Books - what are you reading? (Official Book Thread)

Spaceman Piff

Superstar
Daps
Does anyone use their iPad as an eBook reader? I've been debating on whether or not to cop a Kindle for this type of shyt, but the iPad w/ retina display looks like something I would get more use out of as an all around gadget instead of just an eBook reader.

if you don't mind the size of the ipad, i'd use it over the kindle.

i have a kindle paperwhite but i end up just using my tablet to read.

BonafideDefacto

The Coli's Jetsetter & Globetrotter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
41w0B39aDLL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Lord of the Flies
I never finished this :to:↑↑↑

But, I'm reading this:

url

Dawg, this thing has opened my eyes in the origins of Hip-Hop culture. It got me wanting to listen to disco. I didn't understand how we got from that to Rap.

It's a huge book and I'm only in the beginning.

And I'm almost done with reading this, for a second time:

love-languages2.jpg

This book is great. If men and women could get on this; the marriage rate would be in the 90%.

This sucks the "Get Married, brehs" right out me.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
running through the Malazan series right now, shyt is perfect :wow: just the right amount of clouds in the plot to keep my brain stimulated :ohlawd:

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
Does anyone use their iPad as an eBook reader? I've been debating on whether or not to cop a Kindle for this type of shyt, but the iPad w/ retina display looks like something I would get more use out of as an all around gadget instead of just an eBook reader.

Kindle is the absolute BEST ereader

mattlanta

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Kindle is the absolute BEST ereader
I know the Kindle is the best. I'm asking about the iPad because if I were to get anything right now, I'd rather get something that could do it all (I need something "more convenient" than a laptop since I'm always traveling and shyt. I don't want to always have to open my my laptop to browse the web.) If the iPad w/ retina display could be used adequately as an eBook reader, it would be a definite cop right now.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
any news on when Doors of Stone is coming out?

Currently reading the first Mistborn book. Magic system is a bit confusing but other then that it's a real good book.

@Cheeky

Patrick Rothfuss dropped a novella about Auri :noah::banderas:

91QidfpRuaL.jpg

hopefully he drops one on Bast too :lupe: for some reason i like the lil nikka, top 3 character

Suspicious Dingo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sydney, Austalia

That's the writer of True Detective, right? Any good?

As for me, I just finished:

John Irving’s A Prayer for Owen Meany is the inspiring modern classic that introduced two of the author’s most unforgettable characters, boys bonded forever in childhood: the stunted Owen Meany, whose life is touched by God, and the orphaned Johnny Wheelwright, whose life is touched by Owen. From the accident that links them to the mystery that follows them–and the martyrdom that parts them–the events of their lives form a tapestry of fate and faith in a novel that is Irving at his irresistible best.

What an incredibly well written, thoughtful book. It's about friendship, loss and faith, and it has one of the greatest opening sentences of any book I've read:
"I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice – not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother’s death, but because he is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany."
I highly recommend this novel to anyone who wants to read something that is equal parts uplifting and devastating.

Now I'm about to get stuck into the new Stephen King.

FrostBite

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finished these two within the last few weeks. The story lines were kind of predictable, but entertaining nonetheless. Now I gotta wait for the 3rd book of the saga.

17171909.jpg
20797535.jpg

As with everything else written by David Mitchell, this book is motherfukking fantastic. He manages to blend genres, time periods and different narrators with such seamless ease, as well as writing a terrific, engrossing story. I genuinely consider Mitchell the greatest living novelist.

I'm onto this now. Hope it lives up to your review.