Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel
Carl Icahn ‏@Carl_C_Icahn28m
Just sent a letter to Tim Cook. Full letter will be disclosed on my website, the Shareholders’ Square Table, which will be launched tomorrow

Not sure how to embed Twitter into this but thats from his Twitter account today.

Hmmmm. Should be an interesting day in Apple tomorrow. I'd bet Carl keeps asking for a buyback. Possibly an even larger one than Apple had wanted. I think it will be a nice pop but will subside. Tim Cook has the money and power to not give in to Carl. Apple is a very stubborn company when it comes to Wall Street. Should be interesting how this unfolds.

Bernie Madoff

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Otisville, Federal Correctional Institution
Anybody read this before?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0060086513

In 1994 Cramer hired Nicholas Maier as a favor to Marty Peretz, who was close with the Maier family. Maier worked for Cramer until 1998, then left and wrote a tell-all book about his years with Cramer: Trading with the Enemy: Seduction and Betrayal on Jim Cramer’s Wall Street (New York: HarperCollins, 2002) It contained detailed description of Cramer’s manic and abusive style. For example, Maier recounted the following scene after a trader at Cramer’s firm, Mark Kantor, executed a buy order at a price one-quarter point higher than what Cramer had expected, a total difference of $625:

“‘The broker fukked us, big time!’

“‘The eighth offering was fading when we called,’ Mark explained.

“Jim bit down on his lower lip as his hands clench into fists. He leaned forward to get closer to Mark, and started banging on the top of his monitors. The crown of his balding skull reddened as he yelled at the top of his lungs in a high-pitched whine.

“‘I told you they fukked us! fukked us, fukked us, fukkedus!’

“‘Listen to me.’ With piercing eyes Jim scanned our sober faces. ‘This is not some fukking joke!’ he screamed, spit flying from his mouth. ‘We are at war. We are in a foxhole.’ He flung out his hands. ‘Everyone out there is the enemy!’

“Mark nodded to show Jim that he understood. That wasn’t what Jim wanted. He started smashing his phone over and over on the desk in front of him. He lifted a monitor and heaved it like a shot put. After flying several feet, it shattered on the floor.” (Trading with the Enemy, page 29).

Maier also described Cramer’s questionable trading ethics. One passage noted a brush with naked short selling:

Jim turns toward his head trader. “Mark, sell ten thousand Bristol Myers.”

“We never bought any Bristol Myers,” Mark replies.

“We own the calls,” Jim corrects Mark impatiently, aggravated by the delay.

“So sell it short?” Mark asks for clarification. Mark knows that according to the SEC rule book, selling stock you don’t already own (even if you do own the call options) must be marked and executed as a short sale.

“You are confusing me with someone who gives a shyt. Just sell it! I said hit the fukking bid!” :Laugh: adds Jim, not interested in wasting time over petty semantics. Skirting the “plus tick” rule in this case won’t necessarily make us a lot of extra money, but in Jim’s eyes, the rule is still an unenforceable annoyance. “And don’t ever ask me that again!” (Trading With the Enemy, pages 70-71).

Please put a pin in this expression of Jim Cramer’s concern for this somewhat obscure “plus tick” rule. I will return to it later.

Maier also describes Jim’s cozy yet perilous relationship with analysts at brokerage firms. When one unlucky analyst forgot to call Jim before he downgraded a stock, Jim screamed into the phone:

“All I pay you too much fukking money for is … to pick upthe goddamn phone and call me—call me—before you call anyone else.” (Trading With the Enemy, page 86).

In Maier’s artful summary:

“Jim didn’t care whether an analyst was ultimately right in his or her opinion. He just wanted to take advantage of the closest thing to a sure bet in the stock market today: the short-term effect any commentary might have.” (Trading With the Enemy, page 86).

Bernie Madoff

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Otisville, Federal Correctional Institution
Icahn talking proxy fight if they don't do the 150b buyback. On cnbc right now

Basically said the board doesn't know economics. Said if the buyback doesn't go through for the 150b he wants, that he will gauge the shareholders feelings about trying to get a couple of seats on the board of directors.

Last edited:

CJ

Your objective semi-troll
Daps
Reppin
6ix
you ever heard of nuance communications? Icahn is their biggest shareholder. P/E is ridiculous though.

We use Nuance here at our Firm. Two subdivisions they own/run (Equitrac and Copitrak) provide cost recovery hardware/software for our Printers and Phones. We switched from Equitrac to Copitrak recently, but both are under the Nuance banner as they bought Copitrak earlier this year. Don't know how they do from a stock standpoint, but wanted to answer as I deal with them on a daily basis. Kinda curious now.

aliG

Pro
Daps
Apple is a very stubborn company and IMO will fight him on this. Bill Gross (PIMCO big shot) stated Icahn should stfu. This is most likely going to get bloody.

I remember Gross from my intern days at MS. He is a Bonds bigshot.