Boardwalk Empire Season 3 (Premieres Sunday 9/16) Trailer

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
Solid season opener. I still think the biggest problem with the show is Nucky, but I didn't have an issue with any of his scenes.

I knew Manny was done for once they showed him at home with his wife.

1 nitpick

1. Assuming its been a few months since Jimmy (and Angela) got whacked, why does Richard choose that night to take out Manny? I'm guessing it had something to do with the talk with Gillian and how he felt about Angela.

watch the inside the ep with the creator and dude says he kills manny now because Gillian is trying to erase Angela memory so he decides to avenge her death.

NSSVO

Veteran
Daps

straight from wiki

On November 4, 1928, Arnold Rothstein was shot and mortally wounded during a business meeting at Manhattan's Park Central Hotel at Seventh avenue near Fifty-fifth street.[12] He died the next day at the Stuyvesant Polyclinic Hospital in Manhattan.[1] The shooting was allegedly linked to debts owed from a 3-day, high stakes poker game which he had participated in the previous month with several associates and acquaintances. Rothstein was said to have had a cold streak, and owed $320,000 at the end of the game. He refused to pay the debt, claiming the game was fixed. The hit was arranged to punish Rothstein for reneging on this debt.[13]
The gambler George "Hump" McManus was arrested for the murder, but later acquitted for lack of evidence.[13]
According to Kevin Cook in his book Titanic Thompson (2010), the poker game was fixed by a gambler, Titanic Thompson (real name Alvin Clarence Thomas) and his associate, Nate Raymond. Due to some complicated side bets, by the end Rothstein owed $319,000 to Raymond (much of which Raymond was due, by secret agreement, to pass on to Thompson); $30,000 to Thompson; and approximately $200,000 to the other gamblers present. McManus owed Rothstein $51,000. Rothstein stalled for time, saying that he would not be able to pay until after the elections of November 1928, when he expected to win $550,000 for successfully backing Hoover for President and Roosevelt for Governor. Thompson testified at McManus's trial, describing him as "a swell loser" who would never have shot Rothstein.[14] According to Cook, Thompson later told some of his acquaintances that the killer had not been McManus, but his "bag-man", Hyman Biller, who fled to Cuba shortly afterwards.[15]
In his Kill the Dutchman! (1971), a biography of Dutch Schultz, the crime reporter Paul Sann suggests that Schultz murdered Rothstein. He says this was in retaliation for the murder of Schultz's friend and associate, Joey Noe, by Rothstein's protégé, Jack "Legs" Diamond.
On his deathbed, Rothstein refused to identify his killer, answering police inquiries with, "You stick to your trade. I'll stick to mine."[16] Rothstein was buried at Ridgewood's Union Field Cemetery in an Orthodox Jewish ceremony.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
For REAL. Rothstein ALWAYS has the game in his hands. Him having Lucciano and them sign insurance papers was one of the most gangster moves of all gangsterdom. Real :ohhh: moment for me when he did that.....

i dont remember that scene, explain?

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
On his deathbed, Rothstein refused to identify his killer, answering police inquiries with, "You stick to your trade. I'll stick to mine."[16] Rothstein was buried at Ridgewood's Union Field Cemetery in an Orthodox Jewish ceremony.

:damn:

No snitchin'
even when he dying

So-Chi

Colfax to the burbs'
Daps
Reppin
goons in the cut tryna talk you out yo necklace
i dont remember that scene, explain?

