips, pictures etc. To last that long but just knowing which games users purchased and can download should.
4 years is way too short of a time period. I've had game consoles I didn't play for 7 years then suddenly logged on and played a game out the blue.
In this case you would still be able to play your ubisoft games. If you have your games already on a console and you decide to pull your console/pc out of the closet you can still play the games. You just won’t have access to your ubisoft account for saves or to re-download stuff.

Volt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Rio
Here's my gripes about this whole ordeal....

Even though we all agree about Ubisoft being fukking shyt, but where's the smoke for Nintendo with their stance on digital purchases?

For instance, when they shut down the Wii servers and etc, it was a friggin mess for folks to keep their purchases. Hell, I actually deleted my Nintendo account at ease, and they did not bat an eye versus Steam where they want to make sure you have a pulse, Sony who hates "players" hold down your account, and Microsoft with its Streamlined approach.

As much as I enjoy Nintendo for their history, I despise their old school ways concerning their struggle online services and their digital distribution (their 1st party games being stuck at the silly price of 59.99)
Because whenever a Nintendo console croaks, it already has emulators running their games better than the original hardware.

Even as a Nintendo fan, it's just impossible to not admit that they're idiots with how their entire infrastructure and hardware work.

They just make some really fukking good games :wow:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY

farley-chris.gif

Its worse than I thought....:dead: :huhldup:

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I’m not sure why you’d expect any company to perpetually hold your purchase record for you especially if you have not been a customer of theirs for years.

What company does this? And why do you feel entitled to this type of service for free?
I brought some random thing that I was given as a gift (it was originally bought at Costco) back for an exchange, YEARS LATER, with no receipt, and they honored it lol...

Why can't they just deactivate it, why delete it altogether?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I brought some random thing that I was given as a gift (it was originally bought at Costco) back for an exchange, YEARS LATER, with no receipt, and they honored it lol...
They musta just been nice to you. Their policy is 90 days.
Why can't they just deactivate it, why delete it altogether?
Cost money to maintain the accounts.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Once more ignorance and outrage prevails.

If you buy a ubisoft game on steam. It is not tied to a particular ubisoft account. You can play the game with any ubisoft account you want.

If your ubisoft account is closed you can’t play the game with that particular account. But the game itself won’t be disabled. You just have to create or use a new/different ubisoft account.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
They musta just been nice to you. Their policy is 90 days.

Cost money to maintain the accounts.
It doesn't cost that much though, and removing the license seems pointless. Is that actually a major cost for them?

I logged onto my old 360 a few weeks back, and all of my games are there (with the exception of delisted titles). I haven't used the console in years, will they try this shyt on me in a few years? Does that mean they can just erase the thousands of dollars I spent on it?

Volt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Rio
farley-chris.gif

Its worse than I thought....:dead: :huhldup:
Any game that requires you to do some kind of login in-game is immediately sketchy to me.

We all know online support ends eventually for every game and having the whole game locked behind some online service means you can end up in a SFxT/RE5 situation like when Games for Windows Live died and you couldn't boot these games.