Boardwalk Empire Season 5 Thread

Mission249

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Shows like Boardwalk Empire and Breaking Bad are/were structured as slow burns with season long story arcs. We all know that now. Yet every.damn.season, on the first few episodes people start crying about not enough action and shyt happening. If that's you then just go watch WWE or something.

Shows like this are probably just better off with the Netflix model of releasing the whole season at once.

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
Episode was ok :ld: cacs got bodied so it was at least decent....can someone explain to me who the fuk this kid was tho :dahell: I'm literally looking at my tv screen like :dwillhuh: cuz idk why the fuk this kid has a main story arc

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly, Margaret's character is more interesting than the chick Nucky's with

Daps
It's looking like my fears are coming to fruition :snoop:

I don't have a problem with this show being 5 seasons or with time jumps. The problem is that it's clear that they never planned for this show to end so quickly, so now it's rushed and sloppy.

The Lucky/Masseria storyline is being displayed HORRIBLY. If you don't know the history, there's no way you can appreciate what's going on there. It's so sad that they did such a great job casting all the real gangsters yet they're going flat in showing them in their prime. One of the main gripes with the show from the beginning was that they chose to focus on a semi-fictional character in Nucky as opposed to the most notorious gangsters in our history. And thru four seasons, they actually made this work... balancing the constraints of history with the art of storytelling.

But how can you focus on Nucky and NOT show the Atlantic City Conference? In fact did the Atlantic City Conference even happen in this BE world? :mindblown:

Nucky is surprised to learn Meyer is married (and they haven't seen each other since AR's funeral in 1928), but according to history, Nucky arranged the AC conference in 1929 under the guise of a honeymoon for Meyer. A very important meeting that would have boosted up Nucky's stature. It's hard to believe that they wrote this story and always planned on skipping it.

If the AC conference didn't happen, it opens the door for Nuck to die at the end of this season as opposed to sticking to what happens to the real life Nucky Johnson. They may be going full fiction with Nuck's character now. :ohhh:

This series would've benefited from an AMC-esque split series finale. 6 episodes this fall, 6 episodes in late winter leading into Game of Thrones. Could've started right before AR's death, shown the AC conference and the St. Valentine's Day Massacre and the Joe Masseria/Maranzano beef (Castellammarese War) in the first 6, then started in 1931 in the last 6 to close it out.

How they set all this up in the first 4 seasons then just skip those events I named in between 1928 and 1931 is just terrible, imo

Last edited:

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
Episode was ok :ld: cacs got bodied so it was at least decent....can someone explain to me who the fuk this kid was tho :dahell: I'm literally looking at my tv screen like :dwillhuh: cuz idk why the fuk this kid has a main story arc

It was flashbacks of a young Nucky and how he first met the Commodore

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
:dahell: Nucky bruh
It was flashbacks of a young Nucky and how he first met the Commodore
aww man i must've really not been paying attention cuz i didnt remember them saying his name or even showing the year being different :pachaha:....prolly shouldnt be watching shyt at 4 in the morning

Reality Check

Keepin' it 100
Daps
If they do some sort of spinoff, it needs to revolve around Lansky building up Cuba. There's a book I read a while back called "Havana Nocturne" (link is below) which talks about the Mob's rise to power in Cuba, how they worked closely with the government, and the eventual clashing with Fidel Castro.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
If they do some sort of spinoff, it needs to revolve around Lansky building up Cuba. There's a book I read a while back called "Havana Nocturne" (link is below) which talks about the Mob's rise to power in Cuba, how they worked closely with the government, and the eventual clashing with Fidel Castro.

Link's missing, breh.

Edit - Wait, I see it after quoting you. They need to fix the Amazon item plugin :beli: