Black teen misses bus, gets shot at after asking for directions in Rochester Hills

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
All my kids have their own cars. I know for a fact they can make it without their phone.
You sir just rendered your argument useless. Since your kids have cars they wouldn’t need to walk around and knock on doors. But for the sake of argument let’s say they were driving without a phone and the car breaks down. How do they get a hold of you?

knickscity

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Bed-Stuy
Racism aint going anywhere, I don't even blame the white folks for their reaction. I do expect awful punishment tho. But as black people especially living in a white part of town, you have got to raise the child better.

But it's obvious that there aren't many actual parents on this site. If a person cant function to get out their own neighborhoods without a phone, there is bigger issues at hand.

knickscity

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Bed-Stuy
You sir just rendered your argument useless. Since your kids have cars they wouldn’t need to walk around and knock on doors. But for the sake of argument let’s say they were driving without a phone and the car breaks down. How do they get a hold of you?
The same way I did and billions my age did growing up. cell phone weren't around that long. You guys are talking like toddlers now.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
The same way I did and billions my age did growing up. cell phone weren't around that long. You guys are talking like toddlers now.

If you were in the same situation as a teen in the 70s where you were lost in an unfamiliar neighborhood, what would you do?

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Racism aint going anywhere, I don't even blame the white folks for their reaction. I do expect awful punishment tho. But as black people especially living in a white part of town, you have got to raise the child better.

But it's obvious that there aren't many actual parents on this site. If a person cant function to get out their own neighborhoods without a phone, there is bigger issues at hand.
I’m a parent and posted this earlier in the thread

This jump to conclusion tho:scust:

My daughter is 9 and will be in middle school in a few years. She will no longer be able to attend the before and after school program I send her to now. She will have to catch public transportation unless me or her mother are able to get drop her off and pick her up. I will be getting her a cell phone just in case something happens when she is coming and going. Why would I take that away as a punishment?

knickscity

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Bed-Stuy
If you were in the same situation as a teen in the 70s where you were lost in an unfamiliar neighborhood, what would you do?
Firstly, I wouldn't be in that situation. I had to walk to the subway, and take the train at 14 on the other side of town. I knew how to get to school and back. technology makes some kids now just plain stupid.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
We came up in a different time. My mother used make sure I had some quarters on me when I left the house so I could use a pay phone if I needed to. Pay phones barely exist now so I doubt kids can use the same tools that we used to. I’m pretty sure if having a cell phone was an option she would’ve tried to get me one becuz they’re way more convenient

Daps

Oh so, now you see the value in asking what ifs in order to gain understanding of one's logic :mjpls:

So let's see if you're still dodging: if instead of her taking the phone, it broke the night before, would you be blaming her for allowing him to catch the bus to school as he had done the entire school year without incident?
Well that’s obvious. But we all make mistakes. Especially a 14 year old. I bet he won’t miss the bus again. And I bet his mother won’t let him leave without his phone again
And I'll ask you the same question, as well, since you seem to feel it's appropriate to blame the mother for this happening to her son.

knickscity

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Bed-Stuy
We came up in a different time. My mother used make sure I had some quarters on me when I left the house so I could use a pay phone if I needed to. Pay phones barely exist now so I doubt kids can use the same tools that we used to. I’m pretty sure if having a cell phone was an option she would’ve tried to get me one becuz they’re way more convenient
Agreed, times are different. Things that are intended as more convenient has turned into dependency. We aren't talking about a 9 year old though. We're talking about a child that is nearing or is in highschool than don't know how to get out of his neighborhood without google maps.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Oh so, now you see the value in asking what ifs in order to gain understanding of one's logic :mjpls:

So let's see if you're still dodging: if instead of her taking the phone, it broke the night before, would you be blaming her for allowing him to catch the bus to school as he had done the entire school year without incident?

And I'll ask you the same question, as well, since you seem to feel it's appropriate to blame the mother for this happening to her son.

why would the mother be at blame for something outside of her control happening to the phone? If the same situation happened with the only difference being that his phone broke instead of being taken away then the mother wouldn't have done anything to contribute to him being in a situation where he was lost without a phone.

Why you think this is a valid question is beyond me when the only reason the mother is being blamed is that she crippled her son by taking away a device that she purchased for him to have an avenue of communication in the event of an emergency.

He had a non-broken phone when he discovered he was lost, the problem is that it was not in his possession, that is a fact, now a hypothetical.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child

When did I ever blame the mother for her son getting shot?

But as far as your question goes that’s irrelevant. The phone didn’t break she took it from him. But let’s say it did break. He would’ve been just as assed out. At the same time that’s totally different than crippling your own child of means of communication

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
When did I ever blame the mother for her son getting shot?

But as far as your question goes that’s irrelevant. The phone didn’t break she took it from him. But let’s say it did break. He would’ve been just as assed out. At the same time that’s totally different than crippling your own child of means of communication

these what if's are very telling though. the only way to absolve the mother for her role in her son being lost without a way to communicate is to go to hypotheticals where she didn't take the phone away.

:mjpls:

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Agreed, times are different. Things that are intended as more convenient has turned into dependency. We aren't talking about a 9 year old though. We're talking about a child that is nearing or is in highschool than don't know how to get out of his neighborhood without google maps.
But the age I’m talking about getting my daughter a phone she’d only be a couple years younger than this kid. But based on the way you say you’ve raised your kids I’m pretty sure they’d know how to navigate their neighborhood. Based on that assumption wouldn’t you say that his parents are at least partly responsible for him not knowing how to get around?