BLACK soul food thread

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I would describe this more creole, than "soul food", if you add gumbo, gotta add etouffe, jambalaya etc..which usually arent cateogrized as "universal" soul food dishes.
Yeah, those are creole, but the use of the same types of seafood is a soul food thing, in my opinion.

Most black people eat crustaceans, different fish, and eat that as part of the "soul food" dishes. In Louisiana, they just use crawfish instead of shrimps, but the eating of it, is basically the same as other blacks in the south. The same with crabs. My family is from NC, and eating crabs was an integral part of the diet. I grew up with fish fries, and crab boils, and my family wasn't from Louisiana. I think what really sets the creole apart is the soup making using the seafood. And the spice used. The method to make it is still the same as other blacks in the south when they make roux. The roux is really the base of what makes a gumbo. My mother always made a roux when she fried fish or shrimp, I thought it was normal for everyone to do that. We just ate the roux with some rice, the creole's use it as the main dish when they make gumbo.

I wish I can find a vegetarian gumbo, I LOVE GUMBO:mjcry:

bdubsblo

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I never heard anybody say Black America has no cuisine. In fact, I'd go so far as to say soul food IS the food of America cause wtf do white people eat? Like seriously Idk what white people eat at home... I met my first non-hispanic cac like 3 years ago brehs... Meatloaf? Unseasoned chicken? Someone please tell me. Is it like soul food without the soul???
White "soul" food is refered to as "comfort food", at least that is what I have gathered during my intense anthropological studies of white people. This data is gleaned from sources such as People magazine, reddit, The Lifetime Channel, Reader's Digest, The Disney Channel and the food network the chans. These european-american epicurean inventions are foodstuffs such as meatloaf, roastbeef, dry-ass barbecue served on a piece of wood, pizza, pierogi and kielbasa, beef on weck, goulash, dumplings, mashed potatoes, mac-n-cheese (i call it cacaroni and cheese, kraft dinner type shyt), hipster versions of soul food, alcoholic beverages in mason jars, craft beer, wine, weber mustard, donuts, "southern fried chicken"(fried chicken with little to no seasoning),green bean cassarole (with french fried onions and cream of mushroom soup on top), bolonga sandwiches, bacon, ice cream, MILK

Colicat

Docile & dominant @ the same damn time
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Adjacent to the King
So let me get this straight...:jbhmm:

Instead of trying to redeem yourself from that sonning you received in that other thread, you keep pushing forward with your nonsense.
You really gonna end up hoisted up on your own petard if you stop with this silly narrative:pachaha:Be black and not know what the definition of soul food :mjlol: Funny coming from a Nigerian

Don't mind her, she's just mad cuz of the other thread

There is no sonning or anything to redeem imbecile... Trust me, no one is mad... I am laughing my ass off at your ignorance...

You were so blinded by rage that you completely bypassed my 1st explanation post where I explicitly stated that I was speaking of Black in terms of culture..... But because it was a Latina, folks jumped in to telling me I was wrong and "foul"... @SJUGrad13 :russ::heh:

Brehs (including you) and brehettes were arguing me up and down that a Latina and I shared the same culture. According to you and others in that thread, Latinas are Black.

So that coli logic only applies to women? Not the men? :mjpls:Not the food? :mjpls:

To @Colicat, black equals African Americans and African American culture only. A Puerto Rican poster called herself black and was supported so she caught feelings

Facts are not feelings... Y'all lame dudes are quick to say someone caught feelings when they are presented with that logical ether...Your off topic commentary showcases that you are "in your feelings..." you obviously felt some kind of way to take time out of your regularly scheduled program to comment on my posts:umad:

Colicat

Docile & dominant @ the same damn time
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Adjacent to the King
Im not sure wut point ur tryna make tho. Yes Afro-Latinos r black, but dis is a soul food thread aka African American cuisine. Not an all encompassing black food thread, in which postin dishes from all around the diaspora would make more sense.

Latinos and Latinas are not Black, but I agree about the African-American cuisine...

So let me legit contribute to this thread

A healthy alternative to fried catfish and okra:noah:

0826_MAFE_CATFISH.jpg

bdubsblo

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh and don't forget about the catholic fish fry during lent... 2 pounds of haddock or whiting with fries with malt vinegar and salt with a side of cole slaw, and a piece of white/garlic bread on the side, with a genny cream ale to wash it down...from a buffalo pizzeria on a friday in march... ultimate cac comfort food, corned beef and hash after lent, chrusciki,

Retired Account

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
There is no sonning or anything to redeem imbecile... Trust me, no one is mad... I am laughing my ass off at your ignorance...

You were so blinded by rage that you completely bypassed my 1st explanation post where I explicitly stated that I was speaking of Black in terms of culture..... But because it was a Latina, folks jumped in to telling me I was wrong and "foul"... @SJUGrad13 :russ::heh:

Brehs (including you) and brehettes were arguing me up and down that a Latina and I shared the same culture. According to you and others in that thread, Latinas are Black.

So that coli logic only applies to women? Not the men? :mjpls:Not the food? :mjpls:

Facts are not feelings... Y'all lame dudes are quick to say someone caught feelings when they are presented with that logical ether...Your off topic commentary showcases that you are "in your feelings..." you obviously felt some kind of way to take time out of your regularly scheduled program to comment on my posts:umad:

If derailing multiple threads isn't catching feelings then i don't know what is. No one ever said that AAs and Ricans have the same culture. They were saying that black Ricans exist. If recognize Europeans across different cultures as white people then why can't you do the same for black people?

I love sweet patato pie

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Absolutely nothing you just posted made any sense :snoop:

Soul food = African American southern comfort cuisine

Don't overcomplicate something simple :dead:

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If derailing multiple threads isn't catching feelings then i don't know what is. No one ever said that AAs and Ricans have the same culture. They were saying that black Ricans exist. If recognize Europeans across different cultures as white people then why can't you do the same for black people?

I love sweet patato pie

I'm sayin breh :mjlol:

bdubsblo

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Buffalo Soul Food... John Youngs Mambo wings (the original chicken wings from buffalo), Faygo redpop(i know it's white owned, but so is koolaid and thats considered soul food down south), chopped cheeses,chicken fingers,

Last edited:

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh and don't forget about the catholic fish fry during lent... 2 pounds of haddock or whiting with fries with malt vinegar and salt with a side of cole slaw, and a piece of white/garlic bread on the side, with a genny cream ale to wash it down...from a buffalo pizzeria on a friday in march... ultimate cac comfort food, corned beef and hash after lent, chrusciki,
And they really use actual corned beef!

Yo, for years I thought corned beef came in a can:deadrose:

It used to be chopped up. My grandma would fry that shyt, and we would eat it with some rice, and cabbage. We ate rice with everything, and still do.

That shyt used to be so good:ohlawd:

Little did I know corned beef didn't look like that. I was cool with this older white guy, and he made some corned beef. I looked at that shyt like "this is corned beef":krs:

The way he cooked the cabbage was booo:sadbron:

It had no flavor:scusthov:

bdubsblo

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And they really use actual corned beef!

Yo, for years I thought corned beef came in a can:deadrose:

It used to be chopped up. My grandma would fry that shyt, and we would eat it with some rice, and cabbage. We ate rice with everything, and still do.

That shyt used to be so good:ohlawd:

Little did I know corned beef didn't look like that. I was cool with this older white guy, and he made some corned beef. I looked at that shyt like "this is corned beef":krs:

The way he cooked the cabbage was booo:sadbron:

It had no flavor:scusthov:

Did he have the side of boiled potatoes too?