Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Robinhood’s bare-bones business model has led to complaints about its customer service, with long waiting times by phone and emails that are not answered. Internet blogs are also filled with complaints about lengthy waits — up to eight days — to transfer money from a Robinhood account to a bank or vice versa. :huhldup:Mr. Tenev said the company was looking to solve these problems.

And some customers are frustrated that the company doesn’t offer options trading, a website trading platform or automated transfers from other brokerage accounts. Mr. Tenev said that would change. “If you look down several years, we’ll offer all of these things,” he said.

Not having a website is my biggest grip. I'm not someone who stays on my phone too much so I don't have an unlimited phone plan.

BushidoBrown

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Warren Buffett, 'Oracle of Omaha', criticises Wall Street and praises immigrants

Warren Buffett, 'Oracle of Omaha', criticises Wall Street and praises immigrants
  • Billionaire releases annual letter to Berkshire Hathaway shareholders
  • Praise of ‘talented and ambitious immigrants’ sits at odds with Trump

Warren Buffett applauds at a rally for Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton in Omaha, Nebraska. Photograph: Andrew Harnik/AP
Shares
Comments

Reuters in New York

Saturday 25 February 2017 12.03 ESTFirst published on Saturday 25 February 2017 09.29 EST

The billionaire Warren Buffett, whose stock picks have turned Berkshire Hathaway into one of the most successful conglomerates in the world, criticised Wall Street on Saturday, saying investors should “stick with low-cost index funds”.

The much-scrutinised annual letter to shareholders from the man many investors call “the Oracle of Omaha” also revealed that Berkshire Hathaway’s gain on its investment in Apple stands at more than $1.6bn, after shares of the iPhone makersurged.

Unlike last year, Buffett, a vocal supporter of Hillary Clinton, did not mention President Donald Trump by name. He did, however, talk up the vibrancy of American society and its inclusion of immigrants, one of the most polarizing issues under the Trump administration.

“One word sums up our country’s achievements: miraculous,” Buffett said. “From a standing start 240 years ago – a span of time less than triple my days on earth – Americans have combined human ingenuity, a market system, a tide of talented and ambitious immigrants, and the rule of law to deliver abundance beyond any dreams of our forefathers.”

In 2016, Buffett wrote that Trump was “dead wrong” to talk down America’s economic future and also emphasised the threat of climate change, which Trump has questioned.

This year, regarding Wall Street, Buffett wrote: “When trillions of dollars are managed by Wall Streeters charging high fees, it will usually be the managers who reap outsized profits, not the clients. Both large and small investors should stick with low-cost index funds.”

Buffett estimated that the search for outperformance has caused investors to “waste” more than $100bn over the past decade.

He called Vanguard Group founder Jack Bogle “a hero” for his early efforts to popularize index funds.

Berkshire Hathaway gained 20.8% per year from 1965 to 2016, compared to the S&P 500’s 9.7% gain, the company said. In 2014, Buffett said he planned to put 90% of the money he leaves his wife when he dies into an S&P 500 index fund and 10% in government bonds.

During the financial crisis, Buffett bet a founder of the asset management company Protege Partners $1m that a Vanguard S&P 500 stock index fund would outperform several groups of hedge funds of over the 10 years through 2017.

The index fund is up 85.4%, Buffett said in his 2016 annual letter, while the hedge fund groups are up between 2.9% and 62.8%.

Buffett said the figures left “no doubt” that he would win the bet. He plans to donate the money to Girls Incorporated of Omaha, a charity.

Buffett’s Apple stake of 61.2 million shares was acquired last year for $6.75bn, an average of about $110.17 apiece, according to the annual letter. The holding was valued at more than $8.3bn as of Friday’s $136.66 closing price.

Berkshire became one of the top 10 Apple investors, taking a stake of more than 9 million shares in the first quarter of 2016 and then accelerating purchases in the last three months of the year.

“I think Buffett likes Apple because of the hold or control that they are gaining over the lives of above-average income Americans and people around the world,” said Bill Smead of Smead Capital Management.

“Buffett knows that people have become addicted to Apple products and he invests in these addictions.”

The Apple investment appears to reflect much of the $12bn of stock that Buffett said he had bought between the 8 November presidential election and the end of January.

be stubbourn brehs
sleep on AAPL @ $105 like i did brehs :francis:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What's everyone watching right now? I've got my eye on the biotech ETF right now (IBB). It is pretty volatile so if/when I get involved, not sure how long I will be holding on for.

BushidoBrown

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
for the brehs looking for affordable brokers:

Fidelity slashes online trading fees

Fidelity slashes online trading fees
by Kathryn Vasel @KathrynVaselFebruary 28, 2017: 12:05 AM ET

Online trading just got a lot cheaper for Fidelity customers.

The brokerage firm has reduced its online retail prices for trading U.S. stocks and ETFs to $4.95 from $7.95.

"It's a bold move and the first time a large brokerage is below $5," said Ram Subramaniam, president of Fidelity's retail brokerage business.

The $3 drop comes at a good time: Fidelity said its users have been more active during Wall Street's recent rally.

Subramaniam said the reduced online commissions will bring sizable savings to customers, particularly more active traders.

"If you are trading 500 times a year, this price cut give you $1,500 back in savings."

The firm also lowered its option pricing to 65 cents per contract, a 10-cent drop from 75 cents, and lowered margin rates among multiple tiers.

"Across the board it's an exciting opportunity to give customers value back," said Subramaniam.

The brokerage firm, which has nearly 18 million accounts, claims it now offers the lowest prices among its major retail competitors.

TD Ameritrade and E*Trade both charge $9.99 for online U.S. equity and option trades.

But a new crop of financial tools is heating up the competition. For instance, trading app Robinhood doesn't charge a stock trade fee. TradeKing, an online brokerage firm that was acquired by Ally last year, charges $4.95 per stock and ETF trade.

Also on Tuesday, Charles Schwab announced it will cut its trade commissions on stocks and ETFs to $4.95 from $6.95. It had previously dropped the fee from $8.95 on February 3.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

DrunkenNovice

Superstar
Daps
(Reuters) - Snap Inc, owner of popular messaging app Snapchat, raised $3.4 billion in its initial public offering on Wednesday, more than it had sought, in the most eagerly awaited technology IPO since Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba went public in 2014.

The successful IPO pricing clears a major hurdle for Snap, which will go public without having yet turned a profit. The company's losses widened last year, and it is experiencing decelerating user growth in the face of intense competition from larger rivals such as Facebook.

Despite the challenges in converting "cool" into cash, Snap clinched a valuation of $24 billion, the richest valuation in a U.S. tech IPO since Facebook in 2012. It will list on the New York Stock Exchange on Thursday.

Snap priced 200 million shares on Wednesday night at $17 per share, above its indicated range of $14 to $16 dollars a share.

(Reporting by Lauren Hirsch in New York; Editing by Meredith Mazzilli)

17 a share....whose trying to grab day 1?

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Up to 25 back down to 24 :ohhh:

my buy in 23

Edit: fukk this, I aint buying

Last edited: