Books - what are you reading? (Official Book Thread)

Cory MBA

Bigger Picture
Daps
outliers.jpg

Just cracked this open
Keep me updated on this...I've had it in the queue for a while.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Keep me updated on this...I've had it in the queue for a while.
It's interesting, but kinda bullshyt.
A lot of people have taken shots at Malcolm Gladwell's logic.

10,000 hours is an arbitrary number, but it's fairly accurate to say that the more time one spends doing something, the better they'll get at it.

You should read it, but it's not some :ohhh: kind of book. Not to me.

At the very least you'll get a good trivia question to ask your friends: Why are manhole covers round? :troll:

Cory MBA

Bigger Picture
Daps
I'm currently reading this as well and so far it's amazingly written.
Definitely...It documents our plight from Africa to now. I never had it broken down and packaged like this. The migration from the South to the North, the reparation formula, the homeownership issue, blockbusters, ghettos, white flight, systematic racism, us being outside of the law, our lack of citizenship, the slavery, the breaking apart of families, cases we have won, subprime loans, the recent foreclosure issues, slaves as assets, bank of america, the jewish reparations from germany.....all eye-opening points.

Cory MBA

Bigger Picture
Daps
It's interesting, but kinda bullshyt.
A lot of people have taken shots at Malcolm Gladwell's logic.

10,000 hours is an arbitrary number, but it's fairly accurate to say that the more time one spends doing something, the better they'll get at it.

You should read it, but it's not some :ohhh: kind of book. Not to me.

At the very least you'll get a good trivia question to ask your friends: Why are manhole covers round? :troll:
Ok. I won't bump it up on my list then. lol

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm playing catch up on books I should have read years ago.

Junot_wao_cover.jpg

and

homepage-book9.png

and after those, I have to finally read

51G1QbMh%2BLL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

But it's like 800 pages

:why:

Poh SIti Dawn

Staying Positive, Getting Better Everyday. Holler!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm playing catch up on books I should have read years ago.

Junot_wao_cover.jpg

and

homepage-book9.png

and after those, I have to finally read

51G1QbMh%2BLL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

But it's like 800 pages

:why:
Dostoevsky books<<<>>>>>.

Long, you have to deal with the confusion of the Russian naming system (it was easy for me in Crime & Punishment, but easy to get lost as well), everything has a magnifying glass held to it, which is why it's like 800 pages.

I've only read crime & punishment and that shyt had me feeling like: 800 pages?:snoop: 800 pages?:what: but then it was :whoo: Judging Raskolnikov :ufdup: then I towards the end as thing concluded :to: and then finished. The story was so :noah:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Dostoevsky books<<<>>>>>.

Long, you have to deal with the confusion of the Russian naming system (it was easy for me in Crime & Punishment, but easy to get lost as well), everything has a magnifying glass held to it, which is why it's like 800 pages.

I've only read crime & punishment and that shyt had me feeling like: 800 pages?:snoop: 800 pages?:what: but then it was :whoo: Judging Raskolnikov :ufdup: then I towards the end as thing concluded :to: and then finished. The story was so :noah:
Well I have quite a while before i get to Brothers Karamazov. I still have 1.5 books to finish before I start on Oscar Wao and The Other Wes Moore.

But I'll give it a sincere shot. A lot of people tell me it's an amazing book.

Poh SIti Dawn

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well I have quite a while before i get to Brothers Karamazov. I still have 1.5 books to finish before I start on Oscar Wao and The Other Wes Moore.

But I'll give it a sincere shot. A lot of people tell me it's an amazing book.
I hear the same thing tbh. I was reading Pushkin, ended up giving my grandmother the book to give to my uncle, he just told me he's going to read it right now. Pushkins short stories :noah:

Anyway, just be observant, I think there's a lot of details and such that go into his books.

To keep thread on track, I'm reading 100 years of solitude by Gavriel Garcia Marquez.

Colonel Aureliano Buendia reminds me so much of myself it's crazy :mindblown:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I hear the same thing tbh. I was reading Pushkin, ended up giving my grandmother the book to give to my uncle, he just told me he's going to read it right now. Pushkins short stories :noah:

Anyway, just be observant, I think there's a lot of details and such that go into his books.

To keep thread on track, I'm reading 100 years of solitude by Gavriel Garcia Marquez.

Colonel Aureliano Buendia reminds me so much of myself it's crazy :mindblown:
Man, you know how in The Matrix Neo learned kung fu in like 20 seconds?
They need to come out with that shyt so I can read books that fast. There's so much on my list and not enough time!

Poh SIti Dawn

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man, you know how in The Matrix Neo learned kung fu in like 20 seconds?
They need to come out with that shyt so I can read books that fast. There's so much on my list and not enough time!
Lol, it's crazy right? But you have enough time, definitely (btw I definitely have to buy Trainspotting). I think that it's good, like, can you imagine the amount of quality alone/quiet time that you'd get if you read a book in 20 seconds? I'll be at work, have some downtime or be on lunch so I'll take my book and my dictionary and go read. shyts like having an intellectual cigarette

TKOK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Sactown
:krs: nikka wtf i JUST got put on to the artist who drew this cover, was literally just looking at that picture a hour or so ago but didn't know it was the cover for a book, these weird ass coincidences :whew: will check it out

and as far as shyt im looking forward to..........

there is only one :wow:

the Doors of Stone by Patrick Rothfus :wow:
3rd and final book of the Kingkiller Chronicles trilogy :wow:
if you want magic and adventure, that is the series to read :lawd: shyt is perfection
any news on when Doors of Stone is coming out?

Currently reading the first Mistborn book. Magic system is a bit confusing but other then that it's a real good book.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
any news on when Doors of Stone is coming out?

Currently reading the first Mistborn book. Magic system is a bit confusing but other then that it's a real good book.
i check that nikkas blog periodically and he hasn't given us a date yet :sadcam:

i gotta know what happens to Reshi :to:

but if by some miracle Doors of Stone and Winds of Winter by GRRM release in the same year :ohlawd::ohlawd::ohlawd: might have to lock myself up in the crib for a couple weeks