GOAT
Supporter
Daps
c17a871-1.png

blotter

All Star
Supporter
Daps
My net worth ain't high enough to mess with margin. You need serious paper on the sidelines to mess with that. Rich folks use margin so they can hold onto capital. Small paper retail investors like me can't mess with that.
I'm still educating myself, but it's all relative. Right now a deep deep red situation is the only time where I'd look to use it in a calculated way... I'm guessing people use it shorting in overvalued situations, but I'm not messing with that. At a moment like today where shyt is blood red look at ghvi

we know the floor with any spac is $10, say march2020 happens again and call it 9.. If you have 10 GHVI shares we can realistically and confidently call the floor $90 for your shares in a crash situation. Every security is different, GHVI requires 50% maintenance, $90 is 50% of 180. Since you're buying on margin at 11.50 and not at $9, you only allow yourself 7 shares. 7x11.50 = 80.50 keeping you under your $90 floor and 50% maintenance.

You hit a day or swing trade for a quick buck.. interest on margin on TDA is max 9.5%, divided by 360, times however many days you hold the balance. Day trade I don't think there is any interest. Margin accounts there just require $2000 i believe, hardly rich

I don't know other scenarios where I'd consider using margin, but when you're at the "how much lower can this shyt actually go stage" and especially with a spac like GHVI with a real floor that you already have a position in.. idk I'm pretty sure if you explained it to Dave Ramsey he'd tell you to at least cop 5.. not all debt is the same.

off 1700 shares keeping me under that $9 floor.. 1700 X 9 = 15,300.. round down for cushion call it 15000 that's the lowest my real cash shares can go. So needing 50% maintenance you can take 15000 and again give yourself cushion at every turn and divide 15k by your entry point of 11.50. That 1304 shares, again give more cushion call it 1200 shares.

at 11.50 per share I'd be paying less than $4 in interest a day to look for a spot to unload 1200 shares. that's ridiculous. .003 cents a day per share on something that will be going up at least $1 at some point in the next week.. Just need to be super disciplined about it and not get greedy, it can turn real ugly if you're doing shyt you shouldn't or if it never climbs back up.. this also isn't to say we shouldn't be loading real, long money to buy deep dips. just looking like another tool in the toolbox if I'm understanding all the costs correctly

this is not advice because I'm not 100% confident I have it all right, not sure if there are any other fees besides interest, but off this math alone I'm going to be fully educating myself this weekend

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
In addition to the data, the accessibility is why adoption of it makes sense. I've used interior mapping sites before and the site I used you needed a 360 camera for it to stitch together the images that you uploaded. Matterport enables users to map out their spaces with just a cellphone.

It's impressive.. the AI recreates your space in 3D from your phone like you said because all the data points it has learned over the years from their $4,000 cameras.. it knows how corners meet, where electrical outlets are supposed to be.. door frames, countertops etc. Etc.. data and AI make it possible and also assures no competition because how is anyone gonna collect that data to compete with their smartphone tech? Like where's the capital coming from to try and knock them off when they've got the blueprint on lock already

They're setting themselves up to be the FB/google/Tesla etc of interior spaces. I dont feel like that's a ridiculous thing to say.

bringing this to the smartphone about to take the adaptation and uses to the next level in the very near term.
ehh, you need the camera to map the space, you can connect your phone to it but you can’t capture the space on your phone alone

And y’all gotta stop using the google/TSLA of stuff to describe every company, they have competition and don’t have a particularly large moat. You love em, cool, but matterport is just a point solution as of now

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I think their positionning should be focused B2C because the product is very user-friendly and it's really far better than buying/renting a 20k scanner, scanning the rooms and remodeling themwith a BIM software :bryan:

When it comes to showrooms, it's basically limitless. Companies scan their showrooms and it allows them to display their products to far more people than what they would do with a live one. In times of COVID (or post-COVID), that solution allows for further penetration of a company to its clients and prospects. And you can also add tags on matterport scans which could directly go to the page where the product is sold. Just imagine Amazon or similar websites with manufacturer pages but you replace the simple grid listing with basic pictures of their products by a digital showroom that you can visit and see in context (with AR/VR or just moving through it Google Maps style) albeit virtually. Way more qualitative engagement for the user IMO.

