Boardwalk Empire Season 3 (Premieres Sunday 9/16) Trailer

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I thought it was great, but BE has always had a tendency to take a while for it get going.

And I'm I the only one that thinks that Nucky Thompson is the weakest character on the show out of all the regulars? Buscemi is a great actor, but this role was not made for him to play, and I think that Terence Winter missed the boat by casting him.

I would have agreed with you in season 1 but Buscemi is actually perfect for the role. I think this season we will see him apply his cunning and his quick wits to the gangster world. Dude is also learning that he can't let things slide and that he has to send messages, hence killing the thief in the beginning of the episode. I think this works better in the long run with a little awkward looking dude than a guy who is more physically imposing a la Tony Soprano

Habit

Banned
Daps
This was a fundamental decision they made with the creation of the series. Those guys (outside of Jimmy, Chalky and Harrow, the latter two I think is are great side characters, but their stories ain't more compelling than Nucky) are notorious in American culture. Absolutely telling any one of their stories would be better than a guy from atlantic city most have never heard of.

Loosely basing it in Nucky gave them some leeway to not be shackled by history and it allowed them to tie in all the major players of the era. I was skeptical of this approach at first...when Capone first hit the scene as a driver, I was like fukk this Atlantic City shyt, I wanna see his rise to power. However, sitting at the beginning of season 3, I think their way works fine. Nucky will never outshine the greatest stories in American gangsterdom, but he effectively brings them together imo

I think that's the whole purpose of showing all these gangstas working together, people forget the 5 families weren't already formed yet. Using standards of the modern gangstas against gangstas in the 1920s is pure comedy.

This show is 26 episodes deep, people acting like Nucky hasn't been beefing since season 1. My guess, Rossetti will move the story along. Shows on NBC, ABC, CBS, and Breaking Bad can be frivolous with their story lines. Boardwalk Empire is not that type of show.

somebody throw this nikka hexagram in the bushes

He brings really good points, I think because he likes Breaking Bad people question his judgement.

NSSVO

Veteran
Daps
hex is my bb nikka, but he is just going over the top to discredit BE. The reason some of us appreciate BE is because it's really carried by the acting. The plot is of course interesting, especially to history buffs, but it doesn't have a bunch of dramatic unbelievable shyt happen when they get in a writing bind. What's more dramatic, Rosetti killing a man over an unwarranted slick comment, or Walt blowing up a gangster's hideaway with some chemical match... and them saying the respect his gangsta and not kill him? I love both, but BE is a little more mature I guess.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
hex is my bb nikka, but he is just going over the top to discredit BE. The reason some of us appreciate BE is because it's really caried by the acting. The plot is of course interesting, especially to history buffs, but it doesn't have a bunch of dramatic unbelievable shyt happen when they get in a writing bind. What's more dramatic, Rosetti killing a man over an unwarranted slick comment, or Hank blowing up a gangster's hideaway with some chemical match... and them saying the respect his gangsta and not kill him? I love both, but BE is a little more mature I guess.

This is bullshyt breh. People had problems with the ep before I even seen the it. Literally the exact same shyt, in this thread. Go read the thread before I even posted in here.

Rosetti was a wack character, the ep was ok but not :whoo:

Yet I come in here, and say the exact same thing, and suddenly it's a problem, because I like "Breaking Bad"? How does that even make sense? :why:

So what about the other people here that criticized it? What about people outside of this board that ain't feeling it?

I guess it's all a vast conspiracy of "Breaking Bad" fans to discredit this show. :manny:

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Gyp doesn't seem like the type of guy who would be ok anyway he's a psycho . He kills a random passerby and Nucky figures it out meaning he knows he's a loose cannon . Rothstein is about money so they had problems before but he's like prop joe while gyp is Marlo a mad dog is a mad dog even with a bow on him . Unless hes that big of a deal in NYC then :leostare: I'm just speculating we do the same thing for other shows I like be :yeshrug:

Exactly. For some reason this is hard as fukk for people to understand. I guess you're just saying all that because of "Breaking Bad" though. :troll:

Fred.

Uptown WaYo87

HARLEM/BX
Daps
i love breaking bad and i think its writing is second to none...

but to me, it cant fukk with boardwalk empire overall. The atmosphere, the acting, the gangsta shyt and all the hustling moves that goes down is second to none. I already know what happens to capone,lansky,luciano, and rothstein at the end of their careers..but I DONT GIVE A fukk!! cause the acting is not only supbar..but its feels fukking great seeing them dudes at the bottom cause i cant wait to see them on top running shyt and starting MURDER INC and the National Crime Syndicate..

and as much as people hate nucky..why? i actually love steve buscemi more because of this role, i think he plays it perfectly. We only seen one episode this season so we cant act like hes gonna be a gangster for the rest of the season, we dont know what shyt hes going to get into involving politics so for now i think its safe to say we should all keep our fukking mouths shut...

and gyp rosetti? i love that nikka..its only been one episode but hes already flexing and that just lets me know shyt is going to go DOWN..we already know whats gonna happen with most dudes..so having a guy like gyp and richard harrow just makes shyt more interesting for me

i love this show front to back and no matter how much nikkas want to analyze it...its not gonna take away the fact how gangsta this shyt is

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
i love breaking bad and i think its writing is second to none...

