Bobby Kotick agrees with Jim Ryan, Gamepass is value-destructive

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
Yea there’s good content out there, but you have to wade through 50% more shyt to find it.
Ok? Like I said that's subjective. We're receiving more content than ever how is that a bad thing? For example, hbo 2017 was spending 2 billion a year on content....now? 18 billion a year because theirs a content race unlike before..competition is a great thing.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Ok? Like I said that's subjective. We're receiving more content than ever how is that a bad thing? For example, hbo 2017 was spending 2 billion a year on content....now? 18 billion a year because theirs a content race unlike before..competition is a great thing.
Not all content is good content. Rushed content to fill quotas isn't all it's cracked up to be either.

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
Not all content is good content. Rushed content to fill quotas isn't all it's cracked up to be either.
:dead: did rushed content not exist during the old status quo? Some of you think companies don't care about their reputation. How do you build or maintain a subscriber based with rushed trash content? US as consumers have more content and more ways to consume then ever before. A service is trash? Don't subscribe very simple

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yall dude in here acting like yall was watching nothing but high quality tv shows on cable TV in 2010 :mjlol:

The quality shows you enjoyed so much on cable tv where basically streaming services of the time, you had to pay a extra 19-30 bucks a month just to watch GOT, the walking dead, The wire, Sopranos etc...

Streaming has nothing to do with TV shows being whack, most the TV shows are whack because they all chasing metrics. The same reason most AAA games are whack now.

Games being on a streaming service, or supported by it if anything eases that burden of having to make a buck. As well as easing the burden of a game not getting sequel or finishing like the actual good shows that get cancel season 2 on a cliffhanger, because it didn't get the crazy number that A stranger things did or Squid games.

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
Yall dude in here acting like yall was watching nothing but high quality tv shows on cable TV in 2010 :mjlol:

The quality shows you enjoyed so much on cable tv where basically streaming services of the time, you had to pay a extra 19-30 bucks a month just to watch GOT, the walking dead, The wire, Sopranos etc...

Streaming has nothing to do with TV shows being whack, most the TV shows are whack because they all chasing metrics. The same reason most AAA games are whack now.

Games being on a streaming service, or supported by it if anything eases that burden of having to make a buck. As well as easing the burden of a game not getting sequel or finishing like the actual good shows that get cancel season 2 on a cliffhanger, because it didn't get the crazy number that A stranger things did or Squid games.
I would argue that the quality of free tv was leaps and bounds better than before streaming hit. It's obviously not an apples to apples comparison of tv vs. Gaming, but there are alot of similarities

MarcP

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Fail and that they will eventually scale it back when the cost of goods outweigh what they are making in returns, or they will hike hte price up to ungodly levels like other subscription services that have hit their ceilings
TLOU2 cost what? 220M for 70 months of development. That's 3.14M a month. 180k a year salary average. GamePass bringing in around 400M a month with 30M subs. That's 133 Naughty Dog size and salaried teams worth of revenue coming in. If they close the ABK deal, their studio head count will be around 21k. That's a 3.78B payroll expense if every last one of those 21k was making 180k. 400M a month from gamepass would mean the service could pay for all 21k employees with a billion leftover to help cover the taxes.

Game subscriptions are not like movie/tv subscriptions. Xbox isn't forgoing syndication dollars to build the subscription. The syndication money is already built in (DLC, physical/digital sales).

Thats why all these major AAA games have 100 dollar week long early access periods now. They are trying to make up for losing all that money making games like Starfield exclusive and putting it on gamepass. Eventually the levee of gamepass is gonna break as this continues

It's capitalism, nikkas is gonna get some extra bread from somewhere somehow. Just because these companies want more money, it doesn't mean they're struggling.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
TLOU2 cost what? 220M for 70 months of development. That's 3.14M a month. 180k a year salary average. GamePass bringing in around 400M a month with 30M subs. That's 133 Naughty Dog size and salaried teams worth of revenue coming in. If they close the ABK deal, their studio head count will be around 21k. That's a 3.78B payroll expense if every last one of those 21k was making 180k. 400M a month from gamepass would mean the service could pay for all 21k employees with a billion leftover to help cover the taxes.

Game subscriptions are not like movie/tv subscriptions. Xbox isn't forgoing syndication dollars to build the subscription. The syndication money is already built in (DLC, physical/digital sales).

You say all that forgetting that microsoft isn’t the only company generating money from a subscription service. Sony makes more money from their PS Plus than Microsoft does, they also provide high quality, big budget games to play also.

Microsoft need to work on the latter, and they’ll soon find out putting games like Starfield and Elder Scrolls on a service day one isn’t viable.

MarcP

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You say all that forgetting that microsoft isn’t the only company generating money from a subscription service. Sony makes more money from their PS Plus than Microsoft does, they also provide high quality, big budget games to play also.

Microsoft need to work on the latter, and they’ll soon find out putting games like Starfield and Elder Scrolls on a service day one isn’t viable.
Why isn't it viable? Skyrim sold 60M units over the course of 12 years. That's low 3B if not sub-3 billion in revenue when you take into account all the sales and discounts over the years. Game Pass could stagnate for the next 12 years and bring in 57.6B. That's 19 Skyrims my guy.:whew:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Look, none of the "GOATPASS BABY!" guys will ever see nor truly care about the arguments made towards Gamepass being "value destructive" no matter how many facts you can corroborate it with.

All they see is "I only paid $ for X years! I"m set! :banderas: LoL!." They don't care, they just want more games and every game if possible on a service where they feel like they "only" paid a small amount of money for in comparison to games they imagine they'd be buying year-round.

It's a pointless argument really. Gamepass could literally not have a single AAA game on there in 2 years with a few good to great indie games to hold people over and they'd be like "I would've paid $30 for The Gunk alone! I saved so much money!"
It's why I refrain from even arguing with that lot, it's like trying to argue with a bytch who's making hundreds of thousands on Onlyfans that her "profession" is value destructive to herself in the long run. All she sees is the $$.

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Look, none of the "GOATPASS BABY!" guys will ever see nor truly care about the arguments made towards Gamepass being "value destructive" no matter how many facts you can corroborate it with.

All they see is "I only paid $ for X years! I"m set! :banderas: LoL!." They don't care, they just want more games and every game if possible on a service where they feel like they "only" paid a small amount of money for in comparison to games they imagine they'd be buying year-round.

It's a pointless argument really. Gamepass could literally not have a single AAA game on there in 2 years with a few good to great indie games to hold people over and they'd be like "I would've paid $30 for The Gunk alone! I saved so much money!"
It's why I refrain from even arguing with that lot, it's like trying to argue with a bytch who's making hundreds of thousands on Onlyfans that her "profession" is value destructive to herself in the long run. All she sees is the $$.
A corporation viewing a thing as “value destructive” means the thing has become more valuable to consumers.

Y’all so busy idolizing your game box and boot licking sonys profits. A millionaire ceo can get up and say yeah were not doing that thing cause it gives too much value to our customers, and y’all applaud the shyt.

The fact that yall think it’s a “diss” to accuse other people of wanting more bang for their buck is wild to me.

Sony stans corporate dikk suckers confirmed :dame: