Boardwalk Empire Season 5 Thread

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
The two worst things that ever happened to this show: 1. They announced this would be the last season, only eight episodes and there would be a time jump. That gave internet nikkas months to practice their "It's rushed:damn:" posts ad nauseam. There's nothing internet cats are better at then running with a narrative. 2. As much as it was great initially, basing a lot of the show on historical characters handicapped their creativity. nikkas wanted this show to be Gangsters 101. Damn near every gangster of note within this time period has been brought up in this thread and their "exclusion" cited for what was wrong with this season. I think I recall a post at some point in this thread about "sticking to the source material":dead:That's why I loved this final season. God knows they'd have to film 10 more seasons to appease nikkas that wanted a documentary chronicling every obscure reference dudes wanted shown. They made a show called Boardwalk Empire and we saw the rise and fall of that empire. I'm good:manny: fukk the Valentine's Day Massacre, fukk a random gangster that I've only heard of because some rapper nicknamed himself that. I got five seasons of great acting, writing and a story that had a beginning, middle and end.

I'm interested to see what Winters does with this rock drama:lupe:

Duke_Droese

All Star
Daps
I was pissed at the ending but now I've had some time to think:

It ended Nucky's character arc pefectly. All that shyt he did but he was forgotten on the boardwalk, no kids, no family, no power, no respect and his only legacy was how he pimped out Gillian. That line that the commodore said was ether to nucky.

I think the reason the kid didn't kill him when he was passed out was because his grandma gassed him up to take over AC. When he realised the Commodore/Nucky BE empire was over and there was no chance for his comeup, that is when he decided to kill him.

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
The two worst things that ever happened to this show: 1. They announced this would be the last season, only eight episodes and there would be a time jump. That gave internet nikkas months to practice their "It's rushed:damn:" posts ad nauseam. There's nothing internet cats are better at then running with a narrative. 2. As much as it was great initially, basing a lot of the show on historical characters handicapped their creativity. nikkas wanted this show to be Gangsters 101. Damn near every gangster of note within this time period has been brought up in this thread and their "exclusion" cited for what was wrong with this season. I think I recall a post at some point in this thread about "sticking to the source material":dead:That's why I loved this final season. God knows they'd have to film 10 more seasons to appease nikkas that wanted a documentary chronicling every obscure reference dudes wanted shown. They made a show called Boardwalk Empire and we saw the rise and fall of that empire. I'm good:manny: fukk the Valentine's Day Massacre, fukk a random gangster that I've only heard of because some rapper nicknamed himself that. I got five seasons of great acting, writing and a story that had a beginning, middle and end.

I'm just saying, they could've at least had Babyfark McGeezaks though :ld:

iBrowse

NAH
Supporter
Daps
He didn't even have to kill Nucky. He could have just killed someone else or did any other despicable life changing act (parallel it with Young Nuck pimping Gillian) and then revealed to Nucky he is Tommy Darmody. Nuck realizes his actions have ruined 3 generations of a family. Nuck realizes money doesn't fix everything. Nuck realizes he has no legacy. Nuck realizes he doesn't matter. Nuck realizes none of it meant anything. Fade to black.
I like this idea.

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Season 1-2 of BE will go down in history as one of the greatest TV shows ever
Season 3 had a memorable villain but basically was the beginning of the end with the extra plots
Season 4 was a brilliant comeback but still was basically damage control from Season 3
Season 5 was disappointing, young Nucky was great, characters were reintroduced and killed off too quickly. Tommy is like 12 years old max etc etc

Still,
Season 1-2 of BE will go down in history as one of the greatest TV shows ever

:blessed:

The breh Gyp tried to save the show but the damage was already done :mjcry:

Hypothetical question, the accepted theory is that due to Michael Pitt being super unprofessional the writers had to write Jimmy out thus effectively curtailing the potential this show had. Now if Jimmy had not been written out how long do you think the show would have lasted and how do you think events within that world would have played out?

Dr.HannibalLecter

Tha Realest
Daps
:beli:

So, we're supposed to believe that Tommy, for some reason left where ever he was and came back to Atlantic City, got in contact with his grandma that had been locked in an asylum for the last 7 years, was bumming around AC until Mickey Doyle, Nucky's right hand man, just happened to select him to work with Nucky and after multiple opportunities to kill him, waited until after he was arrested, and used his 1 phone call to hit Nuck's private line, Nuck, who had given up all power in AC, just happened to be in that room to pick up the call, bailed him out and despite just getting out of jail was able to get a weapon, shortly after revealing who he was :dahell:

Yeah, I think that's the most idiotic :trash: I've ever seen in a top/second tier show.

I feel bad for all the great actors, cinematographers, set/costume designers, casting directors, etc. cuz it's writing like this that almost single handedly ruined the show

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

This show would have worked better had it been about the rise of modern gangsters in America, it could have taken a leaf out of The Wire and given each season a clear theme. Characters would have crossed paths and depending on the season some are focused on more than the others. The first season starts with Nucky and Prohibition the final season ends with Siegel's vision of Las Vegas.

Daps
Reppin
London
I think Gillian should be the one killing Nucky, don't ask me how but would make more sense than Tommy Darmody. I mean the kid would believe the letters sent from his grandma? Who's in an asylum? :what:

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The breh Gyp tried to save the show but the damage was already done :mjcry:

Hypothetical question, the accepted theory is that due to Michael Pitt being super unprofessional the writers had to write Jimmy out thus effectively curtailing the potential this show had. Now if Jimmy had not been written out how long do you think the show would have lasted and how do you think events within that world would have played out?

I think Jimmy would have rolled with the NYC and Chicago young bucks for season three and be well on his way to being apart of the future of American organized crime. In season 4, Jimmy defends Nucky when things get too real and it looks like someone (gyp, narcissi, whoever) is going to take out Nuck and in doing so has a falling out with Lucky and Meyer. Jimmy and Nucky are back together being father and son for season 5. Nucky ultimately betrays Jimmy and Atlantic City by negotiating a sweet deal for himself to get out of the game with Lucky and Meyer. He does what Torrio does in the last season and becomes a senior advisor to the future commission (the atlantic city conference would be perfect for this). Jimmy dies. AC is taken over by NYC. Nucky realizes he has no legacy. No AC. He dies an old forgotten man. We know he was instrumental in forging the future of American organized crime but no one else does because he betrayed his legacy.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family

Dudes had long decided they werent going to like the season before it aired.

The complaints about prune face and dikk tracy not being in it are lame. Since the show started dudes been crying about it.

The show was about nucky. Always was. This season perfectly wrapped up HIS character arc.

Nucky was a great character. I loved the show and its in my top 5.

I think people just need time. This show will stand the test of time and be much more appreciated as time goes by

Had some of the finest acting and dialogue ever show on tv.