but to me, it cant fukk with boardwalk empire overall. The atmosphere, the acting, the gangsta shyt and all the hustling moves that goes down is second to none. I already know what happens to capone,lansky,luciano, and rothstein at the end of their careers..but I DONT GIVE A fukk!! cause the acting is not only supbar..but its feels fukking great seeing them dudes at the bottom cause i cant wait to see them on top running shyt and starting MURDER INC and the Nation Crime Syndicate..

and as much as people hate nucky..why? i actually love steve buscemi more because of this role, i think he plays it perfectly. We only seen one episode this season so we cant act like hes gonna be a gangster for the rest of the season, we dont know what shyt hes going to get into involving politics so for now i think its safe to say we should all keep are fukking mouths shut...

and gyp rosetti? i love that nikka..its only been one episode but hes already flexing and that just lets me know shyt is going to go DOWN..we already know whats gonna happen with most dudes..so having a guy like gyp and richard harrow just makes shyt more interesting for me

i love this show front to back and no matter how much nikkas want to analyze it...its not gonna take away the fact how gangsta this shyt is

I don't think people hate Nucky but as Treasurer he was the best tier of that character....criminal, on some boss/white collar shyt. The only person arguably better is Rothstein.

Now he's being marketed as a full time gangster. The problem with that is there is a ton of gangster characters better than him. I'd rather watch Luchiano, Lansky, or Capone for an hour being gangsters than Nucky.

And I dunno what this show has to do with "Breaking Bad", and why it keeps getting brought up, but :yeshrug:

Fred.

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I love how Van Alden goes to the mirror saying
"Everyday in every way I'm getting better and better"

Based on how the plot is developing Everyday he's gonna get worse and worse :pachaha:

Uptown WaYo87

HARLEM/BX
Daps
I don't think people hate Nucky but as Treasurer he was the best tier of that character....criminal, on some boss/white collar shyt. The only person arguably better is Rothstein.

Now he's being marketed as a full time gangster. The problem with that is there is a ton of gangster characters better than him. I'd rather watch Luchiano, Lansky, or Capone for an hour being gangsters than Nucky.

And I dunno what this show has to do with "Breaking Bad", and why it keeps getting brought up, but :yeshrug:

Fred.

i brang it up only because i've seen so many people bring it up..and i do kinda feel like nikkas is only getting at you cause they know how you that dude when it comes to BB so when they see you criticize something they get offended and feel like you just shytting on the show..but even BB has shyt to criticize so to me its like :yeshrug:..they both great shows so we should all just appreciate the fact we witnessing epic tv like this

as far as nucky, he WAS great as a dirty politician but i think the overall theme of the last two seasons really pushed his character to the position hes in now where he cant be "half a gangster"...but i think eventually is going to get to the point wheres hes back to that white collar criminal spot because not only the great depression is looming in the series, shyt is going to get TOO real and live for the likes of him..and maybe gyp is going to expose that who knows

• Dap
Reactions: hex

NSSVO

Veteran
Daps
This is bullshyt breh. People had problems with the ep before I even seen the it. Literally the exact same shyt, in this thread. Go read the thread before I even posted in here.

Rosetti was a wack character, the ep was ok but not :whoo:

Yet I come in here, and say the exact same thing, and suddenly it's a problem, because I like "Breaking Bad"? How does that even make sense? :why:

So what about the other people here that criticized it? What about people outside of this board that ain't feeling it?

I guess it's all a vast conspiracy of "Breaking Bad" fans to discredit this show. :manny:

Fred.

Because I'm trying to use your love for BB instead of calling you a straight hypocrite. It doesn't matter though, we all are going to have different opinions. fukk it.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Because I'm trying to use your love for BB instead of calling you a straight hypocrite. It doesn't matter though, we all are going to have different opinions. fukk it.

Hypocrite, how exactly? We're gonna sit here and act like I didn't criticize "Breaking Bad", right? I guess I never commented on how convoluted the airplane shyt in season 2 was? How unlikely it was that Jesse just happened to date the chick whose little bro killed his boy the season before? Or how clunky the end to "Buyout" was in season 5?

That shyt never happened, huh? Oh wait, it did happen. All in that "Breaking Bad" thread that was stickied.

People need to stop putting this show on a pedestal. No show is above criticism, even if you think it's the GOAT.

Fred.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
BE stans just don't want criticism from BB stans especially when you have nikkas like Nagra shytting on GoT and BE talking about these series ain't about shyt.

Never mind the fact that BB has like a 2-3 seasons head start on them
:rudy:

BB is almost done and GoT has an estimated 10 more seasons to go (if they're doing two seasons per book) and who knows how long BE is going to last since Nucky's storyline doesn't end until 1933. Who knows how great or bad they will get during their run? People need to stop screaming GOAT until all of these shows are finished.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
BE stans just don't want criticism from BB stans especially when you have nikkas like Nagra shytting on GoT and BE talking about these series ain't about shyt.

Never mind the fact that BB has like a 2-3 seasons head start on them
:rudy:

BB is almost done and GoT has an estimated 10 more seasons to go (if they're doing two seasons per book) and who knows how long BE is going to last since Nucky's storyline doesn't end until 1933. Who knows how great or bad they will get during their run? People need to stop screaming GOAT until all of these shows are finished.

What that got to do with me though? Can I live?

shrug.gif

Fred.