Boardwalk Empire Season 5 Thread

L68

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
fukk michael pitt and hbo...if he was a professional this show coulda been the goat

cant blame the writers for writing him out..just wish they knew how he was before casting so they coulda cast someone else as jimmy

ending was decent for the 8 episodes they were given..but still... so many what ifs with this show:sadbron:

Modsbanme

Banned
Daps
I will stand with this saying the season was rushed and the ending retarded. People saying Nucky pimped a kid is awful and that he deserved it . True to a point in 1897 the age of consent was 13 so yeah the Commodore was a sick man but in 1897 women had no real rights yet. Tommy ended his young life at almost the same time as Gillian, he going to jail for or most likely the gas chamber and if the worse happens he ends up declared insane and meets Dr Cotton who will remove his teeth and colon to cure him. I would have ended it with Tommy shooting Nuck but him living and Tommy getting taken way to prison repeat the cycle and Nucky getting out the hospital to get picked up by the Feds for tax evasion and jailed for 10 years. That would be fitting all he worked for , pushed for gone and him using his remaining years to help others who been hurt to fix his pass sins but always being haunted by Gillian and those events .

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
The two worst things that ever happened to this show: 1. They announced this would be the last season, only eight episodes and there would be a time jump. That gave internet nikkas months to practice their "It's rushed:damn:" posts ad nauseam. There's nothing internet cats are better at then running with a narrative. 2. As much as it was great initially, basing a lot of the show on historical characters handicapped their creativity. nikkas wanted this show to be Gangsters 101. Damn near every gangster of note within this time period has been brought up in this thread and their "exclusion" cited for what was wrong with this season. I think I recall a post at some point in this thread about "sticking to the source material":dead:That's why I loved this final season. God knows they'd have to film 10 more seasons to appease nikkas that wanted a documentary chronicling every obscure reference dudes wanted shown. They made a show called Boardwalk Empire and we saw the rise and fall of that empire. I'm good:manny: fukk the Valentine's Day Massacre, fukk a random gangster that I've only heard of because some rapper nicknamed himself that. I got five seasons of great acting, writing and a story that had a beginning, middle and end.

I'm interested to see what Winters does with this rock drama:lupe:

Dudes had long decided they werent going to like the season before it aired.

The complaints about prune face and dikk tracy not being in it are lame. Since the show started dudes been crying about it.

The show was about nucky. Always was. This season perfectly wrapped up HIS character arc.

Nucky was a great character. I loved the show and its in my top 5.

I think people just need time. This show will stand the test of time and be much more appreciated as time goes by

Had some of the finest acting and dialogue ever show on tv.
there is really no argument about if it was rushed... they cut from 10 to 8... that's 1:30-2:00 hours of footage and story we missed out on

and it wasn't the plan from the start to do this... they got told this, ASKED FOR MORE EPS, and got shut down

so even the writers were saying, hbo we need more time to tell this right.. they weren't given that, so what do you think happened?? two hours of story was written out or never added, that could have set the pacing up a little better

i won't say the last season was bad... it was just ok.. and from BE, i expect more than ok, cause the series has been so great

i put it like this... where would you rank this season compared to the others??

1 & 2 with jimmy, commodore and that war

3 with gyp

4 with the war with joe and the good doctor

5 with the wrap up of all of that

shyt i might put them in that order honestly but mine would be

43215... so it's still the worst season.. something hbo is known for.. rushing their last seasons... same thing that happened to the wire

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
there is really no argument about if it was rushed... they cut from 10 to 8... that's 1:30-2:00 hours of footage and story we missed out on

and it wasn't the plan from the start to do this... they got told this, ASKED FOR MORE EPS, and got shut down

so even the writers were saying, hbo we need more time to tell this right.. they weren't given that, so what do you think happened?? two hours of story was written out or never added, that could have set the pacing up a little better

i won't say the last season was bad... it was just ok.. and from BE, i expect more than ok, cause the series has been so great

i put it like this... where would you rank this season compared to the others??

1 & 2 with jimmy, commodore and that war

3 with gyp

4 with the war with joe and the good doctor

5 with the wrap up of all of that

shyt i might put them in that order honestly but mine would be

43215... so it's still the worst season.. something hbo is known for.. rushing their last seasons... same thing that happened to the wire
Do you have any proof of your claims the writers asked for more time and got shut down?

