Books - what are you reading? (Official Book Thread)

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finished reading Solaris a couple of days ago. I was surprised I was able to get the 3 month promo for Kindle Unlimited again after using back in December. Now I'm trying to figure out what to read next

Thick_Necc_Jenkins

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
:mjlit:Asian Grim Dark Adult Fantasy

81oz-Kyp-Az-FL-AC-UF1000-1000-QL80.jpg

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Currently Reading the Prince of Nothing Trilogy (which is the first part of series). Halfway through book 3.

Lots of SA, and some of it :dame:

Individual fights are good.
I can picture the battles.
The politicking is delicious.

Kinda grim dark/nihilist, not a lot of characters to root for - but everyone's motivations/thought process is basically understandable....

And given that it's kind of a retelling of The Crusades - the main characters are on the side of this book's version of the Christians, and the "enemy", who is not that evil imo, are the Muslims.

It's mostly about Bakker's philosophy on free will/determinism. (along with spell casters, demons, a holy war, barbarian from the steppe, courtly politics)

As I get older, books that delve into how people think, what they believe, etc - understanding what's going on in someone's head >>>>>>>>>> finding the holy sword to kill the evil demon lord etc.

At the same time, since it's epic fantasy, damn near feel like I need notes to read the thing. End up finishing a chapter, and then looking up the summary and commentary and realize - damn I'm not paying that close attention. (Happened to me a lot with Game of Thrones/ASOIAF),,,,

On a side note, I was watching a fairly popular booktuber, and I know she likes Brandon Anderson. (who I have not cared to rock with after those first few Mistborn books, along with whoever writes Locke Lamora and a few other "darlings" that can't be critiqued)

Back to Sanderson.

She let slip that she has to eat her food in a certain way (has to be flipped over), always been a fussy eater, problem child as a kid....and I'm not a doctor or anything - but she sounds like she gotta "touch" of the spectrum. And I notice that a lot in SF&F/Comic/Manga/Anime, but especially among Brandon Sanderson fans.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Currently Reading the Prince of Nothing Trilogy (which is the first part of series). Halfway through book 3.

Lots of SA, and some of it :dame:

Individual fights are good.
I can picture the battles.
The politicking is delicious.

Kinda grim dark/nihilist, not a lot of characters to root for - but everyone's motivations/thought process is basically understandable....

And given that it's kind of a retelling of The Crusades - the main characters are on the side of this book's version of the Christians, and the "enemy", who is not that evil imo, are the Muslims.

It's mostly about Bakker's philosophy on free will/determinism. (along with spell casters, demons, a holy war, barbarian from the steppe, courtly politics)

As I get older, books that delve into how people think, what they believe, etc - understanding what's going on in someone's head >>>>>>>>>> finding the holy sword to kill the evil demon lord etc.

At the same time, since it's epic fantasy, damn near feel like I need notes to read the thing. End up finishing a chapter, and then looking up the summary and commentary and realize - damn I'm not paying that close attention. (Happened to me a lot with Game of Thrones/ASOIAF),,,,

On a side note, I was watching a fairly popular booktuber, and I know she likes Brandon Anderson. (who I have not cared to rock with after those first few Mistborn books, along with whoever writes Locke Lamora and a few other "darlings" that can't be critiqued)

Back to Sanderson.

She let slip that she has to eat her food in a certain way (has to be flipped over), always been a fussy eater, problem child as a kid....and I'm not a doctor or anything - but she sounds like she gotta "touch" of the spectrum. And I notice that a lot in SF&F/Comic/Manga/Anime, but especially among Brandon Sanderson fans.
What's the booktuber's name?

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
What's the booktuber's name?

I think this is the video where I put it together for her.

Outside of this video a lot of spectrum people love Sanderson. But I also think there's some generational stuff going on in his fanbase.

Her love for ol boy makes a lot of sense when she talks about her childhood, in my nonprofessional opinion

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I think this is the video where I put it together for her.

Outside of this video a lot of spectrum people love Sanderson. But I also think there's some generational stuff going on in his fanbase.

Her love for ol boy makes a lot of sense when she talks about her childhood, in my nonprofessional opinion

Never crossed my mind that she would be on the spectrum, but I also haven't watched a lot of her videos. Mike from Mike's Book Reviews like the Cosmere stuff too and he is in his mid 40s and seems well adjusted.
All the ones I watch seem to really like Brandon Sanderson and Joe Abercrombie. I haven't read yet but I recently bought Mistborn, The Way of Kings, and the First Law Trilogy

Last edited:

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finished Elder Race by Adrian Tchaikovsky. I usually avoid novellas nowadays but this one here :banderas:In one POV it's written like a fantasy and the other is more sci-fi. Seeing how the two interact is so clever. I haven't seen it written the way it is in this book before.

Last edited:

Thick_Necc_Jenkins

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road
Never crossed my mind that she would be on the spectrum, but I also haven't watched a lot of her videos. Mike from Mike's Book Reviews like the Cosmere stuff too and he is in his mid 40s and seems well adjusted.
All the ones I watch seem to really like Brandon Sanderson and Joe Abercrombie. I haven't read yet but I recently bought Mistborn, The Way of Kings, and the Third Law Trilogy
3rd Law Triology is a wild ride

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Do y'all rock with Merphy Napier?

:shaq:

I prefer Tori's reviews

full

lol.

I rocks with Preston and Book Born

I like Petrik Leo as well

This tag team/threesome is good about the writer's side of it, which most booktubers don't really do, imo

I still haven't found someone that I think is really great though.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I prefer Tori's reviews

full

lol.

I rocks with Preston and Book Born

I like Petrik Leo as well

This tag team/threesome is good about the writer's side of it, which most booktubers don't really do, imo

I still haven't found someone that I think is really great though.

I watch Tori, Bookborn, and Petrik here and there. Merphy was the first booktuber I watched so I mainly watch her along with Mike's Book Reviews after I came across his Stephen King ranking.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This week I finished
Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett
The Shining by Stephen King

I think the movie's ending is slightly better but what happens to Jack in the book would've been :merchant: if the special effects could live up to it

I can see why Guards Guards is highly regarded among Discworld fans. Though I thought the previous book, Pyramids, was funnier, the story structure was much stronger than the previous seven books.

jensyao

Collector
Daps
Reppin
Schooling people takes forever; don't bother
audiobooks

pdfs