Also I had used Matterport scans and coupled with 3D models one could simulate different tiling, different lighting fixtures, different doors, changing colors or textures by importing 3D models. Now it's a long time coming for this to go mainstream but there's is really more potential than just real estate if you couple it with AR/VR. If you have a scan of your interior, you could potentially simulate easily some refurnishing, some painting upgrade or stuff like that. If Matterport allows third party devs to integrate 3D model libraries or plugins to improve and update their scans, the tech has a good mainstream future.

Now I talk all that but I still mised the sub-13 prices for GHVI :mjcry:
I mean this stuff exists already, y’all acting like matterport is the final link, it’s not. It’s a popular software taking advantage of the boost it found during covid when spaces couldn’t be toured in person. It has its role but it’s not groundbreaking

that said, it doesn’t have to be to make you some money. I just don’t get the hype other than flipping their shyt pre merger

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I mean this stuff exists already, y’all acting like matterport is the final link, it’s not. It’s a popular software taking advantage of the boost it found during covid when speeches couldn’t be toured in person. It has its role but it’s not groundbreaking

that said, it doesn’t have to be to make you some money. I just don’t get the hype other than flipping their shyt pre merger
Personally I hope they get bought out by a larger company. A Zillow type company that can put them to great use. I just like the company and it's concept. I think there's potential for it there. At the same time I don't plan on making it a top position. I'm not looking at at as a 10x bagger or anything.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
ehh, you need the camera to map the space, you can connect your phone to it but you can’t capture the space on your phone alone

And y’all gotta stop using the google/TSLA of stuff to describe every company, they have competition and don’t have a particularly large moat. Your love em, cool, but matterport is just a point solution as of now
:ehh:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I'll be honest... I held off on Matterport because while it's dope, I actually used something similar last summer for a commercial real estate gig that my homegirl did interior design for.

I also had my info wrong, I thought you could use any phone to create the dollhouse. I have to look into this more...I used an INSTA360 camera but with the site I used, you could use any camera for it.

After looking at this, functionality wise Metareal > Matterport

Last edited:

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'll be honest... I held off on Matterport because while it's dope, I actually used something similar last summer for a commercial real estate gig that my homegirl did interior design for.

I also had my info wrong, I thought you could use any phone to create the dollhouse. I have to look into this more...I used an INSTA360 camera but with the site I used, you could use any camera for it.

After looking at this, functionality wise Metareal > Matterport

I think what happened to me is I got sold on the matterport by watching meet Kevin and the dude from matterport I believe was on there. Before I saw that they weren’t even on my radar.

Notley

Pro
Daps
For every overreaction there's another overreaction. Yesterday we didn't find out anything that wasn't known. People panicked about re-openings and panicked about covid cases. This has all been known and was "priced in" and then all of a sudden they see a pullback from the biggest month of gains all year and start panic selling

We could have more big red days ahead but selling at a loss is not something people should do lol

I was just looking at some of my notes from the thread, and I came across this post from June that I think says a lot about what we've been experiencing the last few weeks.

blotter

All Star
Supporter
Daps

And y’all gotta stop using the google/TSLA of stuff to describe every company, they have competition and don’t have a particularly large moat. You love em, cool, but matterport is just a point solution as of now
iphone 12 can do it. either you believe interior spaces will be digitized or you don't. either you see the implications of that or you dont.. :yeshrug:

to my knowledge no company has or is investing nearly as heavily in AI as matterport. to my knowledge no company has as much data collected as matterport. from a look before investing the competition was weak.. sketchup is legit, but not going for the same thing. zillow huge but ultimately not data/ai driven.

matterport just went public in a 2.9 billon dollar spac deal. until we drastically change something about our society the name of the game is data flowing into capital and creating more capital because data is flowing in. It's a closed loop. Even if everything is overvalued and levels out during this decade they still have huge room for growth unlike others in tech who got their launch 15-20 years ago

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I was just looking at some of my notes from the thread, and I came across this post from June that I think says a lot about what we've been experiencing the last few weeks.

yeah this isn't something we haven't seen before. Whether the afternoon session was a reversal or not.. i have my doubts on that but i'm never selling out of good companies just because everyone is panicking. This is so overblown. Yes, inflation could be a problem but the market survived during a global pandemic. Things are getting better. This is nothing by comparison. Maybe it brings valuations down and then they trend upwards at a slower but consistent pace. Nothing wrong with that if that were to happen.