Black Star: No Fear of Time /// NEW ALBUM 5.3.22

u mad son?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just giving it a skim through quickly before I digest it later tonight.

Someone in here mentioned that the vocals dont sit right over the beats ... I kind of agree, the vocals sound way louder than the beats ...

I get that the low drums are in style these days but everything else seems to be really stripped down and minimal too. But not in a dope way like the original album was, its too stripped down, there's a lack of soul here, some of the beats sound like some rock shyt.

Supreme Alchemy sounds fire but why are the hats and cymbals so fukking loud, makes it hard to listen to.

I might be tripping though, this is just a very brief skim through. It even took Bandana a while to grow on me so.

Aquarius Snake

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Talk about floating on a track…

:wow::wow::wow:

A message from the ancient future, a fresh fossil
A piece of the buried gospel that the Earth refused to swallow
A seed grown into a tall tree, long sleeves
Ripe fruit and eating off the leaves, warm breeze
Live from the summer that the incline
And this has been everything beside a short ride (Short ride)
Marks the greatness, battle scars and bruises
Seen the reason, clarity, clashes and confusion
Live from the summer that the incline
And this has been everything beside a short climb
We done survived and thrived and where others have died and
Bed-Stuy, do or die, so, do is what I did
Get it on, get her done, another one, another one
Banging Madlibba drums, you can feel a different run
Where they get their rhythm from, the tipping point, T.O.P?
Black Star reconvened, boulevard of Anne Greene
That Kings County keep creating kings
Who make amazing and creative things
So give thanks for the aliquant raw, the elemental is sharp
God give us the design and we assemble an ark and just float

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
Well that's what most rappers do when choosing beats lol. That's how Jaylib was made. That doesn't make a cd worse because someone picked beats from a beat cd and rhymed to it. You guys are getting too technical in this hip hop shyt lol. Some of the greatest albums of all time were done in this format. There is no difference in a producer making a beat on the spot in the studio with you and giving you something he's had stored away. As far as "producing" a record, Madlib isn't that type of guy. He's not going to be in the studio having someone repeat a word for 2 hours like Dr Dre in a verse
They picked a bunch of blah beats then. His albums with other artists are just miles ahead of this for me

Pack2

..Pack2..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I absolutely love this project and so glad they finally released it :blessed:

Sweetheart :wow:

Madlib is just different man :ohlawd:

Talib absolutely killed this what a performance. He’s rapping his ass off on here.

I kinda get the comments about Yasiin sounding slow and slurred on some songs but IDGAF he still shines on this. One of the most unique talents/voices in the game. It’s so great to hear him and Kweli together again and over Madlib beats no less? :noah:

Suspicions

All Star
Daps
Anyone tried adding this to their iPhone and it isn’t adding to iTunes?

I only have it in the “files” section of my phone but wanna add it to my library

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Well that's what most rappers do when choosing beats lol. That's how Jaylib was made. That doesn't make a cd worse because someone picked beats from a beat cd and rhymed to it. You guys are getting too technical in this hip hop shyt lol. Some of the greatest albums of all time were done in this format. There is no difference in a producer making a beat on the spot in the studio with you and giving you something he's had stored away. As far as "producing" a record, Madlib isn't that type of guy. He's not going to be in the studio having someone repeat a word for 2 hours like Dr Dre in a verse
This is absolutely false

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
This is absolutely false
do you know that damn near every beat Primo has given Freddie foxxx are beats that other people turned down. Foxxx even bragged about that. MOST rap songs are beats from beat cds today. Rappers today just aren't flying out to sit in a studio and have a producer make some shyt for them on the spot. And correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Dre beats on 50s GRODT all beats dre had stashed away? Wasn't "in the club" for D12 initially? Stop the nonsense. this is 2022, it' snot 1988. damn near 99% of the game today do the beat cd thing...

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Finished my 1st listen, it's cool. Not remotely fukking with their 1st album but it's cool.

I don't agree with folks saying Kweli rapped better on this than Mos, Mos sounded more natural over this production and his lyrics had more depth. Even though his delivery was monotone, the way he put it together had more feeling and a clearer POV/tone than any of Kweli's verses.

A lot of Kweli's verses sounded like "hot 16" feature style verses, he had energy but it didn't feel like he put as much thought into what he was actually trying to get across. Kweli sounded like he was doing his best Royce Da 5'9 impression, his rhyme schemes & punchlines were always there but not much else.

Kweli really wasn't saying shyt the first three tracks, actually listen to what he's saying on those and try to picture what was on his mind when he wrote that shyt. Technically it's decent but as an expression of where he is as an artist he's rhyming like a mixtape rapper. Mos's delivery isn't punching through like it used to but he really is one of the best at distilling life experience into verses, he always has something interesting to say. That being said it's a fine line between that and rambling, "The Main Thing" had a rambling ass Mos verse lol. Ironically, Kweli had one of his deepest versest on that same track. The first three tracks alone cemented that Mos still the best rhymer in the group though.

EDIT: I also agree with folks who said Mos paid tribute to Doom on a verse or two, it's very clear on Yonder that he wrote it with that intention.

Last edited:

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
do you know that damn near every beat Primo has given Freddie foxxx are beats that other people turned down. Foxxx even bragged about that. MOST rap songs are beats from beat cds today. Rappers today just aren't flying out to sit in a studio and have a producer make some shyt for them on the spot. And correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Dre beats on 50s GRODT all beats dre had stashed away? Wasn't "in the club" for D12 initially? Stop the nonsense. this is 2022, it' snot 1988. damn near 99% of the game today do the beat cd thing...
"Beat CDs" aren't even a thing anymore. I'm sure all the cookie cutter flavor of the month nikkas really on that method, cats serious about their craft are going to feature studio-made beats. There is no "nonsense going on", if anything what you're talking about is more 1988 than 2022.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Talib really was the star on this album. He was rapping is ass off most of the time, wish Mos matched his energy on more tracks.
Mos energy been non existent for many years. It was a huge issue with that project he attempted with Manny. The weird tape he made in South Africa was also unfocused. Can't say I was caught by surprise here.

To me I expected a solid project given the three involved. This project is lackluster and like I said from first listen could pass for a random mixtape of theirs. Nothing worth firing up the press run over.

Hell the lack of posts in this thread says it all :francis: