Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
yeah it's been getting crushed last two weeks. I see they said it might be a $40 stock depending on network subscribers and television deal. I got out around $30.50. Wasn't worth the risk. I think if they can get a tv deal on a major network then it could help boost the stock. Put smackdown on network tv like how it was on the cw back in the day, and raw on cable. It's already on hulu so that handles all the cord cutters who get only the local channels so they can watch both shows if desired. Think April 7 is when they said network subscribers announcement was being made.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yeah it's been getting crushed last two weeks. I see they said it might be a $40 stock depending on network subscribers and television deal. I got out around $30.50. Wasn't worth the risk. I think if they can get a tv deal on a major network then it could help boost the stock. Put smackdown on network tv like how it was on the cw back in the day, and raw on cable. It's already on hulu so that handles all the cord cutters who get only the local channels so they can watch both shows if desired. Think April 7 is when they said network subscribers announcement was being made.

I don't blame you. I wanted to hold on for the TV deal.

无名的

Superstar
Daps
I'm watching CERE right now.

This shyt shows you the dangers of an IPO. Opened at $14.80 two years ago and closed at $0.83 today.

:mjlol:

I'm waiting for a bottom to make sure the bottom isn't bankruptcy and will likely buy a couple thousand shares. I wish this bytch had options.

Artal SA and Warburg Pincus have pretty big interests in the company and even though CERE just had a secondary offering at a $1 a share, Artal was actually buying more shares instead of dumping.

They have an interesting business of the future, but not right now, and it seems like investors have been impatient. The company was overvalued at IPO. Burning cash due to heavy R&D. Dependent on government contracts for revenue until product breakthroughs that lead to commercialization. Seriously affected by uncontrollable variables like weather.

Could be a long-term diamond in the rough, although they need to start generating some cash or will end up with more dilution, assuming anybody would even buy into another offering.

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
some movement on the hft gambling cancer .....

‘Flash Boys’ starts Wall St soul searching
By Arash Massoudi and Tracy Alloway in New York

c1d1027a-adc4-4b5e-a6f0-1bed4093cef6.img

'Flash Boys' author Michael Lewis

Michael Lewis, the author of Liar’s Poker and The Big Short , has Wall Street on edge.

The prospect of a new book by the prolific former bond salesman turned chief scrutiniser, taking a hard look at the predatory world of high-frequency trading, is spurring industry participants to change their approach to a business that has revolutionised stock markets.

The release of Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt on Monday comes after years of public debate over the lightning fast trading systems which have grown to dominate a fractured terrain where multiple exchanges and bank-run trading platforms compete for orders.

In the two weeks before publication of Mr Lewis’s book, Goldman Sachs has suddenly thrown its weight behind market reform after years of investment in HFT and taken the highly unusual step of telling staff to publicise its support for a competing trading platform.

Some market executives have even discussed with Virtu Financial, an HFT outfit preparing the first initial public offering of a global proprietary trading firm, postponing its share sale amid heightened scrutiny of its core business. Virtu declined to comment, but its roadshow is expected to kick off next week.

Regulators are also showing renewed interest. New York attorney-general Eric Schneiderman last week revived long-running and vociferous arguments against HFT by targeting the relationship between stock exchanges and trading firms in the latest part of an investigation into what he calls “Insider Trading 2.0”.

Mr Lewis has built a reputation as a skilled storyteller, able to tease villains and heroes from the most esoteric financial topics. In Flash Boys, he zeroes in on Sergey Aleynikov, a former Goldman programmer, and the men behind IEX, an upstart trading hub that uses “speed bumps” to level the playing field.

Over the last two decades, HFT firms have employed fibreoptics, microwaves and drones to shave microseconds off the time it takes to execute a trade. The technology race has raised questions about market fairness and the costs of keeping up, and has been criticised for its role in the May 2010 “flash crash”.

“Financial markets have changed too rapidly for our mental picture of them to remain true to life,” Mr Lewis writes, according to an excerpt briefly distributed on the publisher’s website.

HFT garnered widespread attention in the summer of 2009 following the arrest of Mr Aleynikov, who was accused of stealing Goldman’s proprietary code and imprisoned before being acquitted.

