Breaking Bad Season 5 Official Thread

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
The actor that plays Mike said that neither him or the character would ever leave his grand daughter on that playground in a million years...Seems like the writers are starting to get sh!tted on this year...

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The actor that plays Mike said that neither him or the character would ever leave his grand daughter on that playground in a million years...Seems like the writers are starting to get sh!tted on this year...

I dunno if you're :troll: or what but the actors always give their feedback on what they think their character would do vs what the writers wrote. This has been going on since season 1.

Fred.

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
I dunno if you're :troll: or what but the actors always give their feedback on what they think their character would do vs what the writers wrote. This has been going on since season 1.

Fred.

Naw it's not just that I have been reading a lot of criticism about the introduction of characters just to serve the purpose of the plot (Mike's lawyer for example)..And the scene in episode 6 with Mike cuffing Walt to the pipe has been universally panned by even the shows biggest fans..

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Random theory I thought of walt jr will die doing donuts in his challenger all the foreshadowing is there

it's been stated for the majority of the season already

(and I personally don't think that there's really that much foreshadowing to it)

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Walt not being afraid to die =/= Walt is gonna actively put himself in harm's way.

If you assume Walt went there with the intention of killing Mike, then yes the scene is written sloppy and Walt's remorse in the end seems forced and tacked-on.

But this is "Breaking Bad", and the writers aren't sloppy.

So, no offense, but which is more likely....that they dropped the ball this late in the game, or that you misinterpreted the scene? Because if you read the scene as, Walt wanted praise or recognition from Mike, which they telegraphed from the opening scene, and the scene after that when he asked for a "thank you", and then again when he finally told Mike "you're welcome!"....then everything makes perfect sense. The ep is "Say My Name", the whole premise is, Walt wants props. He wants people on his dikk.

Lastly, you keep mentioning Mike has threatened Walt before, and Walt didn't seem worried last ep with a gun to his head....of course not, he had $300 mill worth of methylamine as leverage. Or he had Gale as a chess piece, or he had the security footage to distract Mike. Walt went into this final meeting with zero cards to play....it's far more likely he took the gun as "Mike might try to kill me, I better be prepared" instead of "I got a gun, I'm gonna kill Mike". Especially considering he could've shot Mike in the back....but he didn't, he said "you're welcome". Why? Because he wanted his props, not Mike dead.

Fred.
As far as the argument that it's more likely I interpreted the scene wrong as opposed to the writers of the show dropping the ball: a sloppily written scene isn't dropping the ball when your writing has been as top notch as BB. All of the greatest shows have a sloppily written scene here or there. And it's disingenuous for you of all people to claim a show's writers are infallible, and I say that with respect. I've seen you point out negatives in shows that you've readily admitted were better than BB.

This has nothing to do with me assuming Walt went there to kill Mike. That would infer I had that opinion before the scene took place and merely saw what I wanted to see in the scene. I thought Mike was gonna get offed, but never pretended to know how it would happen. I'm deducing that Walt had a full understanding that killing Mike would be an option by the evidence of him taking the gun in the first place. You guys are deducing he took the gun for protection. I see more evidence to support my deduction considering the points I've made. It seems a bigger stretch to go against everything we've seen as far as Mike's cautiousness and Walt's reaction's to Mike threatening him, then to go with all of that.

I asked before, when has Walt armed himself for protection as opposed to being the aggressor? Pretty much anytime Walt has a weapon in this show, hes the one either going to hurt someone or intimidate someone. He's gone into plenty of situations he was aware were life threatening without a gun or anything. The meeting at the beginning of the episode being one of them. What leverage does Walt have in this situation? Mike's desperation. You guys think Mikes more desperate to kill Walt then to escape the heat he has on his ass? You keep bringing up that it's Walt's ego that caused him to kill Mike as if I haven't already said many times that I'm aware of that. I just don't buy that he didn't understand killing Mike would be a possibility depending on how things went at this meetup. Things went wrong; Mike refusing to give the names and Walt's ego being bruised, and that was the end of Mike's chapter.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
ALRIGHT -- case closed...

The creators themselves said they'd like to leave it up to the viewers imagination but they pretty much confirmed that Walt took the gun to PREVENT Mike from possibly killing HIM and did NOT get there with ANY intentions on killing Mike.

They talk about it about an hour and 15 minutes into the latest podcast

edit:
Mattafack, they pretty much summed it up very much like Fred did
Props, but my original point was that the scene was just sloppily written to even leave that ambiguity about that scene as a possibility. And I've seen them use the "it's up to the viewer's imagination" card more times than I can count to cover up said ambiguity. I think I've made a more than compelling argument as to why it makes sense to think Walt was aware that killing Mike was an option and thus took the gun, but that his ego was the catalyst to actually using it. Me being able to make that strong a case speaks to the ambiguity of a scene that they're saying has one correct interpretation.

I'm not trying to shyt on the show, I love the show. Just pointing out something I noticed.

