Black students in Cali: only 20% pass MATH state test, 33% pass READING test

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I’m not moving goalposts. I’m being pragmatic. I LOVE the idea. But ur making my point in the impracticality of expecting this to happen sooner than school change at the local level.

And I never said parent apathy is at the heart of any of this. In fact I’ve said again and again that teacher quality is the primary indicator of student success.

I’m literally evaluating the efficacy of ur ideas and pointing out that they have been done and are being done...and u can’t account for them if people don’t participate, so that can’t be the primary route we address this issue...especially when doing so STILL won’t address a lack of quality instruction our kids are receiving.

It’s gotta be more than that.
OK, but just going by what you wrote here....
if it's impractical to think that parents will walk to the library this weekend with their children, it would be much more impractical to think that these same mass of parents would engage in the actions needed to make these political changes on the local level.

Who is going to drive these policy changes that you are talking about?

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
That's why I ignored a good portion of this thread. My first post I said I could already tell what direction the thread was going and it didn't disappoint. Though I applaud the efforts of some for trying to put an end to the lie that we don't value education.
Yeah I figured as much but the research speaks for itself. Even blk kids from affluent families are still suffering in this school system.

The most immediate fixes I’ve seen work is blk leaders, community advocates, and families raising hell at local school board meetings about their schools. My major takeaway from my research is that outside of homeschooling or removing kids to charter schools, state local legislation has to be forced by parents and community stakeholders to improve schools.

Sure we should inform blk families of ways to improve their involvement with their children at the individual levels, but those gains won’t help if their children are still being suspended or if they attending schools with inexperienced teachers.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
OK, but just going by what you wrote here....
if it's impractical to think that parents will walk to the library this weekend with their children, it would be much more impractical to think that these same mass of parents would engage in the actions needed to make these political changes on the local level.

Who is going to drive these policy changes that you are talking about?
I’ve seen blk parents in mass at school board meetings. I can’t quantify how many are going to the library or what they are doing individually in their homes.
There are certain things out of ur control like what families do on an individual level, and other measures u have a modicum of control over, like calling a zone superintendent and starting an investigation into one principal’s leadership that led to a change in administration and a school going from an F to a C.
One route requires for more resources to monitor than the other.

Not saying it shouldn’t be done but what do u think is going to have a more immediate collective effect? Changing the school or running after individual families?

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
I don't see why solutions always have to be this exclusive either or. I think it's safe to say that there are multitude of reasons that black students in Cali aren't doing well.

Its reasonable to assume it will take a multitude of actions to get things to change. Changes need to be done at a systemic level as well as at the home. Pretending like it has to be 100% either or while ignoringthe other is just silly

KingJudah2

All Star
Daps
Reppin
718 Kings County
Cali is no place for black people. Yall outnumbered there and the cracker liberals gave it away to mexicans already. nikkas need to leave that garbage dump

KingJudah2

All Star
Daps
Reppin
718 Kings County
Whole lotta juelzing in this thread. :mjlol:

There are studies, upon studies, upon studies that consistently show that no matter if it’s a low tier, mid tier, or high tier school, black students CONSISTENTLY underperform relative to their counterparts. Poor white and Asian kids manage to do well at the same “resource lacking” schools that ADOS struggle in. In all black schools, the top 10% of the class will almost always be damn near all black immigrants and not ADOS.

Y’all can get emotional, make excuses, and neg like fakkits. I’m telling it how it is. I grew up in it, I witnessed it first hand. Top 10% of the class would be nothing but Africans, Caribbean’s, and the literal ONLY 3-4 white and Asian kids who’re actually at the school. :mjlol: Y’all witnessed it too, but wanna be in denial and make excuses. African American culture is toxic and backwards. Literally do a scan of the type of threads that do numbers in TLR on the daily and it ain’t hard to see why. :manny:
Facts, sad to say yankees lag behind us and Africans. It can change but they gotta acknowledge that something wrong internally first. Idk if that gonna happen

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I’ve seen blk parents in mass at school board meetings. I can’t quantify how many are going to the library or what they are doing individually in their homes.
There are certain things out of ur control like what families do on an individual level, and other measures u have a modicum of control over, like calling a zone superintendent and starting an investigation into one principal’s leadership that led to a change in administration and a school going from an F to a C.
One route requires for more resources to monitor than the other.

