Books - what are you reading? (Official Book Thread)

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
What libraries do yall have Overdrive / Libby accounts for?
I have Broward County and Harris County even though I don't live in Florida or Texas. I just signed up online and they didn't check shyt. I had San Jose Cali but they kicked me off. Also got my own Genesee District account and my mom's Flint Public Library account.

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just finished The Last One Left and North Woods.

Heaven and Earth Grocery Store / The Wager are on deck and I'm halfway though Dune Messiah which has proven to be a chore. Way too procedural so far for my liking but I'm going to power through it to get to Children of Dune

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have Broward County and Harris County even though I don't live in Florida or Texas. I just signed up online and they didn't check shyt. I had San Jose Cali but they kicked me off. Also got my own Genesee District account and my mom's Flint Public Library account.
I just have my local library

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just finished The Last One Left and North Woods.

Heaven and Earth Grocery Store / The Wager are on deck and I'm halfway though Dune Messiah which has proven to be a chore. Way too procedural so far for my liking but I'm going to power through it to get to Children of Dune
I flew through Messiah. I liked it better than the first book

jensyao

Collector
Daps
Reppin
Schooling people takes forever; don't bother
dang, looks like they patched most of it up last year ever since reddit found out about it, and contactless approval is back to in-person pick up

otherwise, here's this list for residents in-state who can apply

maybe it's my sample size, but a lot of the cities that practice NIMBY for the library hubs that are white flight destinations have lesser the choices in what knowledge books that you can obtain. I remember group-sharing library accounts with some friends in other states (we can probably do that here for the people who are down) just to check out what they had but it's tedious to log on and remember different branches of overdrive and having to juggle different library card logins, just to check who has it...also, once you find out the library card's number pattern, you can go down the line of next numbers until you find someone whose pin is default the last 4 digits of the card or the same as that library's zip code

also, most of the library's selection for large city hubs always have the latest novel or some sassy autobiography because of how many basic karens requesting it but none of your requests ever get fulfilled or get drowned out by everyone else...you're better off getting a library card where the city has good funding and the state itself is decently educated at around 100 IQ but the residents themselves don't go out their way to pick up a book after schooling, unless it's the latest conspiracy craze to investigate, and those are the best spots to get your requests in and not be 25th on the waitlist, if the librarians themselves aren't some 3rd generation daughter of the confederacy trying to still censor racism and what they deem as 'alternative history bunk'

they made it harder to request books, and it's roundabout where you have to download the libby app when you could have requested it on overdrive directly pre-pandemic

obviously, there's Audiobooks Online Download, Free Unabridged Audiobook Torrent on AudioBook Bay (ABB), MAM, and torrents

Last edited:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
How is it. I'm a bit worry about reading modern YA
The first book was good, but I think Book 2 was a bit all over the place. Book 1 did what it was supposed to, with a pretty generic plot - set up interesting characters, established a power system and lore, solid antagonist. Book 2 dragged to me, in trying to get them from point A to B, or B to C. But you could tell she was trying to get to a greater story in Book 3. She doesn't make anything overly complex.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The first book was good, but I think Book 2 was a bit all over the place. Book 1 did what it was supposed to, with a pretty generic plot - set up interesting characters, established a power system and lore, solid antagonist. Book 2 dragged to me, in trying to get them from point A to B, or B to C. But you could tell she was trying to get to a greater story in Book 3. She doesn't make anything overly complex.
That's unfortunate. I think too many fantasy writers fall into the trap of making everything a 3 book minimum series.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Found this Stephen King podcast called Just King Things and they are going through his catalog in publication order. But what I really like about them is that they don't shy away from the problematic depictions of black people which seems to be something that is never mentioned or prohibited to bring up going by the reactions on reddit

inndaskKy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mods, close this pointless ass thread, no good can come from it
full