Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I guess i dont really understand the point of investing strictly for dividends if you're not 50+ or already up

Like yeah SPG, O, APTS, and others will pay you for holding, but how is that better than the growth that tech has had over the past year? You made money but left a lot on the table too :gucci:

One way to look at it is from what I gather when we're looking at things from
a "Growth" perspective then we haven't made money until we've sold right ?
However every time that guy buys specific companies barring them cutting
their dividend like Ford, he's buying more "money" so to speak.

Sure, he won't experience explosive growth but if the company pays out for the rest
of his life, he's still gaining income, income which he can reinvest and if they're a consumer
staple type company the growth will inevitably come, just more slowly.

If they're a tech company with no dividend pay out and if you never collect profits then
it's ultimately just unrealized gains, so it looks nice but it isn't "money" yet.

So I can see where he's coming from, Dividend investing, index investing, growth focused investing etc.
They've all got their merits but one has to have a specific goal in mind.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I don't think I'm being overly critical of Cathie, there is some concern..

Ark funds are like high growth savings accounts for me. I throw money in them and don't have to worry about it.

Of late, that hasn't been the case. I don't expect them to continue 80% 100% 130% growth year after year that is an insane rate of growth for etfs. Even 20% would be good.

However, now we have concerns here of not only the rate of growth slowing but other concerns.

It's something that needs to be discussed. Money you put into ark should be considered "safe" and right now I'm not 100% confident that my money is safe in these funds.

Scholar

Superstar
Daps

Ark funds are like high growth savings accounts for me. I throw money in them and don't have to worry about it.

Of late, that hasn't been the case. I don't expect them to continue 80% 100% 130% growth year after year that is an insane rate of growth for etfs. Even 20% would be good.

However, now we have concerns here of not only the rate of growth slowing but other concerns.

It's something that needs to be discussed. Money you put into ark should be considered "safe" and right now I'm not 100% confident that my money is safe in these funds.
Money put into a ETF that aggressively seeks out growth companies was never 'safe'. Risk always involved and we are facing a correction so of course growth would be hit

princeofhaiti

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DMV

To that point I have shares of ARKK and right now I’m paying $11 in fees per year off 10 shares of ARKK assuming I don’t add additional shares. Yeah I’m up 85% since I purchased into the fund last year but disruptive innovation won’t always have bullish behavior year over year as you mentioned so if it falls to 20% in yearly gains im still paying fees at a flat rate regardless of stock performance. I will slowly sell out of ARKK so that its not more than 5-7% of my taxable portfolio acct

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Money put into a ETF that aggressively seeks out growth companies was never 'safe'. Risk always involved and we are facing a correction so of course growth would be hit

For the last 3 years it's been safe. They've been very consistent. Even when the rest of the markets were down they ended very well... so if that is changing then we need to discuss this that's all.. whenever a thesis changes it should be talked about

FabTrey

Superstar
Daps

I got out because I just don't believe in investing in too many stocks. It only takes few bad apples to drag the whole funds down.
:manny:

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So Cathie is a Jesus freak. :yeshrug: As long as she keeps outperforming nobody will care, myself included.

What does worry me a bit is that liquidity risk that @ogc163 (and others on Twitter) have started to question.
How long has cathie been outperforming? :patrice:

Armchair Militant

Stay woke
Daps
Reppin
Miami

Here’s a recent podcast that I liked about chasing top fund managers like ARK. They address the topic with history and data. There have been fund managers like Cathie in the past who seemingly had the Midas touch. But when they crashed, they crashed HARD. It can get ugly.

Not saying people should stop investing with ARK, but it has changed my view on them. It’s worth a listen.

Start at 18:27.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
this...i never saw ARK funds as safe, they have a lot of high risk investments and aren't diversified at all. i went to them for growth. my safe plays are VTI, VOO, QQQ, VNQ, etc - indexes

edit: and AAPL, MSFT and AMZN :lolbron: