Reppin
Toronto
smh

im not subscribing to some random bs platform to listen to one album
theyda been better off just selling physical copies if this the bs they on

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
This is....ehhh. Production doesn't fit "Blackstar." As a Mos album this could have been good, but Talib (and Black Thought) are out of their element on these tracks. I like the production although nothing really stands out as truly a "great Madlib beat." Very bass heavy, some loops and limited drums. Mos' delivery and stream of consciousness, somewhat avant garde lyrics/flows make it work. He's talking to the beat, weaving in and out. Whereas Talib largely sounds like a robot trying to improvise. Very stilted, joyless.

Best Talib performance is on Supreme Alchemy because he's able to find the wave. It's not a coincidence this has the most pronounced drums on here. Some rappers rap to the drums and that's not a knock. Black Thought, Nas, etc...you put them on every track on this album and the standout would be this track too for the same reason.

Love the DOOM references. There's a track where it sounds like Mos is just straight up paying tribute.

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
Thats exactly what they did
Well that's what most rappers do when choosing beats lol. That's how Jaylib was made. That doesn't make a cd worse because someone picked beats from a beat cd and rhymed to it. You guys are getting too technical in this hip hop shyt lol. Some of the greatest albums of all time were done in this format. There is no difference in a producer making a beat on the spot in the studio with you and giving you something he's had stored away. As far as "producing" a record, Madlib isn't that type of guy. He's not going to be in the studio having someone repeat a word for 2 hours like Dr Dre in a verse

ThaBronxBully

Postin’ & Toastin’ Since 02’
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
How The Hell Do We Listen To This? What’s It Streaming On?

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Well that's what most rappers do when choosing beats lol. That's how Jaylib was made. That doesn't make a cd worse because someone picked beats from a beat cd and rhymed to it. You guys are getting too technical in this hip hop shyt lol. Some of the greatest albums of all time were done in this format. There is no difference in a producer making a beat on the spot in the studio with you and giving you something he's had stored away. As far as "producing" a record, Madlib isn't that type of guy. He's not going to be in the studio having someone repeat a word for 2 hours like Dr Dre in a verse

I love the album. I’m just pointing out the poster was correct in his assumption. Make of it what you will but it doesn’t damper MY enjoyment of the album