BREAKING: Dan Campbell under investigation for game-fixing...colibrehs coppin pleas

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
That first 4th down decision was fine. Dude dropped an open pass, what can you do. The final 4th down call was insane. I'm not opposed to going for it. But empty backfield 4th and short is insane. Utterly insane play call. That's on the OC, who it sounds like will be Washington's coach next year. I thought we got way too cute in that second half. Multiple trick plays, veering away from the run at bad times....just a clinic of bad decisions.

End of the day guys gotta catch open balls. And make open field tackles. I'm not giving Campbell all or most of the blame.
Agreed with you that I didn't love that last 4th down call, but at that point the team in imploding and you need something to rally around cause it's falling apart and you may never get it back.

Ben Johnson called an EXCELLENT game. Reynolds dropped multiple plays that were drive killers, Williams dropped a TD (really it was a whiff instead of a drop) on that trick play.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Why shyt on them for a philosophy that got them this far?

His philosophy isn’t to for every 4th down. He kicked one before the half.

When you can put pressure on your opponent by going up 3 scores you have to take it. It completely changes the mindset of the opponent. You go up 3 scores and you tell the opponent “yeah all you did in this half so far is waste time, good luck with that, the clock is on our side”. Instead you gave the opponent life and they saw they can eat away at you. A 2 score lead is nothing, 3 scores is panic.

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX
Because the Coli is obsessed with being Monday Morning QB

If they had gone away from that philosophy AND LOST, then you would have had threads saying:

"Why didn't they do what got them there? They've been aggressive all season.. why are they being conservative now in the biggest game of the season"

I've seen the conservative playcalling fuk you over (2020 NFC Championship game going for the FG instead of on 4th down at the end of the game and offense never got the ball back)

No matter what you can't win in sports, cause social media/talking heads will just pivot

How did 4th down aggression get them there? All it does is increase variance, dude was gambling for no reason.

They converted 1 against the Rams in a goal line situation and 1 against the Bucs in another goal line situation.

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
How did 4th down aggression get them there? All it does is increase variance, dude was gambling for no reason.

They converted 1 against the Rams in a goal line situation and 1 against the Bucs in another goal line situation.
They've been one of the most aggressive teams in the NFL for a couple seasons now and it got them the #3 seed and a trip the NFC Championship game after decades of incompetence.

The Lions have gone for it on fourth down 123 times since 2021, most in the league

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
On the road, you have a chance to make it a 3 score game. You have no business being up in this game...take the points. The momentum swung completely.

With a bad kicker who isn't automatic from there? It was the right call. I'd rather put my faith in the offense to make a play. Goff got it to the right guy, who literally dropped a pass he's caught all year.

Cheese McNair

Bought it this morning, drive it like I stole it
Daps
With a bad kicker who isn't automatic from there? It was the right call. I'd rather put my faith in the offense to make a play. Goff got it to the right guy, who literally dropped a pass he's caught all year.

That’s cool but on 4th and 2 and not run the ball? which was working great.

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX
They've been one of the most aggressive teams in the NFL for a couple seasons now and it got them the #3 seed and a trip the NFC Championship game after decades of incompetence.

The Panthers went for it even more often on 4th and had a similar conversion percentage. They are entering into decades of incompetence.

If I were making a list of things that got them there I'd put stuff like:

Strong o-line
Hitting on draft picks
Goff playing well for relatively cheap
Campbells leadership
Strong OC/DC
Getting to play 4 games vs the NFC South
Meh division

all ahead of aggression.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
That’s cool but on 4th and 2 and not run the ball? which was working great.

I agree! And I said this multiple times including during the play. 4th and short and we're in shotgun. That's insane play calling and it's on the OC, who got way too fukking cute in the second half (don't even get me started on the trick plays). The point is that going for it made sense, it was the right analytics decision, etc. The problem was the play, on that second 4th down.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Then they should have gotten a kicker. I'd still give the kicker a shot and if he doesn't make it then it is what it is. Didn't like the playcall anyways.

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Bullshyt.

It was a 45 yard FG with a kicker who hasn't missed yet in the 4 games he's played this season and was 80% last season on those.

Take the points

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
The Panthers went for it even more often on 4th and had a similar conversion percentage. They are entering into decades of incompetence.

If I were making a list of things that got them there I'd put stuff like:

Strong o-line
Hitting on draft picks
Goff playing well for relatively cheap
Campbells leadership
Strong OC/DC
Getting to play 4 games vs the NFC South
Meh division

all ahead of aggression.
Disagree.. Dan Campbell preaches scraping and clawing and doing whatever you gotta do cause he trusts his team to get it done. They're the underdogs so they gotta make the most of their situations. That's the way they play, that's the culture.

The mentality being "we won't go quietly and with a whimper". Now whether that's always a great strategy, no strategy is.. but that's their current culture

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town

THEY HAVE A 52% SUCCESS RATE ON 4TH.

THATS BASICALLY A COIN TOSS.

YOU DONT GAMBLE A TRIP
TO THE SUPER BOWL ON A COIN TOSS.

MAKES NO SENSE TO KICK
THE FG AT THE END OF THE 1st HALF
THEN IMMEDIATELY ABANDON IT
ON YOUR FIRST POSSESSION OF THE SECOND HALF.

:devil:
:evil:

And they were like a yard or two from the end zone. It was 21-7, and you have a chance to go up 28-7. Even if you don’t convert, it’s still a two TD game.