Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
do i file for taxes on stocks last year if i lost money? i held for less than a year

i don't think im going to file

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
If you lost money then you'll want to claim that so you can lower your overall taxable amount
Will I get in trouble if I don't claim? I lost 900 last year and got out the stock market game. Was only in there for 4 months. First and last time I ever play stocks

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel
Will I get in trouble if I don't claim? I lost 900 last year and got out the stock market game. Was only in there for 4 months. First and last time I ever play stocks

Your stock broker will send forms to the IRS showing you lost money so they'll be aware and will be looking for a matching line item on your taxes. You are legally required to declare the profit/loss on your equity holdings if sold during the taxable year.

I don't know why you wouldn't want to claim it... It'll lower your taxable income..Ex: Say you made 10k for the year, you can claim this 900 loss and now your total taxable amount is 9,100 (Thus you're gonna pay less taxes).

N.J.stan

RIP Mac Miller
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Sold GSS for 62% profit after holding for over a year. Sold before earnings for a buck, now down around the 70 cent level. Seems to be finding support here, may have to dip back in.

GSS dipped to .69 early, ended the day at .735. Gonna see what it does tomorrow, but seems like this could be the bottom

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I have a little something left over and brehs have a buy low stock with some long term potential :patrice:
I was told that the market is gonna have a correction soon and I been reading that the volatility ETFs are at an all time low :yeshrug:

I was actually thinking about getting some VIIX and holding on to it for a hot minute...say until 2018 when I heard shyt might get a little rough.

But I'm not an expert...