Boyhood - Official Trailer (movie filmed over 12 years with same actors)

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
my friend saw a screening here yesterday night and said it was one of the best movies ever made. its 2hrs and 45 mins long :scusthov:

i'll go see this friday and walk out an hour and a half into it. watch the second part another day :salute:
typical track 1 shyt :laff:

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
like most said the first hour is great until he puts on skinny jeans in high school

shyt pretty crazy we watch him grow up as a kid

the older the sister got worse and worse as an actor as she grew older. bytch looked uncomforatble on screen. she killed it when she was young though

ethan hawke killed it imo

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Artistically, I think it's a pretty staggering achievement. The concept, execution, editing.....pretty god damn brilliant.

It's not quite as successful on an entertainment level though, imo. The performances are hit and miss, and some of the tangents felt like kids doing there version of the "Before" movies.....which is the point, and why I appreciated it more than I enjoyed it.

There were also a handful of narrative beats that left me with the :beli: face

7/10

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
From the trailer I kept getting the vibe that the big titty MILF was gonna smash one of her son's friends:patrice:

patricia_arquette_1_382921.jpg
:shaq:

Her best friend was giving the :takedat: to the son when he grew up. She was wanting to drive him off to college after hearing he was no longer with his girl :shaq:. Black chick too
MV5BMTk4Mjk0ODQwMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTk3MDIzMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Angela-Rawna1.jpg
:ohlawd:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
The first 80 mins or so were great.

The main character just isnt interesting enough once it got focused on him as a teenager.

I'm wondering if the director always intended for him to act that way or did he alter it to fit more of how the actor grew up. I give him credit for that risk and even to the actor for pulling it off. But it just didnt turn out as great as I'd hoped. Another film where the trailer was better. Still a very good movie. The randomness of life, how people come and go, and how time slips away was felt in this film.

Jilly Mayr

Rookie
Daps
Boyhood. Simply the best movie I've seen in several years.
It felt like reading a good book, which is the highest compliment I can give to a film. My rating 8/10

andre patton

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SoCal
Boyhood. Simply the best movie I've seen in several years.
It felt like reading a good book, which is the highest compliment I can give to a film. My rating 8/10

Its strange how "the best movie you've seen in years" is still an 8 outta 10.

I just watched it. Its long. Its kinda boring. The novelty of the actors being the same for such a long time wears off. He's pretty much about 16 years of age almost 2 hours into the movie...then you realize you have another hour left :snoop: so in that sense i wish it were paced better. like an hour of him in elementary school, an hour in middle school, and an hour in high school or some shyt.

i get it, tho. life is long, boring, and drawn out. so this movie is pretty accurate.

I guess I have to ask myself, if this movie wasnt some 12 year odyssey, if it were just different actors n shyt like a normal movie, would it still be regarded as some great movie? I doubt it.

The movie is definitely worth seeing. But its not something I'll watch again. I predict it wins best original screenplay at the oscars.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Its strange how "the best movie you've seen in years" is still an 8 outta 10.

I just watched it. Its long. Its kinda boring. The novelty of the actors being the same for such a long time wears off. He's pretty much about 16 years of age almost 2 hours into the movie...then you realize you have another hour left :snoop: so in that sense i wish it were paced better. like an hour of him in elementary school, an hour in middle school, and an hour in high school or some shyt.

i get it, tho. life is long, boring, and drawn out. so this movie is pretty accurate.

I guess I have to ask myself, if this movie wasnt some 12 year odyssey, if it were just different actors n shyt like a normal movie, would it still be regarded as some great movie? I doubt it.

The movie is definitely worth seeing. But its not something I'll watch again.
I predict it wins best original screenplay at the oscars.

Agreed! And I hope it doesn't win anything. :lolbron:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
:patrice:

Boyhood
is a movie directed by the beloved Richard Linklater and its about a boy named Mason (played by Ellar Coltrane) who grows up with his sister, Samantha (played by Lorelei Linklater- the director's daughter) and mother (played by Patricia Arquette). Mason's mom has an estranged relationship with their father (played by Ethan Hawke), so the kids don't really see much of him for the first part of their lives. The mother marries again, and the birth father shows up to try and start a new relationship with his kids. Things seem to be going well until their stepfather's dark side emerges, forcing them to leave.

Without giving the entire plot away, this movie is really about Mason's childhood journey to adulthood. How his mother's choices, his father's attempts at parenting, and his own actions shape his development. I had no idea what this movie was about or the history behind it going in. I was shocked to find that they used the same actors to show a boy's coming of age over 12 years. They filmed this movie over 12 freakin' years. Pretty amazing. After that gimmick wears off though, you have an uneven, sometimes drab and aimless, sometimes compelling and funny slice-of-life flick. I think that was the point though. Its a film that's supposed to mirror life, the good, bad, and mundane. I'm just not sure I'd recommend it to anyone. It wasn't bad really, but it wasn't particularly good either. Just unique in the way it was shot. And for a film that's 2 hours and 45 minutes, that's not enough.

3 out of 5 stars.

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
Artistically, I think it's a pretty staggering achievement. The concept, execution, editing.....pretty god damn brilliant.

It's not quite as successful on an entertainment level though, imo. The performances are hit and miss, and some of the tangents felt like kids doing there version of the "Before" movies.....which is the point, and why I appreciated it more than I enjoyed it.

7/10
Agreed.
the bolded is what makes the movie exceptional.

After I got past that I realize he could have made the movie a little shorter.

I wish directors helped themselves by cutting movies down more...theres rarely ever a need for a three hour movie IMO,

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
just got back from seein this one... i thought the first half was great, had a lot of promise, but it sorta fell apart near the end. a bunch of corny useless scenes when mason gets to high school bogged it down, and all of those pseudo-philosophical convos had me like :usure: i understand that he was in high school so we can't really expect anything insightful, but at that point the movie was some 2 hours in and losing me fast. the last third of the movie was full of dialogue that felt like it was cut out of waking life for being too bland and then just reused here.

maybe a 6 or 7/10, not worthy of the hype for me.
are you kidding? 2nd half of the movie was the best part. it's where everything comes together

you just get a kid's life happening, and it takes the end for people to really think about why anyone would be interested in something like this

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
are you kidding? 2nd half of the movie was the best part. it's where everything comes together

you just get a kid's life happening, and it takes the end for people to really think about why anyone would be interested in something like this
:camby:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps

7/10

this.. especially when the kid hit HS he turned into an whiny emo version of hawke's before sunrise character :scust:

I enjoyed the movie though.. even if it was too long

Not somethng i'd probably ever care to re-visit but I appreciate what linklater did

I give it a 7 as well.. Linklater stans have it at an 8.5 and #88 on IMDB though :mjpls:

Inarritu still better get that best director though :birdman: