Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
It's weird that COIN is down heavy today while both BTCUSD and ETHUSD are up. Finally some decorrelation ?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
SOFI :picard:

You good @winb83 ?
When I bought this I said at least 5 years. I plan to stick to that. I think if it goes too low a company like a PayPal or Square might look to acquire them.

As some of these stocks continue to fall I'm just gonna stop purchasing them and focus on buying more Google.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I mean I'm not even gonna talk about diamond hands. Why would you do this? Did you not believe in those companies you bought? What kind of time horizon did you see for these investments? I'm down 40-50% on all my growth plays and at this point I'm uninterested in realizing those losses. If they go low enough they'll probably get bought out and I'll either get shares in a new company or an inflated price on the buyout rumors or payout.

I look back on all the companies I've sold at a loss and pretty much all of them recovered in about a year from the worse. Hell oil was over and I sold Exxon. I had a cost basis I wanna say in the high $50s sold in the $30-40 range and today the shyt is $75.
i agree with you. but unfortunately i was relatively depleted cash wise and hope to buy a home in the next year or two. cant afford to have the little i have left be cut in 25-50% over the next year which is honestly very possible for some of these companies.

if companies i was holding were being reasonably treated in accordance with their financial performance...then cool. But i cant stomach holding companies that get faded regardless of how the market is doing at large, and how they are doing versus analyst expectaitons.

there are a few more positions that I have not yet sold. But 80% of my positions I sold

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Im sure others can relate, but sometimes in life shyt just wont go your wayfor a period of time. No matter what decision you make, the opposite of what you want to happen will happen and your mind will only get more and more jaded/clouded . It might even get to the point where you pull a George Costanza and switch it up only to see that your original plan might have worked. We all go through periods like that and when it came to the financial markets over the last year I felt that is the funk I was in. Sometimes, its better in my opinion to just preserve not only your capital but your mental health and hit the eject button.

I make good money as it is and the fukked up markets have only set me back whereas if i was just in cash the whole last year I would be sitting pretty. I'd rather just sit and save slowly with peace of mind at this point.

Make no mistake about it either, if the COVID-19 recession/bounce back proved anything it is that the stock market isnt what it used to be.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
i agree with you. but unfortunately i was relatively depleted cash wise and hope to buy a home in the next year or two. cant afford to have the little i have left be cut in 25-50% over the next year which is honestly very possible for some of these companies.

if companies i was holding were being reasonably treated in accordance with their financial performance...then cool. But i cant stomach holding companies that get faded regardless of how the market is doing at large, and how they are doing versus analyst expectaitons.

there are a few more positions that I have not yet sold. But 80% of my positions I sold
That's a tough position to be in. It's difficult to do but housing funds really need to be kept away from the stock market. It's just too unpredictable. The temptation to pull that massive amount of funds and invest it will be there but I've found that keeping it in a mostly isolated bank account helps.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
That's a tough position to be in. It's difficult to do but housing funds really need to be kept away from the stock market. It's just too unpredictable. The temptation to pull that massive amount of funds and invest it will be there but I've found that keeping it in a mostly isolated bank account helps.
Youre right bro. I went against my better judgment and had a bit of fomo due to missing out on most of the bounceback from COVID-19 in the markets. And I am suffering as a result. Just another lesson . Just gotta be patient for a good year and I will be EXACTLY where I want to be so fukk it. Going to keep it pushing with peace of mind and not dwell.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
shyt my homie got lucky and sold a lot of stocks that he basically gambled on early last year and was able to buy a crib using some of the gains + if savings
earlier this year he was telling me to preserve capital and hit the eject button but I wanted to stick to my long term buy and hold strategy. If I had listened to him Ida prolly preserved a good $10-15K

FB? Rinsed
Paypal? Rinsed
Palantir? Rinsed
Coinbase? Rinsed
CRSPR Therapeutics? Rinsed

I can go on and on. Welp

Rickdogg44

RIP Charmander RIP Kobe
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Youre right bro. I went against my better judgment and had a bit of fomo due to missing out on most of the bounceback from COVID-19 in the markets. And I am suffering as a result. Just another lesson . Just gotta be patient for a good year and I will be EXACTLY where I want to be so fukk it. Going to keep it pushing with peace of mind and not dwell.
Keep your head up breh. I feel you on mental preservation and things not going how you wanted

:salute:

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
SOFI :picard:

You good @winb83 ?
When I bought this I said at least 5 years. I plan to stick to that. I think if it goes too low a company like a PayPal or Square might look to acquire them.

I’m still SoFi gang :mjgrin: They’re buying up all the right pieces, but I’m not expecting it to make me any real money for 2-3 years.

Silky Johnson

The Master Investbreh
Daps
Reppin
Hatersbridge, BX
I just started The Intelligent Investor but I understand why Graham lays out the difference between investing and speculation right off the bat :wow:

Most of these so called growth plays are pure speculation and are getting gunned up and clapped quick.

Companies like Square, SoFi & em had some crazy valuations but then you look at the 10ks/qs and see the handshake ain't matching the smile. There are some ugly balance sheets that were getting gassed up.

I'm not going to front like dinosaur tech like Intel and hp are the wave either because of their low P/E but you gotta find the sweet spot. I only buy tech companies that have a decade of growth or better under their belt when they are on sale so my dividend portfolio is not doing so bad.

In my savings portfolio, I got stopped out of the VOO when it crossed below the 200ma a few weeks ago. I'm going to keep feeding the account but not buying any shares until we back over the 200 with conviction

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
Outside of SOFI and HIMS I’ve torched almost all of my growth plays in the last 60 days.

Other than ETFs like $SPY, I’m only hitting on blue chips and well knowns until this clears up - AAPL, AMZN, MSFT, CSCO, KO, NKE and DAL.
hims? like the ed company?

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I just started The Intelligent Investor but I understand why Graham lays out the difference between investing and speculation right off the bat :wow:

Most of these so called growth plays are pure speculation and are getting gunned up and clapped quick.

Companies like Square, SoFi & em had some crazy valuations but then you look at the 10ks/qs and see the handshake ain't matching the smile. There are some ugly balance sheets that were getting gassed up.

I'm not going to front like dinosaur tech like Intel and hp are the wave either because of their low P/E but you gotta find the sweet spot. I only buy tech companies that have a decade of growth or better under their belt when they are on sale so my dividend portfolio is not doing so bad.

In my savings portfolio, I got stopped out of the VOO when it crossed below the 200ma a few weeks ago. I'm going to keep feeding the account but not buying any shares until we back over the 200 with conviction
Square is a revolutionary company. Not fair to group them with the others you mentioned

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
hims? like the ed company?

That’s their most commonly known product but Hims and Hers ($HIMS) is a telehealth company that’s also expanding into general wellness products; skincare, mental health, vitamins, sexual wellness etc.

They’ve struck deals w/ Amazon, Walmart, Target, Walgreens and GNC, all in the last 12 months to have their products in their stores.

I don’t think I’ve ever used a single product from Hims (got my own preferences on skincare, vitamins etc.), but I’m a believer in them not only in telehealth (google the Hims App) but also as just having a stable revenue grower in Brick & Mortar / online retail.

A few celebrity sponsors w/ product lines are Jenifer Lopez, A-Rod, Gronk, They seem to partnering w/ interesting counterparts from a business and people perspective. My CB is at $6 but it’s been trading under $5 for the last month or so

EDIT : AND their earnings call is THIS afternoon, so immediate potential for me to look like an idiot a few hours from now :mjgrin: