Reppin
Syracuse
Blah, don't see myself coming back to this. Like Mos verse on Yonders though

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Mos seems more stream-of-consciousness and flow over being coherent on here but I dig it. Nice to see Kweli also tighten up his flow as well, he sounds better than ever and has the better lyrics of the two on here IMO
I’ve noticed Mos lyrics have more of an esoteric vibe to them since Lord Lord Lord.

really even dating back to The New Danger:yeshrug:
I fukk with it :obama:
I'm a huge sucker for stream of consciousness type bars. Ghostface, DOOM, Roc Marci, (sometimes) Evidence, Mach...I actually really like Mos on those type of raps. I don't like it as much from Mos as his early era stuff, but I think it's dope that he was super influenced by DOOM after already being a prestigious emcee.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who was the engineer?

The mixing sounds off on some songs.

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
I'm a huge sucker for stream of consciousness type bars. Ghostface, DOOM, Roc Marci, (sometimes) Evidence, Mach...I actually really like Mos on those type of raps. I don't like it as much from Mos as his early era stuff, but I think it's dope that he was super influenced by DOOM after already being a prestigious emcee.

This is my position too but I still feel like yasiin just isnt that hungry. I thought at least on Freequency with Thought the emcee in him would come out but nah. Its stream of conscious but kinda lazy. I did like the song where its just him tho I think its called so be it?

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
Who was the engineer?

The mixing sounds off on some songs.
have you ever heard a Madlib abum? Most of his beats can't be helped with mixing. They're so grimy and low quality :russ:. You have MF Doom as an avatar. Have you not heard Madvilliany? When I first heard that album on NY radio, I fell in love with a few songs. I downloaded the mp3 back then and thought it was just a low quality rip. I bought the album and it sounded the same lol. I still loved it.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
have you ever heard a Madlib abum? Most of his beats can't be helped with mixing. They're so grimy and low quality :russ:. You have MF Doom as an avatar. Have you not heard Madvilliany? When I first heard that album on NY radio, I fell in love with a few songs. I downloaded the mp3 back then and thought it was just a low quality rip. I bought the album and it sounded the same lol. I still loved it.

It's not the beats I'm talking about it's the vocals. They sound like they're poorly mixed and need to be leveled better.

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
It's not the beats I'm talking about it's the vocals. They sound like they're poorly mixed and need to be leveled better.
it's no worse than Madvillainy. For example, "supreme alchemy" on this Black Star album sounds like Talib was rhyming over the phone. I think that was the point of the song. Just like NWA's "approach to danger" in which they boosted the mids and it sounds like they were over the phone. And then on "so be it", Mos sounds like he's rhyming thru a handheld SM58 and Talib's vocals are mixed better. That was probably the case. They recorded in difference locations. These things happen. None of that stops this from being a dope album.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it's no worse than Madvillainy. For example, "supreme alchemy" on this Black Star album sounds like Talib was rhyming over the phone. I think that was the point of the song. Just like NWA's "approach to danger" in which they boosted the mids and it sounds like they were over the phone. And then on "so be it", Mos sounds like he's rhyming thru a handheld SM58 and Talib's vocals are mixed better. That was probably the case. They recorded in difference locations. These things happen. None of that stops this from being a dope album.

I had no problem with Madvillainy's mix nor am I talking about obvious effects like on Supreme Alchemy. I'm talking about songs like Sweetheart where the vocals sound off. They need to be brought down a level because they aren't sitting on top of the beat properly.

From song to song the vocals range from ok to sloppy. I've seen Griselda record in studios, small hotel rooms, big wide open rooms with different mics for each and never noticed a problem with the final product so it's not location. The engineer was not on his job.