In recent months, Goldman has become the biggest broker on IEX. Gary Cohn, the bank’s chief operating officer, publicly voiced its support for market reform in a Wall Street Journal opinion piece last week, which coincided with a memo urging staff to publicise Goldman’s backing of the competing platform.

“We believe that it would be best for the overall market if IEX achieved critical mass, even if that results in reduced volumes in our US dark pool, Sigma X,” the bank told staff.

William Cohan, who has written three books on Wall Street and is due to publish a fourth volume next month, said: “Maybe the wiser strategy was to get out ahead of [the Michael Lewis book].”

When asked if he could recall a time when Goldman had encouraged employees to promote its activities, let alone a rival, Mr Cohan said: “Are you kidding? Never.”

Goldman began talks with IEX in the second half of last year amid internal angst about declining HFT profitability and a loss of equities trading market share to Morgan Stanley, according to people familiar with the matter. Goldman declined to comment.

Instead of pouring further resources into keeping up with the need for speed, Goldman decided to diversify and teamed with IEX.

Brad Katsuyama, an IEX co-founder, told the FT he had been meeting banks, including Goldman, since last summer. “Banks are just large, complicated organisations ... I’d be guessing if I had to tell you what’s happening at each individual one,” he said.

Goldman’s new public position has perplexed some rival bankers, in part because it is the lead adviser to Virtu’s IPO. IEX noted that Virtu also trades on its platform.

Meanwhile, critics of modern market structure are taking encouragement from the highly-public moment for an otherwise secretive business.

“This book coming out is the final nail in the coffin in proving high-frequency trading is an issue,” said Eric Hunsader, founder of market research firm Nanex. “Goldman wants to be part of the changing process but you can’t look like one of the winners so you must look like one of the victims. That’s pretty much what Goldman is doing. I was shocked.”

Daps
Reppin
NYC
some movement on the hft gambling cancer .....

‘Flash Boys’ starts Wall St soul searching
By Arash Massoudi and Tracy Alloway in New York

c1d1027a-adc4-4b5e-a6f0-1bed4093cef6.img

'Flash Boys' author Michael Lewis

Michael Lewis, the author of Liar’s Poker and The Big Short , has Wall Street on edge.

The prospect of a new book by the prolific former bond salesman turned chief scrutiniser, taking a hard look at the predatory world of high-frequency trading, is spurring industry participants to change their approach to a business that has revolutionised stock markets.

The release of Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt on Monday comes after years of public debate over the lightning fast trading systems which have grown to dominate a fractured terrain where multiple exchanges and bank-run trading platforms compete for orders.

In the two weeks before publication of Mr Lewis’s book, Goldman Sachs has suddenly thrown its weight behind market reform after years of investment in HFT and taken the highly unusual step of telling staff to publicise its support for a competing trading platform.

Some market executives have even discussed with Virtu Financial, an HFT outfit preparing the first initial public offering of a global proprietary trading firm, postponing its share sale amid heightened scrutiny of its core business. Virtu declined to comment, but its roadshow is expected to kick off next week.

Regulators are also showing renewed interest. New York attorney-general Eric Schneiderman last week revived long-running and vociferous arguments against HFT by targeting the relationship between stock exchanges and trading firms in the latest part of an investigation into what he calls “Insider Trading 2.0”.

Mr Lewis has built a reputation as a skilled storyteller, able to tease villains and heroes from the most esoteric financial topics. In Flash Boys, he zeroes in on Sergey Aleynikov, a former Goldman programmer, and the men behind IEX, an upstart trading hub that uses “speed bumps” to level the playing field.

Over the last two decades, HFT firms have employed fibreoptics, microwaves and drones to shave microseconds off the time it takes to execute a trade. The technology race has raised questions about market fairness and the costs of keeping up, and has been criticised for its role in the May 2010 “flash crash”.

“Financial markets have changed too rapidly for our mental picture of them to remain true to life,” Mr Lewis writes, according to an excerpt briefly distributed on the publisher’s website.

HFT garnered widespread attention in the summer of 2009 following the arrest of Mr Aleynikov, who was accused of stealing Goldman’s proprietary code and imprisoned before being acquitted.

