Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

Gang$tarr

sohh coli since 2001
Daps
I used to work at a top-tier investment firm.

yeah. I worked for RBC Capital Markets up until a few months ago but now I've left for a much smaller, boutique investment firm. I'd say the name of the firm but you could probably figure out who I am because only like 20 people work here. Our balance sheet barely has a $1 billion on it. less hours, less stress.... :ahh:

Cool....just wanted to know what positions u guys got straight out of school.

Was gonna apply at RBC (and others) after this school year but I'm thinking I might just go get my MBA instead cuz i'm 28 already and I wanna get all my schooling out of the way as soon as possible

Ali u leave the firm cuz it was too much work too? Y'all got me shook :lupe:

Daps
Reppin
NYC

Was gonna apply at RBC (and others) after this school year but I'm thinking I might just go get my MBA instead cuz i'm 28 already and I wanna get all my schooling out of the way as soon as possible

Ideally, if you're already majoring in finance, you should get a couple years of experience before you pursue an MBA. you're more likely to get into a better program.

Also, if you're not the type to be able to handle long hours, it might not be for you. Especially as an analyst early on, you're going to be putting in around 60 hours a week depending on where you work.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
yeah. I worked for RBC Capital Markets up until a few months ago but now I've left for a much smaller, boutique investment firm. I'd say the name of the firm but you could probably figure out who I am because only like 20 people work here. Our balance sheet barely has a $1 billion on it. less hours, less stress.... :ahh:

let me guess you're going to ask how to get hired on wall street next....
breh you have to yell me what industry you work in. i'm a nosy fellow :noah:

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Hope you held breh:blessed:
Nah breh. Them options expired last Friday.

Goes to show yyou how my luck has been. If it wasnt for the Syria the market would've surely been going in my direction. It's a shame the Fed meeting wasnt earlier either. I didnt buy anything new but I knew the market would continue booming. This shyt should hit 180 eventually but call options are probably mad expensive right now

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits

take accounting and stats classes for your electives. you might want to learn something like MATLab. A guy I graduated with got a job with JP Morgan right out of school because he knew MATLab. Out of school I got a position at a small investment firm. we specialized in getting government credit for businesses, financial advisement, underwriting, and getting loans for people with bad credit. the crisis had happened and banks had tightened their lending standards a lot (and it still goes on today) so it left a lot of people without able to get loans. After doing that for about a year I was able to get a job with RBC because of the experience I had. Even though what I did with RBC was different than what I had done with the first firm.

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
breh you have to yell me what industry you work in. i'm a nosy fellow :noah:

we do some capital raising, some private equity, financial advisement, trading, research and develop strategies, credit. I want to get more in the private equity side because I've never really done it before, but it's such a small part of our business. Like I said there's only about 20 people working here. I can walk right into the CEO's office and talk to him.

edit: when I say private equity I should probably say venture capital even though that's what they call it. The companies they do are usually CEO pet projects too

Last edited:

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel
Facebook will be crushed by twitter.

No, it won't, I've NEVER understood why people say this and continue to say this. Twitter is just a condensed version of a Facebook status. Thats it! The functionality of Facebook far exceeds Twitter. FB will NOT become a MySpace or any other past social network. It is the gold standard and will remain that way for a long time. A service that limits character counts in this day and age is not a remarkable service.

aliG

Pro
Daps

Im studying for my exams. You must have the heart and hustle to work early on between 60-80 hours. As you move up the ranks, you slowly start to give your life away to the firm.

Gang$tarr

sohh coli since 2001
Daps
Im studying for my exams. You must have the heart and hustle to work early on between 60-80 hours. As you move up the ranks, you slowly start to give your life away to the firm.

The hours get better the more u move up tho rite?

I don't mind working hard as long as I'm getting paid. I know I gotta put in my dues at the beginning, but I expect the load to lighten after 10 years or so cuz I could see getting burnt out doin those kinda hours for a long time

I guess I could just go do some advising or something at a small firm if that ever happens. Or move into a management position at a smaller company or a retail branch of the bank

Is that reasonable?

Bernie Madoff

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Otisville, Federal Correctional Institution
when is the blackberry LBO happening? @Bernie Madoff
Not sure but I almost scooped some shares at 8.10 but refrained. Prem is in at $17 I believe, so I doubt these $5-6 a share rumors going around. Also watching cnbc at 3:35 when bbry resumed from the halting was insane lol.

Last edited:

aliG

Pro
Daps
Not sure but I almost scooped some shares at 8.10 but refrained. Prem is in at $17 I believe, so I doubt these $5-6 a share rumors going around. Also watching cnbc at 3:35 when bbry resumed from the halting was insane lol.

I think Prem averaged down to less than 17$. I forget what the last figure was at. Anyways, if it takes another hit to 6-7$ I will buy in bunches.