Books - what are you reading? (Official Book Thread)

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Just finished The Will Of The Many. Was enjoying it a lot right up until the last few pages. I'm not interested in where it's going so I probably won't pick up the sequel.

It was pretty good page turner.

But the ending was like....YOU FORGOT YOU WAS READING A FANTASY BOOK DIDN'T YA.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finished up God Emperor of Dune a few days ago. I haven't read the last two but I feel like GEoD had a proper ending to the series. I'll read Heretics and Chapterhouse later this year but for now I'm going to read some of the standalones I have in my TBR

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Finished up God Emperor of Dune a few days ago. I haven't read the last two but I feel like GEoD had a proper ending to the series. I'll read Heretics and Chapterhouse later this year but for now I'm going to read some of the standalones I have in my TBR
I'd say put the series down for sure after chapterhouse, I'm pretty sure that's when the author died.

Once his kids took over you see a game of thrones level fall off with the writing IMO, it lost all of the philosophical aspects that made it hit :wow:

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'd say put the series down for sure after chapterhouse, I'm pretty sure that's when the author died.

Once his kids took over you see a game of thrones level fall off with the writing IMO, it lost all of the philosophical aspects that made it hit :wow:
Never had any desire to read any Brian Herbert Dune books :russ: From what I read is that they are glorified fan-fic that isn't even written half as good as what Frank wrote

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hopped back into Discworld and finished Pyramids several hours ago. Favorite one so far and the first one that actually made me laugh.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Piranesi was a dope book with an interesting mystery. It started off a bit slow for me but once it got going it never let up

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Piranesi was a dope book with an interesting mystery. It started off a bit slow for me but once it got going it never let up

The reveal messed with me. Plus I got :mjpls:vibes from it.

She kinda pulls the same thing with Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
I did at first but then it was more :dame: vibes with some of the things Piranesi was saying.

The imagery of a shoeless Black Man fetching stuff for white people and then trying to save the man that was trying to kill him....

And I didn't appreciate his "diversity" either.

I'm JS&MN, the black character is also in a subservient role to whites, as a core part of his being, and is also tortured by his white tormentors.

I'm not at all sure why she made either character black. In JS, she also includes some horrible middle passage stuff.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The imagery of a shoeless Black Man fetching stuff for white people and then trying to save the man that was trying to kill him....

And I didn't appreciate his "diversity" either.

I'm JS&MN, the black character is also in a subservient role to whites, as a core part of his being, and is also tortured by his white tormentors.

I'm not at all sure why she made either character black. In JS, she also includes some horrible middle passage stuff.
his appearance bothered me slightly in the beginning. He reminded me of this old book I read in school about an old black man and adolescent white boy and I think they were stuck on an island. Him trying to save Ketterley didn't bother because it lines up with his Piranesi personality that has been shaped and molded to where he doesn't necessarily react logically.

I haven't read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell yet. Maybe she is showing how white folks are willing to take advantage of and manipulate black folks... or maybe that is what makes her p*ssy wet

Last edited:

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lord of Light - Roger Zelazny.
I'm definitely gonna have to read it again. There were parts that confused me a bit but it didn't hamper my enjoyment. I want to learn more about Hinduism and Buddhism before I do a re-read, though.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just finished reading Roadside Picnic. This reminded me of Rendezvous With Rama. Being a book written 70s Soviet era translated to English, I went in thinking the prose would be a bit dry and laborious but it was the opposite, imo. It was bleak as I suspected but it also had a bit of humor sprinkled in.