Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

I kinda feel like if he wasn't going to face any sort of firing squad he should have just kept quiet. Personally I would have sold investments I wasn't forced to disclose if I needed to raise capital.

There's no way to spin it, bringing a SPAC to market then closing out your personal position looks like you simply made the move to cash in then close it out.

It looks like there's never gonna come a day where he says there isn't really a good target here so I'll return the money. That's been a main criticism of SPACs is that the sponsors are better off merging with anything to cash in rather than making the best deal.

I'm hoping he takes a backseat roll with SoFi and let's Anthony Noto handle things exclusively from here on out. Chamath is burning up all his "social capital."

CBalla

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
this could have an affect on ipof/d. SoFi/ipoe will be fine but ipof/d really have to be great companies announced. Chamath don't owe nobody anything but if this concerns enough people then that's all u need to affect price action.
Fair enough :ehh: I didnt know he brought the spac out @winb83 that is quite concerning indeed :ehh:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I probably should've taken some profits from spce when it hit $60 but I really like the future of this company even if chamath sold his personal stake in it. He's still chairman of the company and indirectly own shares.

Spce is one I'm holding for as long as possible
World's first space hotel scheduled to open in 2027
It's in my M1. I don't plan on removing it. I might add CLOV back since it's so cheap. I'm willing to take a chance on SPCE because as far fetched as it is if it takes off it'll be huge.

this could have an affect on ipof/d. SoFi/ipoe will be fine but ipof/d really have to be great companies announced. Chamath don't owe nobody anything but if this concerns enough people then that's all u need to affect price action.
Saying he doesn't own his investors good explanations for actions like this is laughable.

If you're starting blank check companies and recruiting investors to contribute money to them so that you can go out with their funds and get private companies to take public then you do own people explanations for public actions like this that have to be disclosed.

This is like you saying the pilot of the airplane doesn't owe the passengers an explanation for putting on a parachute and jumping out if the plane while its still in the air.

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
so we've shifted from killing cathie to killing chamath. this is a fukking game of moving capital, increasing its value and moving it again. the people looking for these folks to be their best friend and "diamond hand" hundreds of millions in equity need to grow tf up. people acting like he sold out of SPCE soon as it merged... :camby:

YaFingerDealMe

All Star
Daps
The IPO(insert letter here) is a direct investment in Chamath. Once the company merges or a target is announced it falls into the investors hands. If you believe in a company then sit on it, he is playing the same profit game at the end of the day :yeshrug:

Edit: same post above me basically but I’ll leave it

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
so we've shifted from killing cathie to killing chamath. this is a fukking game of moving capital, increasing its value and moving it again. the people looking for these folks to be their best friend and "diamond hand" hundreds of millions in equity need to grow tf up. people acting like he sold out of SPCE soon as it merged... :camby:
Why then would he move all his personal capital out from just that single company?

If you're going to be a public figure inviting people to invest in you then you also invite criticism when you make moves like this. He did this knowing it would be exposed mind you. He could have sold Tesla or whatever else company he's not attached to in public and left SPCE alone with no disclosure needed.

When the chairman of the company dumps all his personal shares damn right questions will be asked. Especially given the circumstances the remaining shares were sold under.