Bobby Kotick agrees with Jim Ryan, Gamepass is value-destructive

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A corporation viewing a thing as “value destructive” means the thing has become more valuable to consumers.

Y’all so busy idolizing your game box and boot licking sonys profits. A millionaire ceo can get up and say yeah were not doing that thing cause it gives too much value to our customers, and y’all applaud the shyt.

The fact that yall think it’s a “diss” to accuse other people of wanting more bang for their buck is wild to me.

Sony stans corporate dikk suckers confirmed :dame:
All they see is "I only paid $ for X years! I"m set! :banderas: LoL!." They don't care, they just want more games and every game if possible on a service where they feel like they "only" paid a small amount of money for in comparison to games they imagine they'd be buying year-round.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Look, none of the "GOATPASS BABY!" guys will ever see nor truly care about the arguments made towards Gamepass being "value destructive" no matter how many facts you can corroborate it with.

All they see is "I only paid $ for X years! I"m set! :banderas: LoL!." They don't care, they just want more games and every game if possible on a service where they feel like they "only" paid a small amount of money for in comparison to games they imagine they'd be buying year-round.

It's a pointless argument really. Gamepass could literally not have a single AAA game on there in 2 years with a few good to great indie games to hold people over and they'd be like "I would've paid $30 for The Gunk alone! I saved so much money!"
It's why I refrain from even arguing with that lot, it's like trying to argue with a bytch who's making hundreds of thousands on Onlyfans that her "profession" is value destructive to herself in the long run. All she sees is the $$.
Value destructive?

No

Value for who? Publishers?

I don't think the quality of Triple A games goes down because they are available on a sub service. In fact I think we start to see the opposite in the long run, Most creators want to create to the best of their abilities, the reason they usually have to cut corners to make something work is budget reasons.

You think they would have wrapped up GOW like they did, knowing that the series really needed another whole game to really flesh things out if it wasn't for budget cost primarily? They were scared that by the time GOW 3 dropped the return on investment wouldn't be there and people would or could have moved on or grown tired of the story/characters. So they wrapped it up in with Rag.

That wouldn't be a problem under something like gamepass, quality, is all up to the studio.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This is very interesting.

Is it really interesting?

The people entrenched in the status quo are never going to applaud a disruptive service to that business model.

Why would he applaud another company’s walled garden that doesn’t benefit his?

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I would argue that the quality of free tv was leaps and bounds better than before streaming hit. It's obviously not an apples to apples comparison of tv vs. Gaming, but there are alot of similarities
free TV? cable cost money. paying $200 a month for MASH reruns and shyt

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
Yes because that correlates with the rise in content in general, we're getting more content which includes movies show games music etc. We're literally getting more content than ever only an idiot would argue otherwise. The investments in entertainment is higher than its ever been. "Good shows"
are subjective opinion, we are getting more diverse content than ever.

This isn’t true. Some of you have some crazy nostalgia glasses on, we're getting more content than ever before more shows more reality tv series more documentaries etc.

For example HBO investments in shows is higher than its ever been. That’s just a fact
There’s a reason why writers are striking right now. There’s a reason why Scarlett Johansson had an issue with Disney and her pay for Black Widow. There’s a reason why Tom Cruise said Top Gun Maverick would only be released in theaters first and have a long run. There’s a reason why all these streaming services are looking at ways to monetize. Which includes licensing out content, which WBD is going to do with DC properties. All of this is in line with what piece of shyt Kotick said.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
There’s a reason why writers are striking right now. There’s a reason why Scarlett Johansson had an issue with Disney and her pay for Black Widow. There’s a reason why Tom Cruise said Top Gun Maverick would only be released in theaters first and have a long run. There’s a reason why all these streaming services are looking at ways to monetize. Which includes licensing out content, which WBD is going to do with DC properties. All of this is in line with what piece of shyt Kotick said.

Yep. Also, like we’ve been discussing in the film room, conditioning your audience to only consume media through subscription makes it almost impossible to re-train them to buy things at full price afterward.

Subs will work good for lower budget stuff, but what about when publishers NOT on a sub has to sell full priced games? You can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube once its out

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Pretty sure mobile gaming with a mostly free to play model makes more than console gaming with a premium purchase model. There are opportunities for different models to work. Game companies make more from selling DLC and additional purchases than they do the game.

Gaming is a different animal than a film or TV show that is designed to be consumed instead of interacted with over a longer period.

People here don’t like Game Pass because it threatens the status quo. The reality is the status quo is unsustainable. As AAA gaming cost continue to explode a flop has devastating consequences. Less risk will be taken and games will become more homogeneous.

Soon AAA gaming will be all sequels, remakes, and games with live service elements.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
How do publishers .ake money per sale if games goes straight to game trash. Like in this perfect world where Sony no longers exists how do they become GTA big if they're on game trash with no physical.

Basically a desperate plot to raise stock prices

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
So they will continue being what they’ve always been
AAA gaming hasn’t always been that. Rocksteady went from making Arkham to Suicide Squad. Everything can’t be a live service because they’ll start to cannibalize themselves. Consumers are starting to reject some of these live service games.