Breaking Bad

Day_Walker

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I seen a funny interview with Giancarlo Esposito (Gus)....he was going up to his hotel room, he was in NY doing a play I think. It was in between season 3 and 4.

Anyway, he's on the elevator, and it stops, and a bunch of "young hooligans" got on....drunk, talking loud, smelling like weed, cussing, etc....one of them bumps into Giancarlo, and turns around like like :childplease:....then he notices who he's looking at, turns back around like :merchant: and says to his boys in a low voice "cut all that shyt out man, it's Gus!".

Fred.
:lolbron:

BamdaDon

All Star
Daps
Damn out of boredom I started watching from episode one again last night. Wacthed 4 straight, I have no idea how anybody hates on this show especially having seen all the episodes. fukk piff show is meth :myman:

JulesWinfield

TheBrehdrenMovement
Daps
I seen a funny interview with Giancarlo Esposito (Gus)....he was going up to his hotel room, he was in NY doing a play I think. It was in between season 3 and 4.

Anyway, he's on the elevator, and it stops, and a bunch of "young hooligans" got on....drunk, talking loud, smelling like weed, cussing, etc....one of them bumps into Giancarlo, and turns around like like :childplease:....then he notices who he's looking at, turns back around like :merchant: and says to his boys in a low voice "cut all that shyt out man, it's Gus!".

Fred.

:russ: giancarlo esposito is awesome. watching do the right thing now is like :wtf: i can't believe this was gus

837A

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
i havent even watched the last season

gotta finish young justice then ill start it

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
Breaking Bad is a truly great show. But there are a number slow eps that I would consider to be boring. Each season is better than the previous season without a doubt. While with the Wire, the quality of the show was elite from the jump. You could argue Season 1 of the Wire is as good as any other season you may consider to be the best. Also, even though the Wire builds a story gradually to a climax, none of the episodes are actually boring(to me at least) because there is always so much going on. In the beginning you may not understand the importance, but they are throwing tons of information, characters, and scenes at you at all times. With BB, you have alot of 1 location scenes where nothing much is happening, so it could easily become boring in that fashion.

But the overall payoff from BB exceeds any complaints one might have about any slow/boring episodes. I wouldn't put it above the Wire because I don't think the overall vast complexity of writing is seeing the Wire, but that's not really a put down either. I also prefer the realism that the Wire provided. On a first watch, there was always a true heart pounding fear that any character could get got at any time.

EQ.

Mansur Brown - "Heiwa"
Daps
Reppin
Sunhymns

Fred.

starts at 3:00

Last edited by a moderator:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Breaking Bad is a truly great show. But there are a number slow eps that I would consider to be boring. Each season is better than the previous season without a doubt. While with the Wire, the quality of the show was elite from the jump. You could argue Season 1 of the Wire is as good as any other season you may consider to be the best. Also, even though the Wire builds a story gradually to a climax, none of the episodes are actually boring(to me at least) because there is always so much going on. In the beginning you may not understand the importance, but they are throwing tons of information, characters, and scenes at you at all times. With BB, you have alot of 1 location scenes where nothing much is happening, so it could easily become boring in that fashion.

But the overall payoff from BB exceeds any complaints one might have about any slow/boring episodes. I wouldn't put it above the Wire because I don't think the overall vast complexity of writing is seeing the Wire, but that's not really a put down either. I also prefer the realism that the Wire provided. On a first watch, there was always a true heart pounding fear that any character could get got at any time.

The only way to compare both shows, is to ask "do they both succeed at what they attempt?". And the answer is yes, they both nail what they're going for, IMO equally well. So at the very least I consider them equal. I kinda hated season 5 of "The Wire", so if "BB" nails this season, I'd have to give the edge to it.

I found a few eps of "The Wire" boring. Hell, I thought most of season 3 was boring. The politician story line was :ld:

Lastly, I can't really give a point either way to "The Wire" for killing off characters. It's not as if they killed off McNulty, or Bunk, or Lester, or Daniels, or Avon, or Marlo.

I mean....I could name more people that didn't die from "The Wire" than did, and the people that didn't die would be more than the entire cast of "BB". "BB" would've had to kill 90% of the cast to compete at that rate.

Fred.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
The only way to compare both shows, is to ask "do they both succeed at what they attempt?". And the answer is yes, they both nail what they're going for, IMO equally well. So at the very least I consider them equal. I kinda hated season 5 of "The Wire", so if "BB" nails this season, I'd have to give the edge to it.

I found a few eps of "The Wire" boring. Hell, I thought most of season 3 was boring. The politician story line was :ld:

Lastly, I can't really give a point either way to "The Wire" for killing off characters. It's not as if they killed off McNulty, or Bunk, or Lester, or Daniels, or Avon, or Marlo.

I mean....I could name more people that didn't die from "The Wire" than did, and the people that didn't die would be more than the entire cast of "BB". "BB" would've had to kill 90% of the cast to compete at that rate.

Fred.

Season 5 was the worst season, with a few negative aspects, but it didn't suck at all, like I might say the last season of the Sopranos sucked.

I'm not talking about writers just killing off characters, but I'm talking the real feeling that a nikka could get popped or taken out if put in the right situation. Whether it happens or not, the viewer experiences that heart pounding fear that the shyt might happen. Now of course this will be limited to the characters that are actually in the line of fire within the confines of the show. Nobody is expecting the detectives to get killed off or even Avon, because these character are actually never in much real danger throughout the course of the show.

On BB Walt gonna escape an impossible life or death scenario 5 teams each season. Now it's entertaining without a doubt to see how the shyt will unfold, but I also don't get the same feeling of fear that my nikka Walt about to die either. It's like watching Schwarzenegger & Stalone face life or death situations. You know they gonna make it out, it's all about how entertaining & creative the writers make it happen.

They are different shows like Suge Night Jr. mentioned though, so I'm not hating on BB for that limitation, it's the nature of the type of show it is. It's goal isn't to be as documentary styled as the Wire. That's just a preference thing though. I love BB though breh, and I'm excited about this Season.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Season 5 was the worst season, with a few negative aspects, but it didn't suck at all, like I might say the last season of the Sopranos sucked.

I'm not talking about writers just killing off characters, but I'm talking the real feeling that a nikka could get popped or taken out if put in the right situation. Whether it happens or not, the viewer experiences that heart pounding fear that the shyt might happen. Now of course this will be limited to the characters that are actually in the line of fire within the confines of the show. Nobody is expecting the detectives to get killed off or even Avon, because these character are actually never in much real danger throughout the course of the show.

On BB Walt gonna escape an impossible life or death scenario 5 teams each season. Now it's entertaining without a doubt to see how the shyt will unfold, but I also don't get the same feeling of fear that my nikka Walt about to die either. It's like watching Schwarzenegger & Stalone face life or death situations. You know they gonna make it out, it's all about how entertaining & creative the writers make it happen.

They are different shows like Suge Night Jr. mentioned though, so I'm not hating on BB for that limitation, it's the nature of the type of show it is. It's goal isn't to be as documentary styled as the Wire. That's just a preference thing though. I love BB though breh, and I'm excited about this Season.

I would seriously be surprised if "main" characters don't start dying this season. Aaron Paul said this season is a "bloodbath".

https://twitter.com/aaronpaul_8/status/213029868231868416

And I don't expect Walt to live in the end, he's done too much.

The thing about this show is, if you kill Walt, you got no show. You could kill any of the people I named from "The Wire" and you'd still have a show. It has a ton of expendable characters. Like, if you kill Wallace, Bodie, Stringer, or Prop Joe it's :wow:....I can never take anything from "The Wire"....but the core of the show remains the same. If you kill Walt, Jesse, Hank, Marie, or Skylar it would seriously impact the show.

Fred.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
I would seriously be surprised if "main" characters don't start dying this season. Aaron Paul said this season is a "bloodbath".

https://twitter.com/aaronpaul_8/status/213029868231868416

And I don't expect Walt to live in the end, he's done too much.

The thing about this show is, if you kill Walt, you got no show. You could kill any of the people I named from "The Wire" and you'd still have a show. It has a ton of expendable characters. Like, if you kill Wallace, Bodie, Stringer, or Prop Joe it's :wow:....I can never take anything from "The Wire"....but the core of the show remains the same. If you kill Walt, Jesse, Hank, Marie, or Skylar it would seriously impact the show.

Fred.

That's easy to say after the fact, but mad peeps swear the show was over after that. Many said it was dumb and they'd never watch the show again. I do agree the show was similar to the real world in that we are all expendable and the world will go on.

But again my point isn't about killing off characters, it's about a character being put in harms way having a real chance to die. Walt can't die until the 2nd to last episode at the earliest. So no reason to fret if the cartel goons put a gun to Walt's head in episode 4:yeshrug:

\\//JohnnyCA$H\\//

Pillmatic
Daps
Reppin
in the murder capital where we murda for capital
ive been a fan since the night it aired, when the first season was done and there was a writers strike it was a dark period ahead, from character development to great writing this show is top 3, if you ever watch the behind the scenes interviews, there was one with the creator vince gilligan where he admits that he picked brian cranston because he didnt think that the show would make it past the pilot, now this malcom in the middle dad takes home 2 emmys for best actor. the scene that gave me the most chills is his conversation with skyler

cant wait for season 5 gonna be eatin good

Last edited by a moderator: