Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

Rickdogg44

RIP Charmander RIP Kobe
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Yahoo is now a part of Verizon Media

This week, investors will be eyeing new inflation data, which will offer a look at whether prices have already begun to creep up as some have feared ahead of a...

On Wednesday, the Labor Department will release its monthly Consumer Price Index (CPI), which tracks changes in prices for consumers across a broad basket of goods and services. Consensus economists anticipate that the CPI accelerated to see a 0.4% month-over-month increase in February, up from the 0.3% monthly rise in January, according to Bloomberg-compiled data.

Meanwhile, the video game company Roblox is set to make its public debut this week, in one of the latest high-profile, public facing companies to hit the public markets.

Roblox's direct listing is set to take place on the New York Stock Exchange on Wednesday under the ticker symbol "RBLX." The move comes after the company delayed its public offering late last year amid a wave of exuberance in markets following Airbnb's (ABNB) and DoorDash's (DASH) IPOs.

By going public via a direct listing, Roblox will have existing stakeholders sell shares directly to public investors, rather than issuing new shares and conducting a fresh capital raise in the process as is the case in a traditional initial public offering. Companies including Spotify (SPOT) and Slack (WORK) also went public in recent years via direct listings, eschewing the typical IPO.

Roblox was last valued in the private market at $4 billion, following a $150 million funding round led by the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz in February last year.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@winb83 what do you think about altria as a long term dividend hold...I'm looking at ATT, Altria, and Exxon. Thinking about adding a dividend pie to M1 with those 3 companies along with SCHD as a dividend ETF or just going with VOO within the pie.

You have any other ideas I'm just trying to build that dividend pie within the M1 pie so that it can grow over time and I can slowly DCA in over time.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
This is like you saying the pilot of the airplane doesn't owe the passengers an explanation for putting on a parachute and jumping out if the plane while its still in the air.

He gave his explanation. What more are you expecting? i agree that it's a bad look.. read my post again. it could impact his other SPACs.

but you can't expect him to sit idle if he feels a company is no longer worth the risk.

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
He gave his explanation. What more are you expecting? i agree that it's a bad look.. read my post again. it could impact his other SPACs.
Why that investment in particular was selected to be closed out in his personal portfolio. I don't know about you but if I'm selling something even if I need money there's a level of weakness in my mind to whatever I'm dumping. I'm not selling the strongest positions in my portfolio in my mind. Granted he'd never say that but it would be cool if he'd actually admit to it.

Cathy Wood for example said if things continue as they are and valuations reset she is going to sell weaker positions and put that money into high conviction positions. If you see her selling something after that there's no downplaying to her actions she thought it was weak.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Why that investment in particular was selected to be closed out in his personal portfolio. I don't know about you but if I'm selling something even if I need money there's a level of weakness in my mind to whatever I'm dumping. I'm not selling the strongest positions in my portfolio in my mind. Granted he'd never say that but it would be cool if he'd actually admit to it.

Cathy Wood for example said if things continue as they are and valuations reset she is going to sell weaker positions and put that money into high conviction positions. If you see her selling something after that there's no downplaying to her actions she thought it was weak.

i think it's pretty clear he felt it was way overvalued and in danger of having a very steep pullback. You can still love a company but sell out if you feel there's no more upside to the investment.

i'm saying it's a bad look because if enough people feel he is selling bullshyt then it doesn't matter what he says.. SoFi will be fine. You know what SoFi does.

his other SPACs.. maybe they will be great companies too and it won't matter. But if they are :russell: then you know what the downside is

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Why then would he move all his personal capital out from just that single company?

If you're going to be a public figure inviting people to invest in you then you also invite criticism when you make moves like this. He did this knowing it would be exposed mind you. He could have sold Tesla or whatever else company he's not attached to in public and left SPCE alone with no disclosure needed.

When the chairman of the company dumps all his personal shares damn right questions will be asked. Especially given the circumstances the remaining shares were sold under.
The goal of investing is to make money no? :huh:

you don’t know why he moved his money and what the plans are for it. Criticize all you want, breh made the move he was well within his rights to make. Y’all don’t like it, then pull your money from SPCE or don’t invest in it or any of his other holdings.

I literally have no clue what some of y’all are crying about other than “optics”

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

Regardless of how much you believe in a company you can be over leveraged with your investment. He has tons of exposure indirectly through his shares from being on the board. Executives sell personal holdings all the time when they’ve got other comp tied up in and exposure to the stock.

if SPCE dumps hard on its own volition, not because the market, then yea, Chamath’s rep is ruined. Otherwise you’re looking for his personal reasons which he doesn’t need to give

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
i think it's pretty clear he felt it was way overvalued and in danger of having a very steep pullback. You can still love a company but sell out if you feel there's no more upside to the investment.

i'm saying it's a bad look because if enough people feel he is selling bullshyt then it doesn't matter what he says.. SoFi will be fine. You know what SoFi does.

his other SPACs.. maybe they will be great companies too and it won't matter. But if they are :russell: then you know what the downside is
Then be upfront and say that. When you gaslight the public about what happened with half truths like it was a bad streach of time and I needed capital instead of admitting the truth it that it was weak and you dumped it then it actually makes you look even worse.

It's better to be wrong and upfront than wrong and use blatant misdirection about what went down. You gonna get nailed either way but one of those ways at least leaves you with some respect.

Most people in that position will never choose that. I never said anything negative about Cathy because she was honest and never tried to hide. She's a rare one.

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
so we've shifted from killing cathie to killing chamath. this is a fukking game of moving capital, increasing its value and moving it again. the people looking for these folks to be their best friend and "diamond hand" hundreds of millions in equity need to grow tf up. people acting like he sold out of SPCE soon as it merged... :camby:
I mean.....

Hes a fukking billionaire and sold ALL his shares.

He sells 50% this isn't an 'issue'. But if a rich rich rich person sells all the stock of a company they brought to the market....what do you think the reception should be?

Especially Cham is trying to position himself as everyday investor

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
Why then would he move all his personal capital out from just that single company?

If you're going to be a public figure inviting people to invest in you then you also invite criticism when you make moves like this. He did this knowing it would be exposed mind you. He could have sold Tesla or whatever else company he's not attached to in public and left SPCE alone with no disclosure needed.

When the chairman of the company dumps all his personal shares damn right questions will be asked. Especially given the circumstances the remaining shares were sold under.
Agree 100% don't see how ppl don't see this.

Bezos sells 30% of his shares tomorrow morning, cnbc and stock twitter would be crazy all week :manny:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I mean.....

Hes a fukking billionaire and sold ALL his shares.

He sells 50% this isn't an 'issue'. But if a rich rich rich person sells all the stock of a company they brought to the market....what do you think the reception should be?

Especially Cham is trying to position himself as everyday investor
He still has tons of exposure via shares from the board. This happens all the time with employees who get stock comp and invest personally in their company.

He’s a billionaire from making money on his investments, nothing wrong with selling out of it, when we’re faced with new market conditions that make the path back to 50+ a much slower one for companies like SPCE, and putting his money elsewhere. Optics be damned, the man is an investor and is free to cash out, move investments, etc. people sitting here with hurt feelings because they’re expecting him to have their same investing philosophy

edit: and like I said, people can feel how they want about him doing it, doesn’t mean he owes you any explanation or is shady for doing so. Plenty people would be smart to do what he’s done, move money out of speculative stocks whose valuations are under pressure