Books - what are you reading? (Official Book Thread)

Daps
when you guys go to the library, how many books do you usually check out?

I usually check out at least 4, sometimes as much as 6. I usually read non fiction and I will grab any that interest me and return the one's I am not going to read.
Sometimes I return all 6!
:yeshrug:

Currently reading Raymond Chandler's The High Window

Tell Your Children: The truth about Marijuana, Mental Illness, and Violence - Alex Berenson

Token Economy : How Blockchains and Smart Contracts Revolutionize the Economy - Shermin Voshmgir.

That blockchain one has got me thinking about these "smart contracts" specifically Ethereum. I don't have any plans for speculation in crypto currency, but the technology kind of fascinates me. (well the part I think I understand)
:mjlol:

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
got 3 things im reading

7 1/2 deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle - Stuart Turton
Life on mars - by Tracy K smith
Into the Fire(5th Orphan X book) - Gregg Hurwitz

will prolly get all of them done by late febuary

but i might take my time with Orphan x one tho

Ezra

Daps
I started Into the Fire today. Knocked out about 10 chapters. I'll probably finish this in two days. So hard to put down

sinistersouth

Banned
Daps
Reppin
New York City. I mean Kansas.
Into the Fire(5th Orphan X book) - Gregg Hurwitz
I started Into the Fire today. Knocked out about 10 chapters. I'll probably finish this in two days. So hard to put down

i just downloaded this bullshyt last night. what are your thoughts on Gregg? i dont like how he made the only black character in the entire series a literal fukking monkey. plus some of his tweets are:mjpls:. truthfully the only reason i keep reading the series is for insight on how these crackers think

edit: now that i think about it, wasnt the retarded boy in the last book black too? :stopitslime:

Last edited:

Ezra

Daps
i just downloaded this bullshyt last night. what are your thoughts on Gregg? i dont like how he made the only black character in the entire series a literal fukking monkey. plus some of his tweets are:mjpls:. truthfully the only reason i keep reading the series is for insight on how these crackers think

edit: now that i think about it, wasnt the retarded boy in the last book black too? :stopitslime:
I just found these books last year, and read them all at once. I dont remember the monkey character youre talking about. But I read a lot and forget a lot of shyt from dumb action books like this. Last book the person he helped was a black kid w autism.

For real tho - I like these books, it's like reading a dumb action movie. Fun and quick and entertaining. I forget a lot of what's in them as soon as im done. Put more thoughtful reflection in non fiction books or books that are more social commentary.

Have seen any of Gregg's tweets, but I torrent all these books, so even if he is suspect... it's not like he's getting any paper out of it.

sinistersouth

Banned
Daps
Reppin
New York City. I mean Kansas.
I just found these books last year, and read them all at once. I dont remember the monkey character youre talking about. But I read a lot and forget a lot of shyt from dumb action books like this. Last book the person he helped was a black kid w autism.

For real tho - I like these books, it's like reading a dumb action movie. Fun and quick and entertaining. I forget a lot of what's in them as soon as im done. Put more thoughtful reflection in non fiction books or books that are more social commentary.

Have seen any of Gregg's tweets, but I torrent all these books, so even if he is suspect... it's not like he's getting any paper out of it.

the black orphan from two books ago - i cant remember his designated letter. the only one who was supposedly taught parkour :beli:. they had him swinging from buildings and shyt all throughout the damn book

they also said some other stereotypical shyt about him like how he was muscular but not smart. and was borderline obsequious to the head orphan. a good little negro

so i guess this punk only has the nerve to write about black characters who are either retarded or servile monkeys. insecure cracker :wow:

Last edited:

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps

the black orphan from two books ago - i cant remember his designated letter. the only one who was supposedly taught parkour :beli:. they had him swinging from buildings and shyt all throughout the damn book

they also said some other stereotypical shyt about him like how he was muscular but not smart. and was borderline obsequious to the head orphan. a good little negro

so i guess this punk only has the nerve to write about black characters who are either retarded or servile monkeys. insecure cracker :wow:
I know what you're referring.
your talking about the orphan who died from falling from the construction crane right?

my views on the series is similar to @Ezra . Altho i wiill give the series credit for having a fairly decent story and being able to be entertaining.

the series def has a very Sus feature where notable/rounded characters is reserved for whites. Whereas non-whites are preserved to either being subjects to villians or pathetic looking characters like the guy who lost his family.

so im not gonna defend the shyt, all i will say hes a cac doing cac things:yeshrug: of not knowing how to/or willingly not putting nonwhites/blacks in any good roles.

plus i am to deep in this ride to quit now, so unless he saying some straight up anti-black shyt(or he is in his book). i'll still read.

Last edited:

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Recently read...

43889703._SY475_.jpg
452725.jpg
37506348.jpg
44526017.jpg
251001.jpg

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
thoughts on those books?

which one would you recommend first?

1. Zuckerman:
Interesting book and Zuckerman does a good job of painting a picture of all the strong personalities, but you don't come away understanding "why" Renaissance has been so successful. Thus,if you are looking to gain some general principles on investing or even mental models this books isn't for you.

2. Elster:
Great book on incentives and cultural motivation, the author does a good job of explaining the impact of the role of institutional constraints in decision making and success. A book that I'm probably going to purchase and re-read.

3. Winners take all: The author provides a valid critique of the white collar professional Managerial Class and their ability to have a positive impact on the world. But a part of me came away thinking he was exaggerating how much impact they think they have, having been around these type of folks they usually have a decent understanding of the potential ceiling of their efforts. Thus, his stance that they are delusional about their potential impact vs. The potential impact of govt taking on the same initiatives is way too neat and convenient.

4. Shiller:
Was slightly disappointed with this book because Shiller doesn't really go deep into the research on narratives in other fields. And in his interviews he criticized the econ profession for ignoring narratives but the book would've been stronger if he had dived into how narratives vs. Counterintuitive data impact economics. I recently read scientist and filmaker Randy Olsons series on narratives within the STEM field and he does a much better job of breaking down the cognitive aspects of narrative.

4. Cosmopolitanism:
I read this after reading Richard Sennett's "Corrosion of Character" which is a critique of cosmopolitanism, looking for a decent defense of the cosmopolitan ethos. Appiah doesn't do a great job,as he struggles to forcefully articulate how cosmopolitanism can adequately replace the institutions of family, religion, civic orgs, and unions.