Breaking Bad Season 5 Official Thread

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Matter of fact, if Walt wanted Mike dead he could've told the goons out in the desert "keep your $5 mill and kill Mike now". Not only did he not do that, he asked them to give Mike the money.

Fred.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What are people seeing in this scene? I honestly don't get it.

Fred.

To be fair, none of us know whats actually going on in his head. Walt is clearly ego-tripping, and the fact that he showed such remorse after killing him is indicative of an internal conflict he seems to be having.

The murder was not premeditated in the sense that he went there to kill him and would do so regardless, but the fact that he was so quick to throw his rationale in the bushes and just murder dude off the fact that he didnt get a "thank you" is testament to his mental illness.

Walt is now the guy thatll kill a complete stranger for stepping on his sneaker. Hes acting on impulse

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
The fact he killed Mike over disrespect and bruised ego lends more proof to the fact that all this that Walt is doing was only about money to support his family in the first few episodes of the entire series. Everything for the most part that Walt has done is about power, respect, and ego. His entire life no one has respected him and people have stepped over and emasculated him. All Walt wants is get respect, to be the man for the first time in his life.

Ku$h Parker

I'm Nothin Correctable
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Prime Minister of S.B. Westside
If anything Im more :facepalm: at Walt not Killing Mike on the First Shot,I was all for him doing the damn thing since Mike wasnt Respecting his Mind but when he was all :sadcam: behind it I was :damn::

"A Nikka aint supposed to smoke a Trick and Feel Sad/and thats the first Example of a Killer goin bad"---MJG

Ritzy Sharon

Don't Make Me Pull The Oud Out
Daps
I think it cut a little deeper than a "bruised ego". Mike made it abundantly clear in their last conversation that he can't be relied on or trusted, especially once he leaves Walt's sphere of influence.

Walt knows Hank is focused on Mike and once he gets real evidence on him, he'll flip and serve Walt to the DEA on a silver platter. Ehrmantraut had to go, yo. :omar:

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
:smugfavre:

He just strongarmed his only FRIEND out of 5 million dollars. He told a drug lord to "say my name". He killed a respected man because he didnt "thank him". He scoffed at the death of a child

:whew:
Walt is kind of a goon breh

Walt is despicable, fans of the show don't want to hear that though.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
The last scene makes perfect sense, people's misinterpretation of the scene is what doesn't make sense.

We can sit here as viewers and rationalize why Mike wouldn't kill Walt, but as a character, why would Walt gamble with his life like that?

There is no Gale to kill....there is no security camera footage to distract Mike....there is no $300 mill worth of methylamine at risk....there is no Jesse to intercede on Walt's behalf.

Walt's obviously scared and nervous in that final scene. Look at the way he steps back when Mike approaches him....he's clearly expecting Mike to do something.

But Mike doesn't. He takes the bag and walks away. In addition to not helping Walt with the list, he won't even acknowledge that Walt just helped him out.

That's why Mike died. He bruised Walt's ego. I don't understand how the scene can be read any other way. If Walt wanted to kill Mike he could've shot him in the back as he walked away....he didn't, he yelled "you're welcome!", because that's why he went there. The name of the ep is "Say My Name", Walt expected Mike to be all on his dikk, and he wasn't.

Fred.
:what:
Why would Walt gamble his life? This thread is full of cats saying Walt gives zero fukks because his cancer came back and he's not scared to die. Walt has been gambling his life for seasons now. C'mon, Fred. The scene was written sloppily. How does the whole audience know Mike is about to be killed once the lawyer gets caught, but we're supposed to believe Walt didn't have an inkling that he might have to kill Mike? Not telling Walt the names was the breaking point combined with Walt's ego. If he tells Walt the names, Walt will most likely realize a guy like Mike is more than capable of eluding the cops and keeping his mouth shut if he gets caught. Not telling Walt the names leaves 9 variables out there that could sink his empire before it even gets off the ground. Bruising Walt's ego just cements the outcome.

Mike blamed all of the fukkery on Walt and people don't see why he "could" want to kill him in that last scene? Or why Walt might have had that thought in the back of his head when he met him and saw the gun in his bag?

Look at what was going on with Mike at the time.

He just had to abandon his granddaughter
He realized all the cash he was putting away for her was gone
He never just shook off Walt killing Gus
He never liked Walt and never respected him

Mike had plenty of reasons why he could have wanted to kill Walt IMO.
And does any of that speak to the calculated, precise, meticulous character Mike has exhibited thus far? Does the Mike we know, seem like the dude who would kill for the reasons you just named, with him about to go on the run for the rest of his life? I'm supposed to believe Mike was smart enough to sense he was walking into an ambush earlier this season, bring a child's toy to cover the eye hole and get the drop on a would be assassin, but he's reckless enough to catch a body right before he goes on the run? That makes absolutely no sense.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Why would Walt gamble his life? This thread is full of cats saying Walt gives zero fukks because his cancer came back and he's not scared to die. Walt has been gambling his life for seasons now. C'mon, Fred. The scene was written sloppily. How does the whole audience know Mike is about to be killed once the lawyer gets caught, but we're supposed to believe Walt didn't have an inkling that he might have to kill Mike? Not telling Walt the names was the breaking point combined with Walt's ego. If he tells Walt the names, Walt will most likely realize a guy like Mike is more than capable of eluding the cops and keeping his mouth shut if he gets caught. Not telling Walt the names leaves 9 variables out there that could sink his empire before it even gets off the ground. Bruising Walt's ego just cements the outcome.

And does any of that speak to the calculated, precise, meticulous character Mike has exhibited thus far? Does the Mike we know, seem like the dude who would kill for the reasons you just named, with him about to go on the run for the rest of his life? I'm supposed to believe Mike was smart enough to sense he was walking into an ambush earlier this season, bring a child's toy to cover the eye hole and get the drop on a would be assassin, but he's reckless enough to catch a body right before he goes on the run? That makes absolutely no sense.

This is the same Mike that put a gun to Walt's head the episode prior to him getting killed right?

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
To be honest, I knew Mike was dead as soon as Walt saw the gun in the bag. I think thats more because we know Walt is on a slippery slope

I honestly thought Mike was gonna get busted by the cops right there in the park but he didnt. I was expecting him to react quicker to the lawyers phonecall, instead of Walt warning him, but who knows, the span of the two calls was like 5 seconds.

Obarth I get what youre saying but given how awesome the writing has been, Im onboard with the show even when it gets farfetched. I always found Saul to be a bit of a "deus ex machina" but I like that. A lot of the characters and events in this show are more of "symbolism" than "realism" in my opinion

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
This is the same Mike that put a gun to Walt's head the episode prior to him getting killed right?

tumblr_m942z9Fbtk1qg4o05o1_400.gif

tumblr_m92l9leoLG1rogeulo1_500.gif

tysonreaction.gif

My bad breh, how could I miss the complete abject terror in Walt's face in that interaction? I should have known Walt was terrified of Mike after this scene. :youngsabo:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Obarth I get what youre saying but given how awesome the writing has been, Im onboard with the show even when it gets farfetched. I always found Saul to be a bit of a "deus ex machina" but I like that. A lot of the characters and events in this show are more of "symbolism" than "realism" in my opinion

Breh, firstly, thank you for getting where I'm coming from. I'm not putting the show down in the slightest. BB will go in my top 5 shows at the very least when it's over. It's required viewing for me every Sunday. The thing with the gun just happens to be something I caught as I was watching and wanted to see cat's opinions on it. Look at my avi and repping. I love this show.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Walt not being afraid to die =/= Walt is gonna actively put himself in harm's way.

If you assume Walt went there with the intention of killing Mike, then yes the scene is written sloppy and Walt's remorse in the end seems forced and tacked-on.

But this is "Breaking Bad", and the writers aren't sloppy.

So, no offense, but which is more likely....that they dropped the ball this late in the game, or that you misinterpreted the scene? Because if you read the scene as, Walt wanted praise or recognition from Mike, which they telegraphed from the opening scene, and the scene after that when he asked for a "thank you", and then again when he finally told Mike "you're welcome!"....then everything makes perfect sense. The ep is "Say My Name", the whole premise is, Walt wants props. He wants people on his dikk.

Lastly, you keep mentioning Mike has threatened Walt before, and Walt didn't seem worried last ep with a gun to his head....of course not, he had $300 mill worth of methylamine as leverage. Or he had Gale as a chess piece, or he had the security footage to distract Mike. Walt went into this final meeting with zero cards to play....it's far more likely he took the gun as "Mike might try to kill me, I better be prepared" instead of "I got a gun, I'm gonna kill Mike". Especially considering he could've shot Mike in the back....but he didn't, he said "you're welcome". Why? Because he wanted his props, not Mike dead.

Fred.