Books - what are you reading? (Official Book Thread)

SheriffOG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
I'll definitely be checking this out. I just read the synopsis on GoodReads. My only hope is that they don't turn it into some whack version of The Hunger Games or something like that. All these movies that come out nowadays seem to want to make any sci-fi movie with young actors in the vein of Hunger Games.

Word, the fact i have read the book so far before the release of the film now i can't help but worry the production is going to let me down. As long as the storyline is kept similar and characters are cast well i think it will hold though.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Skloot

It's an easy read, but disturbing. I have to put it down sometimes because it makes me angry. It's pretty fukked up the way they exploited this woman and how so many white people in the STEM and health field have made millions of dollars off of her cells, and at the time the book was published her descendants couldn't even afford health insurance.

Here's more information:

The Immortal Life « Rebecca Skloot

About The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Her name was Henrietta Lacks, but scientists know her as HeLa. She was a poor black tobacco farmer whose cells—taken without her knowledge in 1951—became one of the most important tools in medicine, vital for developing the polio vaccine, cloning, gene mapping, in vitro fertilization, and more. Henrietta’s cells have been bought and sold by the billions, yet she remains virtually unknown, and her family can’t afford health insurance.

Soon to be made into an HBO movie by Oprah Winfrey and Alan Ball, this New York Times bestseller takes readers on an extraordinary journey, from the “colored” ward of Johns Hopkins Hospital in the 1950s to stark white laboratories with freezers filled with HeLa cells, from Henrietta’s small, dying hometown of Clover, Virginia, to East Baltimore today, where her children and grandchildren live and struggle with the legacy of her cells. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks tells a riveting story of the collision between ethics, race, and medicine; of scientific discovery and faith healing; and of a daughter consumed with questions about the mother she never knew. It’s a story inextricably connected to the dark history of experimentation on African Americans, the birth of bioethics, and the legal battles over whether we control the stuff we’re made of.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
marcus-9780140449334.jpg

PASTPAGE082491I.jpg

414KDX218DL.jpg

51nqRoc550L.jpg

yjmonn

Time
Daps
Oh and I'm reading art of seduction by robert greene right now. When I tell you how much gems this book has....

The best part of the book is reading about the historical figures and their ways of seduction. Dope read so far

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Aurelius was a philosopher right? How's the book so far? I'm interested
an emperor who kept a diary which ended up being a philosophy book

dope so far, just gettin into it but it's dope seeing how a ruler was thinking as he ruled

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finished Suicide Squad novelization a couple of days ago
51gg07CVVcL.jpg

and about to start either Bloodline by Claudia Gray or Shadow of the Empire by Steve Perry
514UjJCYfmL._SY346_.jpg
511t2yWHPDL.jpg

Last edited:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I'm reading Dune, because I've never read and a lady friend bought it for me.

But I just bought this yesterday.
9781101904220_p0_v5_s192x300.jpg
Jason Dessen, a quantum physicist, once had a brilliant research career ahead of him. But after a girlfriend’s unexpected pregnancy and the birth of a son, this future was derailed. Now Jason is a professor at a small Chicago college, content with his warm and loving family life until he’s abducted into a world in which his quantum many-worlds theory has become a fully realized technology for inter-dimensional transfer. In this world, Jason didn’t marry his girlfriend and never had a son. Jason is determined to get back to his family and his own world, but nefarious powers in the alternate reality conspire to stop him from revealing the criminal lengths they have gone to create the world-hopping technology.

I also picked up a favorite, And Then There Were None (Agatha Christie).