Box Office Bombs Have Paramount Losing Over $500M in Next 2 Years

CSquare43

Superstar
Daps
Good thread.

I'm not sure how anyone could be surprised that movies are having a tough time right now. Theater prices have gone up and remakes/sequels seem to dominate what's being produced. And remakes/sequels are widely recognized as being inferior to the originals (with some exceptions of course). Outside of that, if you're not a comic book movie fan, there's not a lot of (good) options.

Speaking of comic book movies, is anyone else completely tired of these or is it just me?? I was never an avid comic reader and so while I appreciated some of the movies, it seems like any comic character regardless of how good/bad/silly/etc is getting a movie made. I am completely over them...am I the only one?

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Good thread.

I'm not sure how anyone could be surprised that movies are having a tough time right now. Theater prices have gone up and remakes/sequels seem to dominate what's being produced. And remakes/sequels are widely recognized as being inferior to the originals (with some exceptions of course). Outside of that, if you're not a comic book movie fan, there's not a lot of (good) options.

Speaking of comic book movies, is anyone else completely tired of these or is it just me?? I was never an avid comic reader and so while I appreciated some of the movies, it seems like any comic character regardless of how good/bad/silly/etc is getting a movie made. I am completely over them...am I the only one?

It's just you. Im just waiting for that infinity war 2 partner and I can be happy :mjcry:

spencerforhire

All Star
Daps
Good thread.

That and all these CGI Disney movies. But yeah we on the same damn boat.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Good thread.

I'm getting to a point where I wouldn't mind seeing them go away for a while.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Also, with that math it seems like it would make more sense to produce a bunch of small or mid budget movies with higher profit margins rather than these expensive joints. Do they really expect every movie they put out to gross over 500 million? Sounds like they want to flop. But I'm sure they have a reason for it...
That's why Blumhouse are probably loved by studios. They have a micro budget of like 5-10M (even less in some cases) and usually make that back and a shytload more in the first weekend.
I mean, look at this shyt man
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Budget---------Gross
cbbaef78a20eb30b0b12e7cb630b8316.png

With the Paranormal Activity movies, they barely totaled 30M to make and have grossed close to a billion dollars. Insidious franchise got a budget of like 20M and has grossed over 300M.

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
That's why Blumhouse are probably loved by studios. They have a micro budget of like 5-10M (even less in some cases) and usually make that back and a shytload more in the first weekend.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Budget---------Gross

With the Paranormal Activity movies, they barely totaled 30M to make and have grossed close to a billion dollars. Insidious franchise got a budget of like 20M and has grossed over 300M.
Word. Not sure why this isn't the norm. Seems easier to find success doing this than these "tentpoles" that you have to spend 200 million to market effectively...

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
I think a lot of these studios are burning money.

You see some films with a 200 million plus budget and you see one with a 100 million budget and the difference in cgi quality and number of action sequences is neglible.

Even batman v superman. I swear they could have made the same film for 150 million that they made for 250 million.

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
Here are the remaining movies Paramount will release in 2016. Wonder how many will flop?

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
aAmU7IX.jpg

Directed By: Edward Zwick
Starring: Tom Cruise
Budget: $96 million
(10/21/2016)

Rings
NJ8XSn1.jpg

Directed By: F. Javier Gutiérrez
Starring: Aimee Teegarden, Johnny Galecki and Bonnie Morgan
Budget: $33 million
(10/28/2016)

Arrival
HrHd3Ds.jpg

Directed By: Denis Villeneuve
Starring: Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker
Budget: $50 million
(11/11/2016)

Allied
hJPRCRn.jpg

Directed By: Robert Zemeckis
Starring: Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard
Budget: Unknown
(11/23/2016)

Office Christmas Party
KpGu9oG.jpg

Directed By: Josh Gordon & Will Speck
Starring: T.J. Miller, Kate McKinnon, Jennifer Aniston, Olivia Munn and Jason Bateman
(12/9/2016)

Fences
IM69BBR.jpg

Directed By: Denzel Washington
Starring: Denzel Washington and Viola Davis
(12/16/2016)

Silence
qVvKexG.jpg

Directed By: Martin Scorsese
Starring: Liam Neeson, Andrew Garfield and Adam Driver
Budget: $51 million
(12/22/2016)
No even being funny, I think they will all flop based on their premises. They all seem boring. I guess I'll have to wait and see how they're advertised.

Daps
Good thread.

Just you Breh and the market is telling you that. Most of the highest grossing films this year are comic book related. 3 years down the line may be a different story but right they are near their apex in popularity, writing and creativity

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
this is also why Studios like signing new talent to those studio exclusive deals...
RDJ made more on Civil War than the effen main guy CHris Evans.. Hell .. RDJ made more in Avengers than the entire cast put together..

its like signing your rookies in baseball and then to extensions .. its cheaper before they become a household name.

Last edited:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps

Is that Area 51 figure right? They made $7,556? How is that even possible? :mjlol:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Here are the remaining movies Paramount will release in 2016. Wonder how many will flop?

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
aAmU7IX.jpg

Directed By: Edward Zwick
Starring: Tom Cruise
Budget: $96 million
(10/21/2016)

Rings
NJ8XSn1.jpg

Directed By: F. Javier Gutiérrez
Starring: Aimee Teegarden, Johnny Galecki and Bonnie Morgan
Budget: $33 million
(10/28/2016)

Arrival
HrHd3Ds.jpg

Directed By: Denis Villeneuve
Starring: Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker
Budget: $50 million
(11/11/2016)

Allied
hJPRCRn.jpg

Directed By: Robert Zemeckis
Starring: Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard
(11/23/2016)

Office Christmas Party
KpGu9oG.jpg

Directed By: Josh Gordon & Will Speck
Starring: T.J. Miller, Kate McKinnon, Jennifer Aniston, Olivia Munn and Jason Bateman
(12/9/2016)

Fences
IM69BBR.jpg

Directed By: Denzel Washington
Starring: Denzel Washington and Viola Davis
(12/16/2016)

Silence
qVvKexG.jpg

Directed By: Martin Scorsese
Starring: Liam Neeson, Andrew Garfield and Adam Driver
Budget: $51 million
(12/22/2016)

God damn I had to rewrite this 2 times after giving it some thought..

I think only Office Christmas Party won't bomb. Rogue One will probably drop it to 2nd place, and the only other holiday comedy that month is Why Him. Jack Reacher and Rings might not, but I'm very iffy about.

Jack is releasing in Oct, so those horror movies are gonna eat into what it makes. Same thing with Rings.. except Rings unless good enough, will probably be murdered by Doc Strange a week later. shyt is gonna be dependent on those two movies having legs.... moreso for Rings. Because I don't remember what was the last Tom Cruise flick that did poorly. :patrice: