Blade Runner 2049 (Official Thread)

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
If the sequel lives up to the hype, everybody will be running back to the original praising how genius it is

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I liked it the first time.:manny:

shyt, the Roy Batty speech at the end is one of my favorite acting performances of all time.:wow:
You're in the minority then. Most people, even people who claim it's their favorite movie say they had to watch it a few times before they appreciated and then ultimately loved it.

Daps
Just got out of it. I really don't know what to think. I'm going to need another viewing. Deakins' contributions are faultless - you're constantly lost in the wonder of the look of it - the cinematography carries the film on its shoulders, almost to a fault, because at times it becomes over-reliant on it. Wallfisch's and Zimmer's score - its only rival; just about everything else falls flat, especially conceptually.

The film can't make up its mind if it wants a soul, and at times stumbles across it, but doesn't realize it, and ultimately ends up without one.

Last edited:
Daps

Honestly, there was probably only one scene which left a lasting impression (there were quite a few which were only technically magnificent), and could've layered an interaction to an even greater height if it brought other things into focus.

When a distorted, halting Elvis hologram pelts these out -

There was something hauntingly beautiful about it (if only because the rest of the film was emotionally absent), that was reminiscent of the "In Dreams" scene in Blue Velvet.

Last edited:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Honestly, there was probably only one scene which left a lasting impression (there were quite a few which were only technically magnificent), and could've layered an interaction to an even greater height if it brought other things into focus.

When a distorted, halting Elvis hologram pelts these out -

There was something hauntingly beautiful about it (if only because the rest of the film was emotionally absent), that was reminiscent of the "In Dreams" scene in Blue Velvet.

The way you are describing it sounds how a lot of people felt about the first one.

Meaning this sounds like it’s a 12/10 monumental release.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
If the sequel lives up to the hype, everybody will be running back to the original praising how genius it is
People have been doing this since we were all kids. I think people know how incredible that first movie was which is why 35 years later people are opening these reviews somewhat shocked that a sequel worked.

Daps
The way you are describing it sounds how a lot of people felt about the first one.

Meaning this sounds like it’s a 12/10 monumental release.
Style over substance? Pretty much. Which is what I was fearing when I went into it. Which is a shame because there's a lot of great ideas in the film (you could argue too many), many of which don't build enough subtextual foundation to leave you to ponder about the human condition. It either briefly goes over one idea and before it has any thematic pull - it moves onto the next idea, or revisits an idea and tells it in the same manner.

It just feels rather empty. I kind of feel like I've been saying that a lot of the films I've watched recently.