Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
I'm just getting into stocks for about 5-6 weeks now.

I'm so unknowledgeable on all the lingo and how this works.:francis:

I have the Cash app and Robinhood to invest with and primarily want to stay on the lower end. Not trying to buy stock in Facebook or anything already super expensive bc that's not gonna do much for me.

Would've been nice to get on the Kodak stock a few days ago, but how do you know

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I cant pm you, but what exactly is a "swing" stock?

A swing trade is when you find a stock that's trading in a pattern... say something like Lyft which for a while was trading between $27 and $32. Try to buy shares at the low end of the pattern and ride it back up to the high end. Sell out.. and then do it all over again.

Moderna is one of the vaccine stocks. Every time there's a news catalyst the stock price soars but then tends to sell off in the following days.. it'll sell off anywhere between 8-10% sometimes more.. You can buy back in at that price and then wait for the next catalyst.

However, pharma companies are more risky plays.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
A swing trade is when you find a stock that's trading in a pattern... say something like Lyft which for a while was trading between $27 and $32. Try to buy shares at the low end of the pattern and ride it back up to the high end. Sell out.. and then do it all over again.

Moderna is one of the vaccine stocks. Every time there's a news catalyst the stock price soars but then tends to sell off in the following days.. it'll sell off anywhere between 8-10% sometimes more.. You can buy back in at that price and then wait for the next catalyst.

However, pharma companies are more risky plays.
I know we all vary, but if a stock is say $30 how many shares are you buying to make it worth the risk?

I know it can depend on if you want to keep it long term, etc, but just in general what are some good rule of thumbs?

I think I'm going to play on the shallow end for now until I learn more. So cheaper/penny stocks for me

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Y'all are so far ahead of me. :francis:

Just reading the past 3-4 pages of the thread, it's discouraging.

Don't give up breh. It's never too late. For some reason I thought you were younger. You making a wise choice here that will pay off in the long run. You guys have your long term holds like for when you retire or are older, and then can had those swing or short term plays that are just to stack up towards the bigger long term ones. Stay focused and you'll learn a lot.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
I know we all vary, but if a stock is say $30 how many shares are you buying to make it worth the risk?

I know it can depend on if you want to keep it long term, etc, but just in general what are some good rule of thumbs?

I think I'm going to play on the shallow end for now until I learn more. So cheaper/penny stocks for me
That M1 account someone mentioned is the way to go. Let's you buy a pie with fractional shares. Throw a few thousand in it and split it amongst all the major stocks. I got mine with tesla, Google, Apple, Amazon , etc. Like I got 25% in tesla which is high but then a bunch of other stocks. You dedicate a portion to each one. Even tho it's not a share, the money goes up the same based on how you split your pie. In a month I'm up 8% and Ally Bank where I had my savings was giving me 1% for the year. Makes no sense not to invest. Stocks, especially the major ones, grow over time. Just look at Netflix and Facebook and all them the past five years. This a patient long term game. Keep adding money to your account as you can and the interest will compound and grow. And diversify your stocks so you have a variety of decent plays. Plus don't stress yourself with fomo aka fear of missing out. Plenty of stocks the guys have mentioned in here like Kodak that I was unable to get into due to lack of funds but that's how the game be sometimes. You not gonna be able to hit on every stock or get maximum profit everytine. Bankroll management and controlled emotions are key. Know how much you can afford to invest and don't go too crazy especially if you have other commitments or debts. We got like 30 years before we hit our mid 60s so take risks now while you can but be smart with your money.