In recent months, Goldman has become the biggest broker on IEX. Gary Cohn, the bank’s chief operating officer, publicly voiced its support for market reform in a Wall Street Journal opinion piece last week, which coincided with a memo urging staff to publicise Goldman’s backing of the competing platform.

“We believe that it would be best for the overall market if IEX achieved critical mass, even if that results in reduced volumes in our US dark pool, Sigma X,” the bank told staff.

William Cohan, who has written three books on Wall Street and is due to publish a fourth volume next month, said: “Maybe the wiser strategy was to get out ahead of [the Michael Lewis book].”

When asked if he could recall a time when Goldman had encouraged employees to promote its activities, let alone a rival, Mr Cohan said: “Are you kidding? Never.”

Goldman began talks with IEX in the second half of last year amid internal angst about declining HFT profitability and a loss of equities trading market share to Morgan Stanley, according to people familiar with the matter. Goldman declined to comment.

Instead of pouring further resources into keeping up with the need for speed, Goldman decided to diversify and teamed with IEX.

Brad Katsuyama, an IEX co-founder, told the FT he had been meeting banks, including Goldman, since last summer. “Banks are just large, complicated organisations ... I’d be guessing if I had to tell you what’s happening at each individual one,” he said.

Goldman’s new public position has perplexed some rival bankers, in part because it is the lead adviser to Virtu’s IPO. IEX noted that Virtu also trades on its platform.

Meanwhile, critics of modern market structure are taking encouragement from the highly-public moment for an otherwise secretive business.

“This book coming out is the final nail in the coffin in proving high-frequency trading is an issue,” said Eric Hunsader, founder of market research firm Nanex. “Goldman wants to be part of the changing process but you can’t look like one of the winners so you must look like one of the victims. That’s pretty much what Goldman is doing. I was shocked.”
Youre going to see increased regulation of algotrading in the coming years. It's here to stay but it wont be as dominant as it has become in recent years. People at these desks don't really like this either as there just aren't as many trading jobs as there used to be. I just don't think there will be much as much resistance to these regulations as there would be in other business units.

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel
I'm watching CERE right now.

This shyt shows you the dangers of an IPO. Opened at $14.80 two years ago and closed at $0.83 today.

:mjlol:

I'm waiting for a bottom to make sure the bottom isn't bankruptcy and will likely buy a couple thousand shares. I wish this bytch had options.

Artal SA and Warburg Pincus have pretty big interests in the company and even though CERE just had a secondary offering at a $1 a share, Artal was actually buying more shares instead of dumping.

They have an interesting business of the future, but not right now, and it seems like investors have been impatient. The company was overvalued at IPO. Burning cash due to heavy R&D. Dependent on government contracts for revenue until product breakthroughs that lead to commercialization. Seriously affected by uncontrollable variables like weather.

Could be a long-term diamond in the rough, although they need to start generating some cash or will end up with more dilution, assuming anybody would even buy into another offering.

I've been following CERE since around $2. The Brazilian climate has sucked the past few years so this company has plummeted. Last I heard, this year was no different so CERE isn't moving up anytime soon.

无名的

Superstar
Daps
I've been following CERE since around $2. The Brazilian climate has sucked the past few years so this company has plummeted. Last I heard, this year was no different so CERE isn't moving up anytime soon.

The prospectus on the secondary offering said they anticipate two more grow seasons, including the current one, to demonstrate the yield range they'd like, so there probably won't be any fundamental reason to buy before they prove something. At such a low price though, I'm sure there will be some short-term catalyst like earnings where they're losing less money than anticipated that will push up the price and watch it trade relatively sideways until they succeed or totally fail after the time they've requested to prove themselves. I'm probably talking out of my ass, but I felt like I calculated the book value at something like $0.55, so I'll probably pull the trigger soon. Can't see it going much lower than that unless they're en route to bankruptcy. This is definitely one you'll need to hold long term. Monsanto was cheap 14 years ago.

:yeshrug:

I don't completely base decisions on any one factor, but I'm definitely intrigued by Artal SA purchasing 4 million more shares @ $1 a piece on the latest offering. There must be some reason for appearing bullish on a stock with such horrendous performance.