Not saying it shouldn’t be done but what do u think is going to have a more immediate collective effect? Changing the school or running after individual families?
I think you avoided answering my question. YOU stated that it's impractical to think that you can force parents to take advantage of existing resources. I've said that ANY change....internal family practices and external systemic changes would be lead by the same people. The parents.
Apathy about changing those internal things is directly correlated to the type of apathy towards fighting for thoese external changes.

There is no way around that. Nobody has more vested interest in making those changes than the actual parents. The ones who are committed to making those changes will be lone voices amidst a sea of silent, uninvolved, unengaged parents.

NOW...what these GREAT parents eventually figure out is that WHILE they are fighting to change laws,rules,curricula ...that they better locate and take advantage of resources for THEIR children. It's not either / or and it never has been.

luckyse7enz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit/Los Angeles
Combination of a lot of things from my experience in the school system:

-Lack of parent accountability and involvement, of course. Go to conferences and compare the number of students in a classroom (which is WAY too many) to the number of parents showing up to discuss their student's progress.

-The student/teacher ratio leads to every student not getting the attention they need. Combine that with the vastly different learning levels you encounter in a single classroom. The more intermediate-advanced students will stay on level or progress while the students that need to catch up are more likely to continue to fall behind.

The result of this and the push for inclusion is you've got students at lower-levels getting frustrated and distracted. That turns into acting out/disrupting class. Managing those disruptions interrupt learning and the domino effect sets the class behind because many administrations will refuse to remove the student from the class.

-They keep pushing students through regardless of their levels, so you've got kids that missed the basic building blocks getting passed on from middle to high school and so on. A student may get to their junior year and they only read at an elementary level, but they'll get pushed through the entire time and the scores will reflect this throughout their academic career.

The entire system is deeply flawed. In my opinion, it definitely starts at home, but it's all a mess.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
For those saying it's an issue of culture, you're right.....but it's FAMILY CULTURE, not ethnic or nationality culture.

God Bless those kids who are natural winners, and who will succeed in life DESPITE having bad home environment.
But for the rest of us, the values and priorities instilled in us by our parents will give us the foundation for success in life....or not.

Flag that flies over your country is important, ethnic culture(s) you come from are important ,but more important than those is the home environment you are raised in. That family culture...what's important, what's tolerated & what the standards are.

teacher

All Star
Daps
He promoted Anti intellectualism for fast money. The early 90s was when the "keep in it real" nonsense got pushed as the forefront of black youth culture, right after they got did of Public Enemy and black power music.
I meant the drug dealer. The odds are against crack heads being good parents...

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I meant the drug dealer. The odds are against crack heads being good parents...

Yeah, the OG Rick Ross drug lord made mad black folk forego education and a good family structure for fast money and luxury items. That was when anti intellectualism was seen as "cool" and even seen black kids from good 2 parent households go that route to gain clout for their peers (women mainly).

teacher

All Star
Daps
Yeah, the OG Rick Ross drug lord made mad black folk forego education and a good family structure for fast money and luxury items. That was when anti intellectualism was seen as "cool" and even seen black kids from good 2 parent households go that route to gain clout for their peers (women mainly).

oh ok I still think crack had a bigger impact(way more crack heads then workers) on the community as a whole not to mention it was the catalyst to a lot of other negative sh!t. Every race has there deviants that do crime but when it seems like 80% or on that sh!t :picard:

wypipo are feeling it now that’s why they going so hard on prescription drugs

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
oh ok I still think crack had a bigger impact on the community as a whole not to mention it was the catalyst to a lot of other negative sh!t

It did, and also the reason why black kids from the 80s onwards mocked books and formal education, because fast money was around. That negative shyt of the crack epidemic also deaded positive black music and replaced it with dysfunctional tales that people cannot grow out of. The "real nikkas" phase stunted the growth of a lot of black kids' minds.