BLACK soul food thread

YoungSimpson

RIP Strika
Daps
Reppin
GA
Dem turkey winds doe:blessed:
o.jpg

My favorite aunt used to make the best damn pinto beans and rice ever before she passed. I'm out, a nikka getting sentimental:wow:
images

Jaz

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Bronx/Jerz
I feel like there's some underlining context here. But for understanding I love soul food tho. But those collar greens aren't real collar greens. There's no spices on that Shyt. Unless the following is added, that's not a soul food dinner.

Edit: This is a real soul food dinner

1) Yams
2) Collard Greens ( With spices)
3) Fried Chicken
4) Macaroni and cheese
5)Potato Salad
6) Corn Bread

:ufdup: If you don't have all that, you don't have a real soul food dinner.

I can only eat potato salad during spring & summer months !!!

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
brehs I've never had ox tails
:mjcry:

My grandparents are from the south but came north to get married/raise kids. We had everything else in terms of soul food but never had ox tails damn. And I don't think are any soul food joints near me...
:mjcry:

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
I just had some fried chicken recently from a hipster, yuppie, trendy type spot in SF...

:wow::wow::wow:

I think they sous vide the chicken...it was so juicy...breading was seasoned perfectly.

53d893fd72332a762c4f6114b3d9c5e1.jpg

FeloniousMonk

Dont mind me..Im a azzhole
Daps
Reppin
Them Lo Lifes...
If you are healthy, your body can deal with it, but if you are contantly eating it, problems can occur.
This is basically my point.

Authentically made "soul food" isnt healthy as a standard diet.

Some of us are leaving out chitterling, pickled pigs feet, hog head cheese and the like.

Again given the food was of better quality and substance wholly, than it is today.

Most of your vitamins are coming from the basic cabbage, green beans, or collard greens..and this again is mostly boiled with pork fat.

Im not saying we cant eat it in moderation.

Yet again, a daily diet high in salt/red meat/fried foods cooked in the authentic method is not good on the body.

FeloniousMonk

Dont mind me..Im a azzhole
Daps
Reppin
Them Lo Lifes...
Yeah, those are creole, but the use of the same types of seafood is a soul food thing, in my opinion.

Most black people eat crustaceans, different fish, and eat that as part of the "soul food" dishes. In Louisiana, they just use crawfish instead of shrimps, but the eating of it, is basically the same as other blacks in the south. The same with crabs. My family is from NC, and eating crabs was an integral part of the diet. I grew up with fish fries, and crab boils, and my family wasn't from Louisiana. I think what really sets the creole apart is the soup making using the seafood. And the spice used. The method to make it is still the same as other blacks in the south when they make roux. The roux is really the base of what makes a gumbo. My mother always made a roux when she fried fish or shrimp, I thought it was normal for everyone to do that. We just ate the roux with some rice, the creole's use it as the main dish when they make gumbo.

I wish I can find a vegetarian gumbo, I LOVE GUMBO:mjcry:
Its all about the spice and seasoning. You are most def correct.

Yet.

When you add certain spices and herbs that a people are known to use..usually that FOOD comes that cultures dish.

Its "soul food', yet I dont think its a staple compared to black eye peas, green, corn breads, mac n cheese, rice, ox tails, smothered/fried chicken/pork chops, etc when mentioned in the lexicon of afro slavery culture.

which use a standard salt/pepper base with minor seasoning for taste

And for the simple facts...shyt is to daam expensive to make compared to most soul food dishes that are accessible.

Oh..AND gumbo is one of my fav dishes btw.:ohlawd:

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Haven't been in several years but that's because it was absolute trash last time I had it. Last two times.

The best Soul food in Manhattan was Charles on 155th St by the Polo Grounds but he fell off something terrible. I feel like all the good spots are probably in BK now so yo all my BK nukkas...put a brutha on.

The buffet at Jacob's in Harlem is on point:ohlawd:

Sylvia's was never good to me.

Amy Ruth's used to be official until they expanded the dining area and probably came under new ownership.

If I want soul food I'll make it myself or hit Jacob's.

Kobes Two Jerseys

8 or 24 best player of the era
Daps
Reppin
Fistful of jewels
This is the food we grew up with including black american new orleans traditions

people will say black america has no cuisine

Yet we have popeyes,bojangles and churches chicken

like mexicans have chipotle and taco bell. Like italians have pizza-dominoes,pizza hut

post your favorite soul food dishes. Heres mine
ox tails
braised-oxtail1.jpg

macoroni and cheese
Baked-Macaroni-Cheese-Supper-for-a-Steal.jpg

And collard greens

collard+greens+2.jpg
:camby: That is nothing like Mexican food.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
The buffet at Jacob's in Harlem is on point:ohlawd:

Sylvia's was never good to me.

Amy Ruth's used to be official until they expanded the dining area and probably came under new ownership.

If I want soul food I'll make it myself or hit Jacob's.
Where is Jacobs???