Votes: 83 56.5%
  • EPMD

Votes: 64 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
The general public don't write history books. So what does that leave them? Their core fan base?

None of the second tier songs you mentioned are bigger. So which songs?

A co-worker went to see them a couple years back. Said they closed with NT.

If it's not about sales - why did you call Bone the highest selling group in your post?

i find it funny how you tried to not include "foe that luv of $" because it wasnt a top 4 or 5 hit, even tho its bigger than pretty much any epmd single.:laugh:

- half/most of the general public is manipulated by the history books. hence, the reason why the generic safe top 4 is pac, big, jay & nas.:laugh:
- theres songs i didnt mention at all that were bigger than any EPMD record.
- they may have switched up on occasions, but they just about always close with crossroads.
- its not all about sales, but the fact that they sold what they sold without a super-machine behind them is a testament to how big & popular their singles were.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
i find it funny how you tried to not include "foe that luv of $" because it wasnt a top 4 or 5 hit, even tho its bigger than pretty much any epmd single.:laugh:

- half/most of the general public is manipulated by the history books. hence, the reason why the generic safe top 4 is pac, big, jay & nas.:laugh:
- theres songs i didnt mention at all that were bigger than any EPMD record.
- they may have switched up on occasions, but they just about always close with crossroads.
- its not all about sales, but the fact that they sold what they sold without a super-machine behind them is a testament to how big & popular their singles were.
Bigger in terms of sales? Billboard? At the time of its release it was a hit - but not as big as Thuggish. Nowhere near the two hits from e1999.
Nowhere near as legendary as the EPMD singles I listed.

That's kind of my point about the history books. Right or wrong, each year Bone fades more and more.

Name these as yet unnamed Bone records.

I'm not surprised about them usually closing with Crossroads. I asked my co-worker "so they closed with Crossroads right?" And she was like no it was another song (she didn't know the name) and started singing Its Bone and Biggie Biggie :russ:
She's not a hip hop head at all - but that's how you sell 5 million right? :sas1:
Meanwhile - all of EPMDs fans are card carrying members of the Zulu nation. :sas2:

And yes - Bone was big and popular at the time - but we are talking about how they are perceived now.

So I was listening to EPMD all this last week - and Strictly Business is a flat out amazing record. What is your beef with that album? Get off the bandwagon? To me that album is up there with Paid in Full and Criminal Minded.
The next three albums aren't as good as Strictly (Unfinished probably the weakest) but are all fantastic, consistent records with very high highs.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
"foe tha luv of $" is definitely more legendary than any epmd single. and it was a bigger sales hit as well.

dam near all the props bone is getting in these threads are virtually "un-named" by the media. cmon son.

isnt the zulu nation headed up by a homo?:sas1:

whats wrong with how bone's legacy is perceived now? the same people frontin now, are the same types that fronted in real-time. a bunch of elitists, mostly from the east coast. oh and the zulu nation crowd right?:wrist: whats funny is, if epmd was from the west coast, their legacy would be above the law status. str8 brushed off and disregarded.

who said i have beef with "strictly business"? i think its a classic. i like epmd and i think they have 2, arguably 3 classic altogether. they just dont have any albums on the level that youre projecting. but hey, if you truly view those albums as being THAT good, then hey, i have no problem with you voting them. my beef is with the disregard & downplaying of bone thugs in this thread. not just bone, but the treatment of darn near all of these out-of-town groups, as well as older groups that peaked before the '90s. theyre all getting chitted on left & right.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
:rudy:

the industry was throwing shade on bone when they were poppin & in their prime.

what publications list them as a top 5-10 group? what publications consider e.99 a goat album?

at the most, theyll give them those props in the middle of somebody's article, but when it comes to making those lists, somebody is there throwing shade.

Maybe I was reaching some with the top 5-10 group but they are comfortably in the top 15, either way that's nothing to sneeze at.

No they weren't the album was held as an instant classic, they won a grammy, got MTV awards, Got 4 1/2 Mics in the Source back when it meant something. The only real knock against them were the circumstances that left members spiraling in and out of the group. But they were definitely celebrated at the time, there was nothing like what they were doing back then, harmonizing from a lyrical standpoint and still having the technical chops to tell a compelling story. It stood out even more because the album dropped right in the supernova that was the boom bap era, people just couldn't turn away,

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Maybe I was reaching some with the top 5-10 group but they are comfortably in the top 15, either way that's nothing to sneeze at.

No they weren't the album was held as an instant classic, they won a grammy, got MTV awards, Got 4 1/2 Mics in the Source back when it meant something. The only real knock against them were the circumstances that left members spiraling in and out of the group. But they were definitely celebrated at the time, there was nothing like what they were doing back then, harmonizing from a lyrical standpoint and still having the technical chops to tell a compelling story. It stood out even more because the album dropped right in the supernova that was the boom bap era, people just couldn't turn away,
E1999 got 3.5 mics.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

- top 15 is indeed something for them to sneeze at.
- the source gave them 3 1/2.
- they didnt win mtv awards. they shut the show down but didnt win not 1 award.

youre helping my case here.

They revised it to 4 1/2 I think around the time they did that greatest rap albums of all time.

why couldnt they revise it to 5?

LOW-BALLIN.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC

LOW-BALLIN.
The original review (review...not the rating) was dead on the money. Something to the effect of "their lyrics are really complex, but you probably won't be able to catch all of it b/c of their style and delivery".
That and their production has always been my gripe with Bone.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ

Yes they did they won best single for Crossroads, their performance is considered a highlight in the history

LOW-BALLIN.

My bad, not MTV award, they got a grammy for best rap perfomance, and they almost won Rap album but NBN won.

Also again you don't just give 5 Mics out, 4 1/2 mics is still a borderine classic and 5 Mics puts in the same class as albums like Illmatic, It Takes a Nation of Millions, Straight Outta Compton, or the Chronic, and it doesn't quite belong in that class (due to production). 4 1/2 is still a near perfect album.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
My bad, not MTV award, they got a grammy for best rap perfomance, and they almost won Rap album but NBN won.

Also again you don't just give 5 Mics out, 4 1/2 mics is still a borderine classic and 5 Mics puts in the same class as albums like Illmatic, It Takes a Nation of Millions, Straight Outta Compton, or the Chronic, and it doesn't quite belong in that class (due to production). 4 1/2 is still a near perfect album.

its better than half of those albums imo.

and is generally considered way better than alot of albums that got 5. hell, theres albums that got 5 mics in real-time that nobody gave a dam about.

LOW-BALLIN.