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Props, but my original point was that the scene was just sloppily written to even leave that ambiguity about that scene as a possibility. And I've seen them use the "it's up to the viewer's imagination" card more times than I can count to cover up said ambiguity. I think I've made a more than compelling argument as to why it makes sense to think Walt was aware that killing Mike was an option and thus took the gun, but that his ego was the catalyst to actually using it. Me being able to make that strong a case speaks to the ambiguity of a scene that they're saying has one correct interpretation.

I'm not trying to shyt on the show, I love the show. Just pointing out something I noticed.

Your case is strong to who? Not everyone

the scene wasn't sloppily written. Walt saw the gun, and immediately zipped the bag up. If he planned to murk out Mike...he would've immediately grabbed it. That scene was put in there to show that it wasn't premeditated. He had to fight with himself about what to do about the gun, which led to him deciding to pick it up. What was sloppily written about that?

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons

the scene wasn't sloppily written. Walt saw the gun, and immediately zipped the bag up. If he planned to murk out Mike...he would've immediately grabbed it. That scene was put in there to show that it wasn't premeditated. He had to fight with himself about what to do about the gun, which led to him deciding to pick it up. What was sloppily written about that?

Considering I asked plenty of logical questions that have gone ignored and unanswered my case is pretty strong. Of course it's not an opinion shared by everyone, hence the, you know, arguing going on about the point.:comeon: And you're reaching like a mug now. Walt would have grabbed it immediately if he planned to murk Mike? And how do you know this exactly? Can't I turn around and say he would have grabbed it immediately if he was afraid Mike was going to kill him? You really think you can make an argument based on him zipping the bag up?

And a simple question I would like for someone to try and answer. What good is bringing the gun for protection yet leaving it in the car if you're worried a damn professional assassin is going to kill you? You think Mike needs a gun to kill Walt? What good is your gun for protection when you leave it in the car and end up getting strangled to death or stabbed?

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu

I mean they write themselves into corners, and sometimes it isn't cleanly solved. I like that the show has balls. They needed Mike and Walt to meet in a secluded location, and in order to get there, they needed Mike to have to leave his GD. :manny:

In a show that is more realistic than anything else right now, I'll take it.

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Considering I asked plenty of logical questions that have gone ignored and unanswered my case is pretty strong.

:dwillhuh: you have?
Of course it's not an opinion shared by everyone, hence the, you know, arguing going on about the point.:comeon: And you're reaching like a mug now. Walt would have grabbed it immediately if he planned to murk Mike? And how do you know this exactly? Can't I turn around and say he would have grabbed it immediately if he was afraid Mike was going to kill him? You really think you can make an argument based on him zipping the bag up?
No because he wasn't "afraid Mike was going to kill him" at that point in time. The fact that he immediately zipped up the bag showed that while he was apprehensive about meeting up with Mike, he didn't feel he had to fear for his life.

Don't put to much stock in the "afraid of Mike..." because he really wasn't. He picked up the gun as "protection." Either way, the main argument here is whether the murder was premeditated. There was enough shown to clearly state that it wasn't. If you wanted it to be clearer by hearing an inner monologue of what Walt is thinking, or a long boring scene of Walt seeming indecisive right before meeting with Mike then idk what to tell you. You're asking for too much. It was a good scene, well written, and it's no shocker that the writer's have backed up what me and hex have been saying since Sunday.
And a simple question I would like for someone to try and answer. What good is bringing the gun for protection yet leaving it in the car if you're worried a damn professional assassin is going to kill you? You think Mike needs a gun to kill Walt? What good is your gun for protection when you leave it in the car and end up getting strangled to death or stabbed?
read above...we can read into that as Walt saying to himself "we're just gonna talk it out, Mike is gonna thank me for helping out, and everything is gonna be fine. I'll just leave the gun here just in case...he's not gonna miss it."

And idk why, but I'm not entirely sure Walt left the gun in the car. I'll have to watch the scene again

Edit: All you're doing right now is pointing out the indecisiveness of Walt leading up to him finally pulling the trigger. There's no "good writing" that can explain indecisiveness. Either you peep it which some of us did, or you don't. But you can't use indecisiveness to determine premeditation....it doesn't make sense. The writer's showed multiple signs of Walt's indecisiveness (the uncertainty about the gun in the bag before zipping it up, the uncertainty to walk away from Mike when the discussion ended, the apologies at the end) and you're arguing bad writing because you could theoretically dream up a scenario where Walt planned to shoot Mike in spite of those scenes. Sorry breh, I can't cosign that

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Francis White

i been away to long, my feeling died.
Daps
Reppin
New York, New York

You are correct here 100% and i don't always agree with your Sky stanning but there was nothing wrong with the scene at all.

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
You are correct here 100% and i don't always agree with your Sky stanning but there was nothing wrong with the scene at all.

I don't stan Sky, I stan her position (and decisions) which is gonna end up getting her killed
:whew:

The character could've been written in a more sympathetic tone although I personally don't think anything could've been done to make ppl choose her over Walt.

Idk :yeshrug: