Books - what are you reading? (Official Book Thread)

bigrodthe1

The Kang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
7mile to SE & Uptown!
20980_1_f59af7.jpg

Ain't nobody fukkin with Drizzt and Guenhwyvar
:myman:
I on the last book of the War of the Spider Queen...good read. After that I just downloaded R.A's last book Night of the Hunter which has all of the companions in it...it has great reviews :whew:

TKOK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sactown

Sorta reads like a screenplay a bit, wouldn't be surprised if it ends up on the big screen in the next 5-10 years.
I think it'd be better as a show. I'm halfway through the first book, but there doesn't seem there is a ton of fluff.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I on the last book of the War of the Spider Queen...good read. After that I just downloaded R.A's last book Night of the Hunter which has all of the companions in it...it has great reviews :whew:
I'm at the end of Exile right now. I'm going to explore that world further afterwords but thats all I've been reading for a while now so I think I'll take a short break after Exile, read something else then come back.

Cheesy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Hometown
I'm binge-reading Malazan Books of the Fallen :ohlawd: I'm at the sixth book The Bonecasters, anybody liking fantasy should not sleep on this, there are so many books I might still be working through them when GRRM finally releases the Winds of Winter

• Dap
Reactions: no.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
where's a good place to start with Kurt Vonnegut???

right now i'm reading:

Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis (2nd time reading...just finished Glamorama and had to run back through his works)
Ham on Rye by Bukowski
The Adderall Diaries by Stephan Elliott

will be done with these by next week and i'm gonna start on Game of Thrones (never seen the show)...

adding The Goldfinch to the list since i've seen it recommended a few times...
First thing I ever read of Vonnegut's was Sirens of Titan. Kind of a sci-fi joint with his usual quirkiness and social and religious commentary. I loved the book and before an instant fab after reading it. Probably have read 10 or more of his books since that but it's the one that got me interested. If you want to start with something a little less out there then you can stay with Slaughterhouse 5, which deals with WWII and time travel. No matter what you pick, his shyt is gonna be pretty unconventional and you gotta be willing to be pretty open minded to appreciate him. If you check out either one of those and aren't feeling them then he may not be for you. Let me know what you think either way, cause I don't know anybody that's raff him in my personal circle and would be interested to hear someone else's views of his writing.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
i just started reading the dark towers series. I'm halfway trough the book and it's kind of ...eh.
Everybody who read it says it gets better but idk if im gonna stick with it anymore.
Any of you guys read this?
I know this is an old post, but were you referring to being halfway through the 1st book? If so, definitely hang on as it certainly gets better. As a previous poster said, the next 3 are great books, and by that time you'll be fully immersed in the story. If you finish the first book you can't help but to continue, but the 1st half of the Gunslinger was def a chore to get through.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
First thing I ever read of Vonnegut's was Sirens of Titan. Kind of a sci-fi joint with his usual quirkiness and social and religious commentary. I loved the book and before an instant fab after reading it. Probably have read 10 or more of his books since that but it's the one that got me interested. If you want to start with something a little less out there then you can stay with Slaughterhouse 5, which deals with WWII and time travel. No matter what you pick, his shyt is gonna be pretty unconventional and you gotta be willing to be pretty open minded to appreciate him. If you check out either one of those and aren't feeling them then he may not be for you. Let me know what you think either way, cause I don't know anybody that's raff him in my personal circle and would be interested to hear someone else's views of his writing.

yeah, I tried so hard to like Slaughterhouse 5, but I couldn't. It's just too out there for me. And I hear that's pretty tame to his other stuff. I always feel a little weird about not liking "classics", and I really respect what he was trying to do with his writing, but me and Kurt just don't jive.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I know this is an old post, but were you referring to being halfway through the 1st book? If so, definitely hang on as it certainly gets better. As a previous poster said, the next 3 are great books, and by that time you'll be fully immersed in the story. If you finish the first book you can't help but to continue, but the 1st half of the Gunslinger was def a chore to get through.

I'm so glad you said this because I was baffled about why The Dark Tower series is considered King's greatest. I'm a huge King fan, but I could not get with The Gunslinger. Perhaps I'll give this series another chance.

tehdamajah

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i gave up on it... it was the same with the tallisman, he dosent explain shyt of what happens, thing just happen and he dosent explain how they happen(maybe he explains it in the later volumes) not just what happens but how it happens
like GRRM said you need some "magic" in a fantasy but to much magic is like to much salt in a stew and all you cant taste is the salt and anything can happen

Nature's Fury

addicts of drugs not yet synthesized
Daps
@manyfaces i actually started reading Slaughterhouse 5 shortly afterwards and didn't really get into it like that...i didn't get to finish because i had to return the book to the library, but i'll probably get around to finishing during a slow period...

got about 200pgs into The Goldfinch but had to put it down...the writing was very institutional so i couldn't really get into it like that...

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
yeah, I tried so hard to like Slaughterhouse 5, but I couldn't. It's just too out there for me. And I hear that's pretty tame to his other stuff. I always feel a little weird about not liking "classics", and I really respect what he was trying to do with his writing, but me and Kurt just don't jive.
Trust me, I completely understand. Kurt writing definitely isn't for everyone. And that's one of his tamer works. I think it's cool that you even tried it. I have the same issue getting into some really popular authors. Although not even considered in the same atmosphere as Vonnegut as a writer, I read a Koontz book on the recommendation of one of my coworkers, and I thought that shyt was absolute trash, to the point that I can't understand how he's so popular. Refuse to read anything else from him.