Books - what are you reading? (Official Book Thread)

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
i gave up on it... it was the same with the tallisman, he dosent explain shyt of what happens, thing just happen and he dosent explain how they happen(maybe he explains it in the later volumes) not just what happens but how it happens
like GRRM said you need some "magic" in a fantasy but to much magic is like to much salt in a stew and all you cant taste is the salt and anything can happen
Yeah, a lot, but not all, gets cleared up later. The first book is really just an introduction to the main character and his motivation. It's supposed to be clouded in mystery as the layers of story get peeled back over the next 6 books.

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
House of Leaves.

I can't even describe this book. I don't even know what I'm reading most of the time.

It's great.
Just bought this not too long ago. Before I started reading it, I was flipping through it looking at the format like :merchant:

• Dap
Reactions: no.

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yeah, I tried so hard to like Slaughterhouse 5, but I couldn't. It's just too out there for me. And I hear that's pretty tame to his other stuff. I always feel a little weird about not liking "classics", and I really respect what he was trying to do with his writing, but me and Kurt just don't jive.
You should give cats cradle a read, a lot of people say it's his best work, I was immediately into it from the first few pages. I love Vonnegut but I'm with you on slaughterhouse 5 being one of his weaker books. It was the first of his that I read and despite me not necessarily liking the plot, I could tell that his style and general views of the world were right up my alley

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Trust me, I completely understand. Kurt writing definitely isn't for everyone. And that's one of his tamer works. I think it's cool that you even tried it. I have the same issue getting into some really popular authors. Although not even considered in the same atmosphere as Vonnegut as a writer, I read a Koontz book on the recommendation of one of my coworkers, and I thought that shyt was absolute trash, to the point that I can't understand how he's so popular. Refuse to read anything else from him.

Yeah, I can't get into Koontz either. And I found that odd considering how much I like King.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
You should give cats cradle a read, a lot of people say it's his best work, I was immediately into it from the first few pages. I love Vonnegut but I'm with you on slaughterhouse 5 being one of his weaker books. It was the first of his that I read and despite me not necessarily liking the plot, I could tell that his style and general views of the world were right up my alley
Remind me what Cats Cradle is about. Is that the one with the island family, ice 9, and the created religion? If so I really enjoyed that 1 too but thought that was more out there for someone first reading Vonnegut than Slaughterhouse 5. I've read so many of his books that a lot of them run together.

TKOK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sactown
Been reading this book i picked up called Heaven's Shadow by the guy who helped write The Dark Knight and Man of Steel. It's about these groups of Astronauts who go to a asteroid to study it and find out it's actually a Alien Spaceship. it's good but could be better,got quite a few :ohhh:moments.

Last edited:

Suspicious Dingo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sydney, Austalia

Following a scalding row with her mother, fifteen-year-old Holly Sykes slams the door on her old life. But Holly is no typical teenage runaway: a sensitive child once contacted by voices she knew only as “the radio people,” Holly is a lightning rod for psychic phenomena. Now, as she wanders deeper into the English countryside, visions and coincidences reorder her reality until they assume the aura of a nightmare brought to life.

For Holly has caught the attention of a cabal of dangerous mystics—and their enemies. But her lost weekend is merely the prelude to a shocking disappearance that leaves her family irrevocably scarred. This unsolved mystery will echo through every decade of Holly’s life, affecting all the people Holly loves—even the ones who are not yet born.

A Cambridge scholarship boy grooming himself for wealth and influence, a conflicted father who feels alive only while reporting from occupied Iraq, a middle-aged writer mourning his exile from the bestseller list—all have a part to play in this surreal, invisible war on the margins of our world. From the medieval Swiss Alps to the nineteenth-century Australian bush, from a hotel in Shanghai to a Manhattan townhouse in the near future, their stories come together in moments of everyday grace and extraordinary wonder.

As with everything else written by David Mitchell, this book is motherfukking fantastic. He manages to blend genres, time periods and different narrators with such seamless ease, as well as writing a terrific, engrossing story. I genuinely consider Mitchell the greatest living novelist.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I used to read heavy. If I ever do get into a book that I like, I can't put it down. The last book I read was the Rob Ford one back in May.

But my favourite book of all time is 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'. It's from the writer of 'The Kite Runner'.

I guarantee you guys will like it. If you don't, feel free to neg me on multiple occasions

• Dap
Reactions: no.

FrostBite

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What are your guys' thoughts on audiobooks? I was always kind of anti-audiobook because it seemed like cheating. I've come around on them lately though. I can finish books a lot faster since I can listen to them at times I normally wouldn't be able to read (in the car, while I'm working, etc). Listening still doesn't feel as rewarding as actually reading a book all the way through though.

mattlanta

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Does anyone use their iPad as an eBook reader? I've been debating on whether or not to cop a Kindle for this type of shyt, but the iPad w/ retina display looks like something I would get more use out of as an all around gadget instead of just an eBook reader.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Does anyone use their iPad as an eBook reader? I've been debating on whether or not to cop a Kindle for this type of shyt, but the iPad w/ retina display looks like something I would get more use out of as an all around gadget instead of just an eBook reader.
honestly i just use my galaxy :yeshrug: not tryna carry around somethin extra unless i actually have the physical copy of the book