Votes: 83 56.5%
  • EPMD

Votes: 64 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
you back up NOTHING you ever say with fact, and half of your Bone stanning results in low quality posting against whatever is opposing BTNH. poll or not you turn into some madman quack when it comes to your boos from Ohio

man. a dude that voted for epmd in this thread has already broken that dj u-neek/trap connection down repeatedly on this board.

and its pretty obvious anyway. i just only noticed it in a few of the o.g. producers until he pointed it out.

the only one doing low-quality posting is you. i even got quotes on you from the old site(which is prolly when you started trolling me). so you should give yourself a warning just for voting, cuz youre not qualified to speak on the matter.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Basically my entire immediate peer group...I'm a 30 year old black dude form STL, and wu-mania pretty much completely skipped us for whatever reason...during the prime/peak of wu's run, Bone was by far the most popular and impactful group in hip hop to us

O ok. Got you.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
@Big Mel
Strictly Business dropped in June of 88.
Act a Fool dropped that November

So EPMD probably still got this

And "It's My Thing" dropped in '87. Appeared on the album in '88. A lot of early rap albums were that way. They'd debut with the single first, and if the single took off, they'd follow with the album usually the next year.

i.e. Sucker MCs/It's Like That drooping in '83, then Run-DMC drops the album in '84... "Make the Music" drops in '86, "Nobody Beats the bIZ" and "Pickin Boogers" in '87, then Biz drops an album in '88... "Eric B Is President"/"My Melody" in '86, then Paid In Full in '87. Getting that big single was just how careers would kick off then- you had to have that before an album was even thought of.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
And "It's My Thing" dropped in '87. Appeared on the album in '88. A lot of early rap albums were that way. They'd debut with the single first, and if the single took off, they'd follow with the album usually the next year.

i.e. Sucker MCs/It's Like That drooping in '83, then Run-DMC drops the album in '84... "Make the Music" drops in '86, "Nobody Beats the bIZ" and "Pickin Boogers" in '87, then Biz drops an album in '88... "Eric B Is President"/"My Melody" in '86, then Paid In Full in '87. Getting that big single was just how careers would kick off then- you had to have that before an album was even thought of.
No doubt. We're talking about You Gots to Chill and the More Bounce sample though.
King Tee dropped a record in 87 that sampled More Bounce. Was You Gots released as a single before the album dropped?

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
No doubt. We're talking about You Gots to Chill and the More Bounce sample though.
King Tee dropped a record in 87 that sampled More Bounce. Was You Gots released as a single before the album dropped?

Oh nah... King Tee got it then. "You Gots to Chill" was the lead-in single for the album.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Oh nah... King Tee got it then. "You Gots to Chill" was the lead-in single for the album.
It was released independently on Mack Daddy records in 87 though - so the question is did it have an impact before You Gots? King Tee got signed to Capitol and then dropped his album months after Stroctly.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
It was released independently on Mack Daddy records in 87 though - so the question is did it have an impact before You Gots? King Tee got signed to Capitol and then dropped his album months after Stroctly.

Gots to Chill was the bigger record and a Yo MTV Raps staple, blew up on both coasts. nikkas just talkin' out they ass... they don't even know how shyt was back then, and you can tell when they start talkin' that coastal shyt. Totally different era.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Gots to Chill was the bigger record and a Yo MTV Raps staple, blew up on both coasts. nikkas just talkin' out they ass... they don't even know how shyt was back then, and you can tell when they start talkin' that coastal shyt. Totally different era.
Yep - I completely agree.
But do you remember if both records came out at the same time? Or was Gots definitely first?

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
When people are notified seem to be voting Bone. Maybe that's a reason the poll looked odd before, as a number of people weren't checking it.

yea. thats the thing.

people want me to do something, and sure i can understand. if i was on epmd's side, i would be pissed too. but at the same time, whos to say that all these votes are favors when theres mad people in here saying they wouldve voted bone without being tagged. then theres people who were tagged that voted epmd instead or stayed out of the voting altogether. my daps from this thread went up like crazy too. and lets not act like dudes werent tagging in the other thread.

also, people complain about the one-sided votes in bone's favor from people who dont mess with epmd, but thats how epmd got a ton of their votes to begin with. i mean, look at some of the comments in this thread, as well as faulty arguments or lack thereof from the epmd voters. all we basically got for an explanation was a bunch of new york rappers sampling them. the '90s east coast centric crowd got a taste of their own medicine AS PREDICTED by even the epmd voters. yall knew yall were on borrowed time regardless.

i did a good job at avoiding happenings like this, with the way i had the brackets matched up but we're at the point now where its just 7 groups left and its un-avoidable.

but this is no dictatorship. i want to let others weigh in on this.:popcorn:

• Dap
Reactions: TNC

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Cant agree there 8 Ball and MJG laid the blueprint for that.

I've always thought Bone lifted/bit Foe the love of Money beat from Crime Boss.

What happened to EPMD, last I checked they were winning:sadcam:

:what:

dj yella did the "foe tha luv of $" beat. not dj u-neek breh. and that was a beat that yella had previously used for another ruthless group prior to bone signing there.

and this beat you posted is just a standard run-of-the-mill beat for its time. sounds like alot of other stuff that was already out there. nothing like trap either.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
If you wanna talk about setting a foundation for trap... shyt... "Pocket Full of Stones" by UGK. Sounded nothing like anything out at the time, distinct 808 beat, drug talk, Bun's flow... at least a few years ahead of its time.