Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

Starski

Superstar
Daps
elaborate

bagholding = entering into an investment which goes horribly wrong, and you are then down a significant %. Then, typically the psychological defense mechanism of unwarranted optimism/delusion takes place. "It'll go back up I'm in this for the long term...I'm right and the market is wrong, ect.,".

Bagholding is typically a choice as the investor opts not to sell for these reasons. In this case though these investors have to watch their holdings go down...30/40/50+% overnight without the ability to sell even if they wanted too.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
:win:Got a power charger in my garage too. :wow:

However....don't be pessimistic my friend. :ld:

EV charging stations are popping up all over (need more Direct current ones. That's why Tesla is so ahead of the game having Superchargers all over the country).

Rental Apartments and such will adjust.

Refusal to adapt with what's looming on the horizon has been the downfall of so many companies trying to hold on to the status quo.
There's maybe 800 units in these apartments
If every single unit was occupied by a single car person or family there's no way in any reasonable time they'd have enough EV chargers to satisfy the need. The property owners aren't going to want to build all that.

That's going to lead to people to having to go off site and charge once or twice a week sitting for extended periods of time. People won't want to do that when they can fill up a tank of gas in under a minute and the car can sit indefinitely.

Let's also factor in that EVs cost more than regular ICE cars. People are out here struggling to pay their rent now. EVs are a luxury item for wealthy people who own homes. For the foreseeable future that's what they'll be.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
bagholding = entering into an investment which goes horribly wrong, and you are then down a significant %. Then, typically the psychological defense mechanism of unwarranted optimism/delusion takes place. "It'll go back up I'm in this for the long term...I'm right and the market is wrong, ect.,".

Bagholding is typically a choice as the investor opts not to sell for these reasons. In this case though these investors have to watch their holdings go down...30/40/50+% overnight without the ability to sell even if they wanted too.
in for a penny, as it were :wow:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
There's maybe 800 units in these apartments
If every single unit was occupied by a single car person or family there's no way in any reasonable time they'd have enough EV chargers to satisfy the need. The property owners aren't going to want to build all that.

That's going to lead to people to having to go off site and charge once or twice a week sitting for extended periods of time. People won't want to do that when they can fill up a tank of gas in under a minute and the car can sit indefinitely.

Let's also factor in that EVs cost more than regular ICE cars. People are out here struggling to pay their rent now. EVs are a luxury item for wealthy people who own homes. For the foreseeable future that's what they'll be.

The costs will make people adjust. Gas is going up not down.

Employers can install them (already happening). Gas stations are even starting to put them up (Seen some already at Pilots).

Forward not backwards. The adoption rate's are climbing. No one said Gas is completely going away, but adjustments are being made.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I still think EVs are a long way off. The national power grid can't support everyone using EVs and beyond that places like my apartment building don't have a single EV charger. The cost of housing and even renting is exploding. You pretty much need to be a home owner to own an EV and were going to have a lot less of those as more and more people are priced out of home ownership.
no you don't, new buildings all include charging

and within every major metro they're adding more and more EV charging - these aint cell phones, you don't need to charge it every single day

PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge

edit: forgot about work lots as well as public transport lots that have charging stations, the biggest barrier right now are production levels and cost to consumers

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I still think EVs are a long way off. The national power grid can't support everyone using EVs and beyond that places like my apartment building don't have a single EV charger. The cost of housing and even renting is exploding. You pretty much need to be a home owner to own an EV and were going to have a lot less of those as more and more people are priced out of home ownership.

The market is forward-thinking my brother. Ban on new ICE sells are set for 2030 in a ton of places, that's less than 8 years away. You will see fewer and fewer new ICE vehicles hitting the streets as companies turn major focus toward EV ramp-up.

There's a reason Saudi Arabia basically owns majority of Lucid Motors.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
no you don't, new buildings all include charging

and within every major metro they're adding more and more EV charging - these aint cell phones, you don't need to charge it every single day

PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge

edit: forgot about work lots as well as public transport lots that have charging stations, the biggest barrier right now are production levels and cost to consumers
As a working class person priced out of home ownership I would not buy an electric car. I have no reasonable way to charge it and no desire to spend more upfront on a vehicle when I can get an ICE car and fill it up when need be in under a minute. I'm not driving miles to a local charge station and sitting there for however long it takes to top off while paying whatever rate they wanna charge. If I gotta use a credit card to pay and fuel my car I'm good with what I got now.

Even now as a common person when I see someone driving a Tesla my initial reaction is they got money and I'm probably right.

EVs are just not a mass market product and they won't be anytime soon. They're play toys for wealthy people. Regular people will continue to drive ICE cars. Hell people are taking out 7+ year loans on those. EVs are both unaffordable and impractical for mass market adoption. Can easily see the luxury segment shifting to them though.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
As a working class person priced out of home ownership I would not buy an electric car. I have no reasonable way to charge it and no desire to spend more upfront on a vehicle when I can get an ICE car and fill it up when need be in under a minute. I'm not driving miles to a local charge station and sitting there for however long it takes to top off while paying whatever rate they wanna charge. If I gotta use a credit card to pay and fuel my car I'm good with what I got now.

Even now as a common person when I see someone driving a Tesla my initial reaction is they got money and I'm probably right.

EVs are just not a mass market product and they won't be anytime soon. They're play toys for wealthy people. Regular people will continue to drive ICE cars. Hell people are taking out 7+ year loans on those. EVs are both unaffordable and impractical for mass market adoption. Can easily see the luxury segment shifting to them though.
car prices will come down just like all new tech does

EV charging will both be in public spaces - charge your car for a couple hours in the work lot, as well as plug shares (people renting out their charging)

it only costs $300-1000 to install an outlet that can charge an EV

you're stuck in the present with some "whoa is me" perspective without looking at all the plans being laid out for the transition. ICE cars were once a luxury item as well, so were laptops, large (flat)screen TVs, smart phones...like in what world does technology not ever become mass market?

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
you're stuck in the present with some "whoa is me" perspective without looking at all the plans being laid out for the transition. ICE cars were once a luxury item as well, so were laptops, large (flat)screen TVs, smart phones...like in what world does technology not ever become mass market?

Thank you.

People get selective amnesia sometimes. The world will and is already adjusting. A full charge for most people will carry them for days.

I know I'm an outlier having a daily roundtrip commute over 100 miles per day. But the money I've saved in gas vs having my truck over the last 11 months has been incredible. The difference in my electric bill has been maybe 50 bucks and that's being generous. I'd be spending over 600 dollars a month in gas right now. And the maintenance... :whew: . Only windshield wiper fluid at 30k miles in 11 months.

nikka please on going back to ICE cars. :mjlol:

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
Thank you.

People get selective amnesia sometimes. The world will and is already adjusting. A full charge for most people will carry them for days.

I know I'm an outlier having a daily roundtrip commute over 100 miles per day. But the money I've saved in gas vs having my truck over the last 11 months has been incredible. The difference in my electric bill has been maybe 50 bucks and that's being generous. I'd be spending over 600 dollars a month in gas right now. And the maintenance... :whew: . Only windshield wiper fluid at 30k miles in 11 months. nikka please on going back to ICE cars.
waiting for that cyber truck :banderas:

lib123

All Star
Daps
car prices will come down just like all new tech does

EV charging will both be in public spaces - charge your car for a couple hours in the work lot, as well as plug shares (people renting out their charging)

it only costs $300-1000 to install an outlet that can charge an EV

In a world where there's still a global supply shortage in core materials that go into the new technology.

How a battery shortage could threaten US national security - CNN