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Do you have any proof of your claims the writers asked for more time and got shut down?
wow i'm tripping for 1..

the usual season is 12 episodes!! so you think they willingly went to hbo and said "hey fukk this show, cut us out of our usual 4 extra hours of program time"

but the proof is in how they did it

sept they announce they are renewing the show.... no talk of last season... no talk of 8 eps

in jan they announce it'll be the last season.. no talk of 8 eps

it wasn't until july that they let the cat out the bag that you're only getting 8 eps... same thing they did to true blood and treme and the wire

they have a knack for saying "fukk it, you done"

now unless all 4 of these shows just all happened to want shortened last seasons... i'm pretty sure this was an hbo thing to say "why waste the money" they are notoriously cheap

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
wow i'm tripping for 1..

the usual season is 12 episodes!! so you think they willingly went to hbo and said "hey fukk this show, cut us out of our usual 4 extra hours of program time"

but the proof is in how they did it

sept they announce they are renewing the show.... no talk of last season... no talk of 8 eps

in jan they announce it'll be the last season.. no talk of 8 eps

it wasn't until july that they let the cat out the bag that you're only getting 8 eps... same thing they did to true blood and treme and the wire

they have a knack for saying "fukk it, you done"

now unless all 4 of these shows just all happened to want shortened last seasons... i'm pretty sure this was an hbo thing to say "why waste the money" they are notoriously cheap
:beli: so in other words you were talking out of your ass.

:mjlol: @ hbo being notoriously cheap. They regularly produce the shows with the biggest budgets.

It cost them 5 million+ per episode. HBO is far and away the biggest budget tv channel. They are the opposite of cheap. You think any other channel is funding shows like BE, true detective and game of thrones. All at the same time?

Terrence winter wanted to move on. They had already decided to end the show during season 4. And had already decided how they were ending it. Hes spoken on this in several interviews.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
:beli: so in other words you were talking out of your ass.

:mjlol: @ hbo being notoriously cheap. They regularly produce the shows with the biggest budgets.

It cost them 5 million+ per episode. HBO is far and away the biggest budget tv channel. They are the opposite of cheap. You think any other channel is funding shows like BE, true detective and game of thrones. All at the same time?

Terrence winter wanted to move on. They had already decided to end the show during season 4. And had already decided how they were ending it. Hes spoken on this in several interviews.
Series creator Terence Winter, in an interview, said the producers "told exactly the story we wanted to tell," moving at their own pace and speed. Indeed, despite the amount of plot developments jammed into the last season, Winter said he determined the number of episodes after hashing out the climactic arc with the writing staff.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...-the-powerful-finale.html#V2x5IZCQf4ukZHcj.99

So winter basically said fukk this show... not hbo... and it does seem him and writers sat down and had to "hash out" how long the last season would be... so i was half right... it's like asking someone when they'd like to lose their job.. of course the writers gonna want more time

hbo is cheap... how long do those shows usually last?? and what's the reason they suddenly end?? deadwood, the wire, etc... money.. i remember every year david simon saying he wrote like it'd be the last one, cause hbo would never promise them another season... despite it being the best show on tv and always rated in the top 3 by critics

they don't pay their actors well either... see the sopranos almost having to strike

see howard stern turning them down multiple times and always asking actors about how cheap they are... then said actors agreeing about the pay

yea they knew it was over and they'd wrap it up.... but i clearly said 8 episodes is 4 fukking hours and 20 million dollars less

which if you read between the lines, is an obvious cutting cost

on a side note.... EVERY single question we've had in here... Winter answers straight up... clears up every "b-b-b-b-but" type of question

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...nuckys-fate-and-the-series-finale/single-page

Tical

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
is there a source for this claim of 5 mil per episode? that would put it at 65 mil per season for the first 4. game of thrones is supposed to be 60 million for 10 episodes and everyone talks like that is far and away the most expensive drama currently/or ever.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
is there a source for this claim of 5 mil per episode? that would put it at 65 mil per season for the first 4. game of thrones is supposed to be 60 million for 10 episodes and everyone talks like that is far and away the most expensive drama currently/or ever.
5 million is the cost of the set for the boardwalk... trust me i just had to do a shytload of searching

the pilot actually cost them 18 million... i have no clue how much every ep was after that

trollol

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The breh Gyp tried to save the show but the damage was already done :mjcry:

Hypothetical question, the accepted theory is that due to Michael Pitt being super unprofessional the writers had to write Jimmy out thus effectively curtailing the potential this show had. Now if Jimmy had not been written out how long do you think the show would have lasted and how do you think events within that world would have played out?

jimmy vs nucky shouldve been season 4 or 5

needed a bigger buildup, setup, better execution, fallout... barely got any of it.. which was basically the shows 2 biggest characters going against each other

Black White Sox Hat

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If y'all ever want to hear the real story of alot of these characters i suggest you watch Ken Burn's Prohibition Documentary.Start with Episode 2.It's free right now if you have Amazon prime.It's amazing.Especially the Chicago parts.

Lefty Gunz

Superstar
Daps

Don't know how credible tho

http://whatculture.com/tv/10-expensive-tv-shows-time.php/11

10. E.R. – $2 Million Per Episode
9. The X Factor USA – $3.5 Million Per Episode
8. Lost – $4 Million Per Episode
7. Terra Nova – $4 Million Per Episode
6. Deadwood – $4.5 Million Per Episode
5. Boardwalk Empire – $5 Million Per Episode
4. Game Of Thrones – $6 Million Per Episode
3. Camelot – $7 Million Per Episode
2. Friends – $10 Million Per Episode During The Final Seasons
1. Rome – $9-10 Million Per Episode