Books - what are you reading? (Official Book Thread)

Daps
Reppin
London
Ayn Rand's Philosophy: Who Needs It.
51L%2BsLh4UiL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX342_SY445_CR,0,0,342,445_SH20_OU02_.jpg

So far, I'm reminded of why I dislike Rand's way of doing philosophy; her absurd American jingoism, and that, to quote - IIRC, Robert Solomon - Nietzsche said it better.

Iain M. Banks' Consider Phlebas.
51TrnvvDCLL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX342_SY445_CR,0,0,342,445_SH20_OU02_.jpg

It's a bit slow moving, but I'm sure it'll pick up. His writing style is quite fluid, so it's been okay but pleasurable so far.

Unfortunately, I keep finding myself busy with other things, so it might take a while to finish Rand's book.

-----

This account was for entertainment purposes only.
Daps
Reppin
Paradise
Edit

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
London
i need some new philosophical science-fiction piff on the level of Dune :sadcam:

even a dope fantasy/wizard style book would be nice right now :sadbron:

Rothfuss better hurry his ass up with that 3rd KingKiller chronicle :to:

Read Flowers for Algernon, if you haven't already. It's not Dune-esque, but it's a relatively quick sci-fi with intelligence. Almost anything by Philip K. dikk, too. I'm a massive fan, so I supposed I'm biased towards him, but I've enjoyed even his "weak" stuff. He gets the brain working. I'll say Neil Gaiman's American Gods, too. That's more fantasy, though.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
How was it? I've been thinking of picking it up for a while.
Its split between 2 main characters, which I hate. You inherently will be more attached to one over the other and I tend to lose interest in the second characters storyline. That being said, the woman lead's story is much better than the male lead's. His doesn't get good until like 500 pages in honestly (its a 1000 page book) once the stories start to meld together and the second woman takes precedent in his story. Its not scifi but there is a parallel world that the book centers around. All in all, it was a good read but you have to power through a few hundred pages to get to it. Similar to Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have alot of time on your hands. Payoff is moderate.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Hmm. I'm not reading anything myself right now. How do you feel about urban contemporary fantasy? :patrice: I loooooove Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series (werewolves). I read every book within a day or two.

moon-called-patricia-briggs-hardcover-cover-art1.jpg
Blood+Bound.jpg
14121381.jpg

http://www.patriciabriggs.com/books/

Karen Chance (vampires, witches & warlocks)

cover.png

(book one)
http://www.karenchance.com/books.html
My brother read those as well and liked them so... let me know if they're too "girly". :lupe:

I'll come back when I think of something else.

i'll peruse through these and see if any of em stick with me, good looks on always coming through with a suggestion tho :salute:

Read Flowers for Algernon, if you haven't already. It's not Dune-esque, but it's a relatively quick sci-fi with intelligence. Almost anything by Philip K. dikk, too. I'm a massive fan, so I supposed I'm biased towards him, but I've enjoyed even his "weak" stuff. He gets the brain working. I'll say Neil Gaiman's American Gods, too. That's more fantasy, though.
lemme correct myself, i should NOT have said somethine like Dune cuz i honestly dont think any other sci-fi series is coming close to that :ohlawd:
I've read a got bit of Neil Gaiman as well :ehh: he's pretty dope but im not sure about american gods, just going off of the summary :patrice:

idk i have very specific taste in books :yeshrug:

in the sci-fi realm(barring Dune of course) i'd read something like Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson or even Fire Starter by Steven King :ohlawd:

in fantasy i LOVE shyt like Patrick Rothfuss's KingKiller chronicle series(recommend that to anyone who fukks with magic in any kind of way, shyt is Harry Potter-level god status wizardy :banderas: pure piff) or The Left Hand of God trilogy by Paul Hoffman and the His Dark Materials trilogy (the golden compass, etc.) by Phillip Pullman

im basically an adventure junkie :manny:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
@Cheeky also check out the Unfettered anthology, is a bunch of PIFF short fanasty stories including one by Rothfuss the gawd :ohlawd: at first i thought a short story would be kind of :ld: but they definitely came with quality shyt

Cwilk02

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Right now i'm reading the Hilarity Ensures by Tucker Max. It's funny as hell.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
51fUBInXszL.jpg

a warship's artificial intelligence is exiled and put into a human body and is out for revenge, that premise alone should tell you this shyt gets wild :wow: @Cheeky

:wow: it's flames brehs

Last edited:

mtu wa chuma

archangel of terror
Supporter
Daps
Been reading 'dancing in the glory of monsters'

It's about Africa's so called Great War between so many countries in Eastern Africa.

Great book if you want to know about what's happening in the Congo right now and how it all started.

Roberto Dinero

Dropped from #TnT
Daps
Reppin
The Infamous World's End Houses
:whew: This is a hustler's scroll. It is definitely NOT for square dudes.

41TaQ5fBplL.jpg

l_55018de0efb24e9cbf30006b323ba01c.jpg

I wouldn't mind reading this guy's book. I friended him on Facebook! :laugh: His youtube interviews are hilarious.

I don't read much but I'm trying to get into it. I read Prodigy's book a couple of months ago. I've also read the bible recently. Front to back the whole thing. This is my 1st post in this thread.

Right now I'm reading Joe Glenton's book "Soldier Box". Joe Glenton is a British soldier that refused to return to Afghanistan after his first tour and was imprisoned. He did 5 months and the government ended up releasing him.

Next I got this book on the history of opium. Should be interesting.