season 1, it went like this:Two of those D'Alessio brothers they are looking for, Leo and Ignatius, are on a trip to New York along with Mickey Doyle at the invitation of Luciano to personally meet Arnold Rothstein. As with with previous meetings, it takes place in Rothstein's billiards room. They express their pleasure nee excitement at meeting Rothstein, who asks if it's because they know he makes fair deals. "A reputation takes a lifetime to build," Rothstein informs them, "but only seconds to destroy." The New York gangster says he understands the men are interested in making money in the liquor business. "Loads of it," Mickey giggles. Rothstein explains that there are two ways to make money in the alcohol business. One is to take cheap rotgut whiskey, dilute and sell it. "I was doing good with that myself," Mickey interjects. "That's the stupid way in which I have no interest," Rothstein responds. Rothstein goes on to explain that there is a growing market for quality whiskey from Britain and he would like to start shipping scotch from Europe to the three-mile limit and then smuggle it ashore. The ports of Atlantic City would be ideal for this purpose and ordinarily, Rothstein adds, he would deal with someone important in the port town and cut them in on the deal but he finds Nucky Thompson to be greedy and unreasonable. "Nothing a bullet in the eye won't cure," Leo says. To assure that they have a deal and that they won't chisel him, Rothstein makes the three men each sign life insurance policies worth $500,000, payable to Rothstein of course. Luciano says it's just an incentive to make sure they don't screw up. :win:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
season 1, it went like this:Two of those D'Alessio brothers they are looking for, Leo and Ignatius, are on a trip to New York along with Mickey Doyle at the invitation of Luciano to personally meet Arnold Rothstein. As with with previous meetings, it takes place in Rothstein's billiards room. They express their pleasure nee excitement at meeting Rothstein, who asks if it's because they know he makes fair deals. "A reputation takes a lifetime to build," Rothstein informs them, "but only seconds to destroy." The New York gangster says he understands the men are interested in making money in the liquor business. "Loads of it," Mickey giggles. Rothstein explains that there are two ways to make money in the alcohol business. One is to take cheap rotgut whiskey, dilute and sell it. "I was doing good with that myself," Mickey interjects. "That's the stupid way in which I have no interest," Rothstein responds. Rothstein goes on to explain that there is a growing market for quality whiskey from Britain and he would like to start shipping scotch from Europe to the three-mile limit and then smuggle it ashore. The ports of Atlantic City would be ideal for this purpose and ordinarily, Rothstein adds, he would deal with someone important in the port town and cut them in on the deal but he finds Nucky Thompson to be greedy and unreasonable. "Nothing a bullet in the eye won't cure," Leo says. To assure that they have a deal and that they won't chisel him, Rothstein makes the three men each sign life insurance policies worth $500,000, payable to Rothstein of course. Luciano says it's just an incentive to make sure they don't screw up. :win:

i remember that scene... didnt he have the brothers killed? or was that nucky?

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Doesnt Coolidge become pres tho? I don't know if he was corrupt as past presidents but he Nucky still has the Repub backing. I dont think thers a democrat till FDR in the 30's

Coolidge wasn't part of the "crew", if that makes any sense. He wasn't taking part in the handing out of scandalous shyt like bribes. He was pretty much an unknown, and members of the Harding Administration were still under investigation when Harding died.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The first ep back obviously had to spend some time "moving the pieces into place". This was a book keeping ep, I suspect things will escalate next week.

Nucky is cool but he's not that interesting compared to the side characters. Matter of fact, this is about the only show I can think of where you could remove the main character and it wouldn't matter much. There is all kinds of other shyt they can focus on.

I don't hate Margaret as much as some people, but they need to do something interesting with her character ASAP. Her chilling with her fam last season was :leostare: Her talking about hospitals this ep was :leostare:

Nobody cares about that shyt. Harrow needs more screen time. Best character on the show. Rothstein, Capone, Van Alden, Doyle....all great characters. I would rather watch Doyle giggle for 5 minutes straight than some of these Margaret scenes.

I still don't understand Nucky's full heel turn into gangster but :yeshrug:

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Oh and one more thing. I seen a few people saying Bobby Cannavale can't act and/or he's hammy as fukk as Gyp Rosetti. Not necessarily here, I think TV Guide or some shyt said it. I think he did fine.

Fred.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, I think it was EW saying he was too over the top, that the writers shouldn't have needed to kill the good samaritan to show that Gyp is a loose cannon.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Oh and one more thing. I seen a few people saying Bobby Cannavale can't act and/or he's hammy as fukk as Gyp Rosetti. Not necessarily here, I think TV Guide or some shyt said it. I think he did fine.

Fred.

i just dont like the guy. he's been an instant scene killer in everything ive seen him in... but its never been anything i like as much as BE, so i have faith they'll make me like him. As of now, i think that character is completely ridiculous and hope he dials it down a bit... but i dont think he's gonna.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
:russ:

Like I said him at the dinner table was like watching Comedy Central's Roast. I got no problem with how over top he is here. I mean we got a nikka that refers to himself in third person on the show. :dwillhuh: