Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
I’m clearly not a financial advisor, nor even the most versed investor here, but wtf you be doing man? You’re too young to be sitting out high growth stocks for all these “value” picks (not referring to RTX as I think that will definitely grow over the next few years)
Nothing wrong with building a strong portfolio of value stocks and dividend kings

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I know we all vary, but if a stock is say $30 how many shares are you buying to make it worth the risk?

I know it can depend on if you want to keep it long term, etc, but just in general what are some good rule of thumbs?

I think I'm going to play on the shallow end for now until I learn more. So cheaper/penny stocks for me

If you are new to stocks I would stay away from penny stocks, there's too much volatility. It can work out well for some but others are left holding the bag.

I'd recommend you setup an M1 Finance account if you just want to sit back and watch your money grow albeit maybe at a slower rate... we are always talking about M1 in here. It's fractional shares setup like your own ETF.

But to your original question, there's no real rule of thumb. They say not to risk more than 2% of your capital on a single trade but that's very conservative either that or you are in the six figure club.

You have to diversify whether you are setting up an investing account or picking stocks to trade... if you are trading too many stocks in the same sector you'll get hit hard all at once if that sector is faltering.

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
I know we all vary, but if a stock is say $30 how many shares are you buying to make it worth the risk?

I know it can depend on if you want to keep it long term, etc, but just in general what are some good rule of thumbs?

I think I'm going to play on the shallow end for now until I learn more. So cheaper/penny stocks for me

i would suggest starting an M1 and starting with a pie of blue chips growth stocks to learn with

something like this With M1 Finance, you can automatically invest in what you want for free. Check out the portfolio I built and start investing today: M1 Finance - Free Automated Investing

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
If you are new to stocks I would stay away from penny stocks, there's too much volatility. It can work out well for some but others are left holding the bag.

I'd recommend you setup an M1 Finance account if you just want to sit back and watch your money grow albeit maybe at a slower rate... we are always talking about M1 in here. It's fractional shares setup like your own ETF.

But to your original question, there's no real rule of thumb. They say not to risk more than 2% of your capital on a single trade but that's very conservative either that or you are in the six figure club.

You have to diversify whether you are setting up an investing account or picking stocks to trade... if you are trading too many stocks in the same sector you'll get hit hard all at once if that sector is faltering.

i would suggest starting an M1 and starting with a pie of blue chips growth stocks to learn with

something like this With M1 Finance, you can automatically invest in what you want for free. Check out the portfolio I built and start investing today: M1 Finance - Free Automated Investing

M1 it is. I have CashApp at the advice of some friends for investing....BUT I'm quickly seeing that CashApp doesnt have all the stocks available to buy. For ex., I couldnt even find Kodak on CashApp.

I have RobinHood which does seem to have almost every stock I come across. But I will to dl the M1 app as well. I appreciate y'all.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
@jadillac If you choose to setup an M1 account you'll see that you are given a pie to choose your stocks/ETFs. You search out the stocks you want to invest in and then place them in your pie. You allocate a percentage of your funds to that stock.

So say you want to invest in Apple, Microsoft, Google and Tesla. You could put Apple at 30%, Microsoft at 15%, Google at 30% and Tesla at 25%.

That means that if you were to invest $100 into the account then $30 goes towards Apple and so on..

My M1 portfolios are built with big name tech stocks and then also growth stocks. Growth stocks are what it means.. they are hot stocks that analysts and people like us feel have a lot of growth left.. could 2x or 3x their value etc..

Something like Microsoft is a safer stock that just grows over time but never will really decline much. Though they can have years where they will be up 40%

morris

Superstar
Daps
I've missed out n ALL the BIG runners so far this year; which others have I missed and more importantly, which is next (can't be mad; made more than 100% with ACHV today)

1. MVIS
2. GNUS
3. UONE
4. KODK
5. ????

princeofhaiti

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DMV

tips that helped me were tracking stocks i was interested in my notes app- i wouldnt purchase the stock initially but at least i can get a idea of the stock price
theres so many different strategies and thats the beauty of investing, when i first started on robinhood i was buying the cheapest thing i could find. Now i have a good portfolio in robinhood, m1 finance, and fidelity. I would focus on blue chip stocks/low cost index funds (SPY & VOO) and try not to sell out of positions too often, case in point i traded peloton at least 10 times in march back when it was $30 share-now its hitting all time highs of $60:noah:

Rickdogg44

RIP Charmander RIP Kobe
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Yahoo is now a part of Verizon Media

'So far, so good' on leading COVID vaccine, says AstraZeneca

AZN still really isn't moving :dead:

By Pushkala Aripaka and Ludwig Burger

(Reuters) - Britain's AstraZeneca <AZN.L> said on Thursday that good data was coming in so far on its vaccine for COVID-19, already in large-scale human trials and widely seen as the front-runner in the race for a shot against the novel coronavirus.

The drugmaker, Britain's most valuable listed company, also announced second quarter results that beat its sales and profit estimates, thanks to strong sales from a diverse product line-up.

"The vaccine development is progressing well. We have had good data so far. We need to show the efficacy in the clinical programme, but so far, so good," Chief Executive Pascal Soriot said on a media call.

who_better_than_me

Time to go!!
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Go look at indicators and technical analysis on to one before jumping in. It’s a lot to it than jsut putting money down.
Like discipline.

so if you swing trading you’re looking for 10-20 percent ROI.
You need to learn about risk management. Whenever you hop in a trade do a stop loss minimize loss.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I’m clearly not a financial advisor, nor even the most versed investor here, but wtf you be doing man? You’re too young to be sitting out high growth stocks for all these “value” picks (not referring to RTX as I think that will definitely grow over the next few years)
My strategy is when I retire I want a monthly income off my stock portfolio that has grown consistently over 20+ years. Between that, my 401K and Social Security if it still exist I should be good. I'm not really into capital appreciation as much I'm more into dividend growth.

I hold stuff like Facebook and Uber that doesn't generate dividends but those are limited. It's not that I'm unwilling to buy non-dividend blue chip stocks I just heavily favor buying those.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
I got to get into the right psychology for this trading shyt. I get more upset at money missed than money lossed. I think the reason that is is because if feels like you have no one to blame but yourself when you leave money on the table but if you lose money you can convince yourself to just blame it on the market.
Stop caring :yeshrug:
Remember there’s new opportunities everyday.
Also don’t focus in on what others are doing. Pocket watching may have you feeling some type of way.