Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
you're stuck in the present with some "whoa is me" perspective without looking at all the plans being laid out for the transition. ICE cars were once a luxury item as well, so were laptops, large (flat)screen TVs, smart phones...like in what world does technology not ever become mass market?
When I say that it's a long way off that's not some whoa is me shyt. It's the truth. Regular people aren't going to transition to EVs until it's just as easy and cheap to own one as it is an ICE vehicle. That's going to take a massive upheaval in society to bring that about.

I can walk in my rental office right now and ask them when we're getting EV chargers for the residents and I'll likely be laughed out of the building and this is from a apartment complex that got us smart locks and thermostats 2 years ago.

Let's not compare ownership of a car one of the biggest purchases people make next to a home to a cell phone, laptop, or TV. None of those things will have the financial impact a car has on a person. None of them have anywhere near the barrier of entry to ownership as an EV does either.

The first Tesla was out in 2008 it's 2022 and EVs aren't even sniffing being mainstream yet. It took 14 years to reach 3% of new car sales. It's still a distant way off. The stock market just likes to get excited about stuff early but most of these people piling into these stocks don't have a 10-15 year investment horizon.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Here in Michigan in the summer power companies start bytching about energy usage with all these people running their air conditioners. They start trying to get us to conserve energy just to that seasonal usage. I'm just trying to imagine the pounding they'll take when everyone is driving an EV charging them up at night if they can't handle a bit of seasonal weather without trouble.

These EVs out here right now are a tiny minority of the vehicles on the road. When this hist mass market and a majority of the cars on the road are EVs energy consumption will go through the roof. Not only is the infrastructure going to need to be overhauled for it but all that extra consumption is going to drive up energy prices as well as pollution to create the energy.

I mean I pull up to the gas station now and it's a minute or two wait for a pump. If they all sitting there for 30-40 minutes or even more to charge I've got to go somewhere else or they're gonna have to build far more chargers. Many of the problems that will result from mass EV adaptation are masked now by the fact that the upper class use them in much smaller numbers that the total market so the example exist of people using them without issue.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Here in Michigan in the summer power companies start bytching about energy usage with all these people running their air conditioners. They start trying to get us to conserve energy just to that seasonal usage. I'm just trying to imagine the pounding they'll take when everyone is driving an EV charging them up at night if they can't handle a bit of seasonal weather without trouble.
I think it will be even better for power companies actually. Charging overnight is during off peak hours where companies have excess supply and usually provide discounted rates. Power companies are getting additional demand during a time where they typically have additional supply. It's win/win.

I wouldn't be surprised if Michigan ends up w/ the 2nd or 3rd highest amount of EV chargers in the nation given how big/symbolic the auto industry is there.

These EVs out here right now are a tiny minority of the vehicles on the road. When this hist mass market and a majority of the cars on the road are EVs energy consumption will go through the roof. Not only is the infrastructure going to need to be overhauled for it but all that extra consumption is going to drive up energy prices as well as pollution to create the energy.
Hmmm I disagree. As EV becomes more mainstream, so too will renewable energy which has (had?) huge upfront costs but are pretty low in terms of fixed cost. (ie you don't need to do much of anything to maintain a wind farm or solar panel) and so ideally we will have the best of both worlds.

I was listening to a podcast today and the reason why prices are so high for oil at the moment is not because of a lack of supply, but because most of the oil owners of the world are unethical countries that already have sanctions against them. Russia reiterates that the developed world is running out of options and patience and need to take a stand with a shift to different energy options imo. There's a reason renewable energies (ETF: ICLN) have been on a tear since the Russia situation popped off

I mean I pull up to the gas station now and it's a minute or two wait for a pump. If they all sitting there for 30-40 minutes or even more to charge I've got to go somewhere else or they're gonna have to build far more chargers. Many of the problems that will result from mass EV adaptation are masked now by the fact that the upper class use them in much smaller numbers that the total market so the example exist of people using them without issue.
Biden’s 500,000 EV charging stations get a $5 billion start

Last edited:

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I think it will be even better for power companies actually. Charging overnight is during off peak hours where companies have excess supply and usually provide discounted rates. Power companies are getting additional demand during a time where they typically have additional supply. It's win/win.

I wouldn't be surprised if Michigan ends up w/ the 2nd or 3rd highest amount of EV chargers in the nation given how big/symbolic the auto industry is there.

Hmmm I disagree. As EV becomes more mainstream, so too will renewable energy which has (had?) huge upfront costs but are pretty low in terms of fixed cost. (ie you don't need to do much of anything to maintain a wind farm or solar panel) and so ideally we will have the best of both worlds.

I was listening to a podcast today and the reason why prices are so high for oil at the moment is not because of a lack of supply, but because most of the oil owners of the world are unethical countries that already have sanctions against them. Russia reiterates that the developed world is running out of options and patience and need to take a stand with a shift to different energy options imo. There's a reason renewable energies (ETF: ICLN) have been on a tear since the Russia situation popped off

Biden’s 500,000 EV charging stations get a $5 billion start
I agree. The initial barriers to entry are high, but battery technology and infrastructure are evolving at a rapid enough rate for EV's to hold a much larger segment of the market by mid-late decade. Automakers have already seen the writing on the wall and are dumping billions into EV and battery R&D.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yea, i think im just gonna throw most of my sideline money in this week. the nasdaq is clearly at/around some kind of floor

if we get another drop because putin lets off a nuclear warhead, then stocks will be the least of my worries :dead:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
yea, i think im just gonna throw most of my sideline money in this week. the nasdaq is clearly at/around some kind of floor

if we get another drop because putin lets off a nuclear warhead, then stocks will be the least of my worries :dead:
Given they just gonna let him take Ukraine without military action there won't be any nukes. Putin drops a nuke and the world gonna wipe him off the map with the quickness.